My shins are killing me

Options
I just ran and my shins are killing me! This is the first time it's happening in months!! Any tips/help on how to make it feel better is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    You may need new shoes. Depending on how much you run, they usually need to be replaced every 500 miles or so. If your shoes are newer, you may be wearing the wrong type for your foot or running style.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Yup, new shoes will help. I never believed it when someone told me. But then i did my research and bought a decent pair of new balance and i never had a problem in 4 years!
  • mrimike
    mrimike Posts: 139
    Options
    Go to a reputable running shoe store and have them fit you with the right shoe. I also bought Sole inserts and LOVE them! They make a huge difference for me. I used to have chronic shin splints too.
  • p_funk
    p_funk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It is probably shin splints. Not much you can about them really. But as suggested, you may need to new or better shoes.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    You could go to Running Away Multisport or Fleet Feet. They both complete the gait analysis for your feet. But I do not recommend buying shoes from them as they can be really pricey. You could say you just aren't interested in the colors they have or your family member is buying you shoes for xmas and you will recommend them to go to that store-lol.

They are very convincing sales people though. I bought a pair of Brooks Ghost shoes from Running Away Multisport. They turned out horrible for me. I couldn't run fast in them to save my life. I kindly returned them after the muddy Hot Chocolate race in chicago. They did kindly take them back. :)

Then I bought a decent pair of New Balance- so far so good! I've always been happy with New Balance, I shouldn't have left that shoe to begin with.
  • sunnyzephyr
    Options
    As far as getting rid of them, ICE! Thats what I do. As far as prevention, shoes are definitely important. But some people, like me, get them pretty much no matter what. But things that help me are running on softer ground, not pavement, and running on an incline. Downhill is really painful for me, but up hill seems to relive the pressure on my shins.