High protein, low carb diet... headaches?

Options
2»

Replies

• 134Megan
    Options
    I thought this is due to the flushing of liquids that happen at the beginning of a carb diet. I believe Potassium supplements are sometimes recommended. 4 tablets of 90mg or mcg a day...can't remember exactly. The potassium is also good if you start noticing you are getting more cramps.
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    It's also not unusual to feel warm when eating a higher protein diet. Some people report that it subsides after a couple of weeks.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Just an update - the headaches did stop eventually, my body finally got used to it. I was never REALLY low on carbs (always between 100-130g), but I think that changing my diet so abruptly (protein up to between 150-180g) and also introducing whey protein powder to my diet partly caused the headaches. Also, most of my carbs now come from vegetables and fruits instead of bread, pasta, and rice. I'm still feeling quite warm all the time, but that's not necessarily a minus. I kind of feel like it's a sign my body is kicking it into gear. :wink:
  • Fuzzymountaindew
    Options
    My migraines are caused by chemically processed foods. MSG, Anything Hydrolyzed or hydrogenized &&&& especially protein extracts. Powdered protein will give me killer headaches that are like sinus headaches on steroids. &&& the days following the bad headache, I will be out of it, Almost in a daze. Just saying, if you were having a migraine, I bet it was the powdered protein. Natural is the only protein that I can have, which kind of sucks when your into weight lifting but it is what it is.
  • JaimieAG
    JaimieAG Posts: 48
    Options
    It's probably the sugar you're withdrawing from. Low carb = very low sugar. Sugar and caffeine have similar withdraw symptoms.

Avoid artificial sweeteners
    Eat a piece of fruit in the morning and then again whenever you'd normally get a sweet snack. Fruits are good carbs.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Talk about a necro thread.
    This was posted back in 2011.

Why did you resurrect a thread that is 3 years old?
  • JaimieAG
    JaimieAG Posts: 48
    Options
    Haha! True! Just noticed myself.