Advice for a soon to be non-smoker?

Options

Replies

• debswebby
    Options
    Why don't you quit tomorrow?? Why wait until January 1st??

Setting a date for when to quit is a lot easier than just doing it for most people. Its like saying goodbye to an old friend and you need to prepare for that. Its emotional when you think of all the times you have a cigarette and what you'll be missing out on.

When you have actually quit for just a few days you will start thinking "what on earth was I doing to myself?"

The biggest tip I can give is not to replace the cigarettes with snacks. So many people say they put on weight when they quit but they don't know why. My nana did that. I reminded her that she was eating a huge bar of chocolate EVERY DAY! Nicotine does not make you thin. Giving it up does not make you fat.
    Oh and don't even give listening space to anyone who tells you that you can't quit and lose weight at the same time because you can. I have quit 3 times now and I never gained weight because of it.
    Good luck. Enjoy your Christmas ciggies and then say goodbye without a backward glance
    xx

Wow! You hit the nail of the head. Someone that's never smoked doesn't understand that cigarettes ARE like a friend, and one that you've had a lot of good times with. You're whole life revolves around smoking, and planning your next cigarette.

Couldn't possibly expect someone who's never smoked to understand. Some people can just throw them away and have done with it. My Nana did. I needed time. I still miss them. I'm going away for the weekend soon and I'll miss them then so much. We're not allowed to smoke in the pubs here so I love going outside and playing with the naughty kids. Especially when I go to Liverpool. I have just as much fun outside

I have to admit though that I'm not a dedicated non-smoker. I tell myself that I haven't quit, I'm just choosing not to smoke at the moment. If I know I can have one whenever I want to it takes the temptation away. Different things work for different people.

How are you going to do it? Cold turkey? patches? Champix? I took the drugs. Why make it harder?
    xx
  • tiffprl
    tiffprl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have set many dates, wasted lots of paper printing articles on Quitting and or Quitting plans. All I can say is I AM READY, feel free to add me as well. The more motivation/encouragement the better, for me anyway!
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    I quit smoking January 17 of last year, when I turned 40. I had smoked for 26 years!! I was told about a book titled THE EASY WAY TO STOP SMOKING by Alan Carr. What a great book! I read it and didnt pick up another smoke since. I really recommend buying it, Found it at Borders for $13.95. Good luck!!

Yeppers, I was going to tell my story as well but wasn't sure if I could mention the actual name of the book here. Anyhoo, I've been a non-smoker for 3.5 years now and read his book one Sunday night and never looked back since! I had been smoking for close to 20 years. And I was a true addict. But understanding the psychological side of smoking and my quit really helped me see and feel what was happening to my body and my mind. Good luck! It's one of the greatest feelings in the world.

P.S. It's easy for someone who's never smoked a cigarette in their life to give you advice. But until you've been there, there is no way anyone could understand. So if you chose January 1st and you are comfortable with that date, then do so. It's different for everyone. Be strong and you will succeed, one day at a time! Online support is also crutial. I was on whyquit.com and the support was tremendous.
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Setting a date for when to quit is a lot easier than just doing it for most people. Its like saying goodbye to an old friend and you need to prepare for that. Its emotional when you think of all the times you have a cigarette and what you'll be missing out on.

When you have actually quit for just a few days you will start thinking "what on earth was I doing to myself?"

The biggest tip I can give is not to replace the cigarettes with snacks. So many people say they put on weight when they quit but they don't know why. My nana did that. I reminded her that she was eating a huge bar of chocolate EVERY DAY! Nicotine does not make you thin. Giving it up does not make you fat.
    Oh and don't even give listening space to anyone who tells you that you can't quit and lose weight at the same time because you can. I have quit 3 times now and I never gained weight because of it.
    Good luck. Enjoy your Christmas ciggies and then say goodbye without a backward glance
    xx

Wow! You hit the nail of the head. Someone that's never smoked doesn't understand that cigarettes ARE like a friend, and one that you've had a lot of good times with. You're whole life revolves around smoking, and planning your next cigarette.

Couldn't possibly expect someone who's never smoked to understand. Some people can just throw them away and have done with it. My Nana did. I needed time. I still miss them. I'm going away for the weekend soon and I'll miss them then so much. We're not allowed to smoke in the pubs here so I love going outside and playing with the naughty kids. Especially when I go to Liverpool. I have just as much fun outside

I have to admit though that I'm not a dedicated non-smoker. I tell myself that I haven't quit, I'm just choosing not to smoke at the moment. If I know I can have one whenever I want to it takes the temptation away. Different things work for different people.

How are you going to do it? Cold turkey? patches? Champix? I took the drugs. Why make it harder?
    xx

I think I'm going to use chantix, I used it before and it helped, I just wasn't ready mentally.
    I've contemplated telling myself that I'm not quitting, just not smoking for now. Every time I think about never having a cigarrette again I don't even want to try. I'm glad it's working for you.
  • mnishi
    Options
    bauer1971, joj52610, lexmb1 I just ordered the book online. Thanks!
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    I quit in 1998 (the last time). I quit several times before that but ......... Anyway, long story short, I saw my grandma laying in a hospital bed, gasping for air because she had smoked all of her life and decided to quit at that time. I threw my cigarettes in the trash can at the hospital and haven't smoked at all since then. She died the next day. It's tough to quit until your head is right. Just like it is tough to lose weight until your head is right. Once you learn how to master that mental fortitude, it is all downhill from there. No one can tell you how to do that. You have to figure it out on your own. At least, that is how it has worked for me. We have a weight pit in our office. I take my "cigarette breaks" by getting up from my desk and walking over to do a set of whatever muscle group is in the plan for that day and I chew the hell out of sugarless gum. My advice is, don't wait for January and don't even wait for tomorrow. If you REALLY want to quit, throw them in the trash RIGHT NOW and never look back. Best wishes!
  • debswebby
    Options

xx

xx

I think I'm going to use chantix, I used it before and it helped, I just wasn't ready mentally.
    I've contemplated telling myself that I'm not quitting, just not smoking for now. Every time I think about never having a cigarrette again I don't even want to try. I'm glad it's working for you.

I don't believe in going cold turkey. I chose the drugs straight away. Feel free to add me. We can choose not to smoke together :happy:
  • bauer1971
    bauer1971 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You wont be sorry! Good luck!!
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options

xx

xx

I smoked. I smoked for 16 years. Sometimes 2 packs a day. I decided I was going to quit and quit the next day. I don't buy this, if you want to quit, quit. The end.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too! I'm planning on quitting by January as well! Good luck all!
    I plan to do the same. I'm pretty much ready to quit now, but my husband is aiming for Jan 1, and its easier if your partner is with you, plus I know it will be way too easy to turn to food with all the extra crap that will be sitting around my office. I'm determined to do this without gaining weight this time!
    Feel free to add me, any Jan 1 quitters...
  • sdguy2002
    sdguy2002 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have quit now for 15 days. I have quit before but this time should be for an extended period of time. Firtst you have to look at it as every 24 hours without a cigarette as a success. Also for the first time i called the 1800 no butts and they sent me material and tests that i filled out. After identifing what my triggers were it was easier for me to say no to a cigarette because i noticed hey its not that i feel i need a cigarette i just feel stressed. The 2 techniques i have used is breathing...alot. excissivley someties but it has been working; and gum for theat oral addiction. I also usually have a pen or something in my hand for the joy of holding something. The support from the person on the hotline wasnt much but the paperwork helped me. Also i would quit on the first of the month because it is easier to track. For your case in particular i would start on dec 1st. Ask for your material now. so byt the time jan 1st come s around and you start running your body is healed and running would be easier
  • Emily102102
    Emily102102 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I quit in September
    Set a date & syke yourself up!
    I had a big calender hanging up & everynight before bed I put a big red X on that day (if you do not smoke!)
    That Helped me A LOT! I couldn't stand the thought of having a gap between X's!
    I counted days until day 10 & after that I stopped counting because it was easier (kept doing the X's tho)
    Have some healthy snacks around & gum too!
    I Also quit drinking coffee & drank wine instead of beer until I was over it!
    I did gain 10-15lbs but I'm working it off now :) No Big Deal

Had my last smoke 9-2-2011 & Have NO desire to ever smoke again
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    Have you guys heard of the phone ap "Quit Now"? I've already downloaded it in preparation, and you put in your quit date and time (when you actually DO stop) and how much you smoked + pack price you usually pay, and it will tell you at anytime how much money you've saved, and also what your health benefits are so far. I'm really looking forward to using it.....
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Have you guys heard of the phone ap "Quit Now"? I've already downloaded it in preparation, and you put in your quit date and time (when you actually DO stop) and how much you smoked + pack price you usually pay, and it will tell you at anytime how much money you've saved, and also what your health benefits are so far. I'm really looking forward to using it.....

Yes! I also used that to track how much money you saved, how much time it had been since you quit, etc. I used it until my 1 year anniversary. I really enjoyed it and it truly motivated me. I mean within hours I could see that there were already health benefits. Every bit of support helps!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options

Yes! I also used that to track how much money you saved, how much time it had been since you quit, etc. I used it until my 1 year anniversary. I really enjoyed it and it truly motivated me. I mean within hours I could see that there were already health benefits. Every bit of support helps!
    Cool.. I'd like to make a plan for setting that money we would have spent on cigarettes aside for a set period of time and then using it for something fun (or just pay off a bill). I think that will be a great motivational tool :)
  • mnishi
    Options

Cool.. I'd like to make a plan for setting that money we would have spent on cigarettes aside for a set period of time and then using it for something fun (or just pay off a bill). I think that will be a great motivational tool :)

That's a great idea, I think I'll use my saved money on an awesome vacation or something that'll really keep me motivated.
  • ms78
    ms78 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow! good for you!

Part of my job is researching how to help people stop smoking. A big help is nicotine replacement therapy (patches, spray, gum etc) - it really reduces your chance of relapsing. Also - one way I have heard is good (although I can't personally vouch for it) is Allen Carr's easy way - its a therapy session that changes the way you think about quitting - rather than missing something you enjoyed, they make you feel that you have escaped from a habit which is damaging your health and your wallet.
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If you hate the idea of being a social smoker I also recommend you try not to drink too much! Sure you can have one or two but after the 4th 5th or 6th the is a strong chance that you'll end up smoking! I got lucky, and lots of people hate me for it, in that I went from 20 a day to 1 or 2 whenever I fancy in the blink of the eye but find myself smoking almost an entire pack when I'm real sloshed (though this has subsided a lot recently, as I get more used to not smoking whilst drinking)
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    When I started running 3 weeks ago I was a half a pack a day smoker... went from running 1 mile to 6 on my last run @ 10 min pace... so don't let your mind trick you into thinking you can't run because you were a smoker.
    I've decided to quite smoking on Jan 1st!!! And I'm going to try to replace smoking with running, I'm hoping that it I focus on running, it might make the cravings easier. If all goes well, I will reward myself at the end of Feb by signing up for the Chicago Marathon (something I've always wanted to accompl....ish but couldn't because of smoking). I've been a smoker for half my life, 15 years, and I'm so scared that I won't be able to do this and will just end up disappointing myself. Are there any ex-smokers that have some advice for me?

Also, if there are any smokers that would like to join me, we can kill this habit together!
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I've decided to quite smoking on Jan 1st!!! And I'm going to try to replace smoking with running, I'm hoping that it I focus on running, it might make the cravings easier. If all goes well, I will reward myself at the end of Feb by signing up for the Chicago Marathon (something I've always wanted to accomplish but couldn't because of smoking). I've been a smoker for half my life, 15 years, and I'm so scared that I won't be able to do this and will just end up disappointing myself. Are there any ex-smokers that have some advice for me?

Also, if there are any smokers that would like to join me, we can kill this habit together!

Good for you!! You CAN definately do this! I smoked for 18 years and quit for life 10 years ago, thank God.

My advice...between now and Jan 1 start cutting back. Try every other time you go to grab a cigarette to say, no...not yet. I'm going to wait 20 minutes. Then go do something else for 20 minutes, walk, run, read a book, laundry...whatever...just do something else and make yourself wait those 20 minutes. Then gradually do this for every time you reach for a cig. Training yourself to wait is part of breaking the habit.

What worked for me was to do the above till I was at a half pack a day. Then, I made the rule "no smoking in the car". Enforce that with yourself and be strict. Tell yourself "I can wait till I get home" or "I can wait till I get there". Then when you do, only smoke a half and toss it.

Then, when I was ready to say "NO MORE"...I upped my vitamin B (helps with mood), bought some crunchie fresh green beans (huge bag fulls...they're roughly the same shape/size of a cig) and also bought Celestial Seasonings "tension tamer" tea (it also has valerian and other mood regulating herbs).

Every time I had a craving...I said a prayer...literally "Please God, help me thru this craving!" and ate those beans by the fist full till the craving passed. I drank tons of that tea too!!

I figure the green beans being the same shape and size and crunching on them like mad gave my hands and mouth something to be occupied with till I got thru the craving.

It really worked. May sound dumb, but I've been smoke free for 10 years now and it only took me about a week to break the habit for good this way.

Set yourself up for success and beleive that it can be done! Good luck!!!