Strength Training & Caloric Burn on MFP

Options
I just joined this the other day and I went to record my weightlifting workout from this morning and it did not provide any calorie increase to my total. Um, that sucks. I guess I can look on another site and add the average caloric burn for a person my size? I refuse to accept that I not only burned quite a few calories, but that I will continue burning hot calories all day and need the calorie ceiling raised. Big frown to you MFP.

Replies

• jessdextbent
    Options
    If you add Strength Training under Cardio it'll give you an estimate. I always record it here so my cals burned get recorded.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Welcom,

that section is to track your progress. you can enter "strength training in the cardio section to get an estimate of calories burned.

since you are new you may not be aware but there is a search function in the forum. This question is usually asked at least 2-3 times/ day, you should be able to get your answers that way.
  • rlbeaty42
    Options
    I wonder how a caloric burn estimate for strength training is made accurately? The intensity will change with the weight being lifted and number of reps. These are just some of the factors that will have an effect on caloric burn. I imagine tracking this type of exercise for calories burned is no easy task since the exercise is not continuous like running or jogging.
  • MissMollieD
    Options
    Thanks, I went back to investigate entering the estimate calorie burn and found that option under cardio. I agree with rlbeaty42 though, even in my own weight training regimen I will mix up the intensity to keep my muscles guessing, doing more compound lifts, quickly and other times doing more isolated, slower movements. I also think that this is set at a fairly low intensity, considering it only equated to 150 calories for me for an hour, which is the same as an hour long walk with the dog. My sweat this morning tells me I worked a little harder then that. Otherwise, this is one of the better food and exercise journals I have used!
  • KimKramer
    Options
    I completely agree that the Strength Training estimate on calories burned is WAY, WAY off! I have a heart rate monitor and burned an easy 350 in 30mins of lifting but on this site it gave me 100?!?!?! I am thankful for my monitor, a good workout can get to 700 cals easily! You need to know so that way you are eating enough to fuel your body!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Take an estimate here with a grain of salt. You can imagine that the dainty young lady with 200 on a squat or that other person with 700 are burning significantly different amounts.