NSV - Best doctor visit ever

Options
I went for my 6-month checkup today. Since I am a diabetic, it was nice that my physician had stretched out the visit to every 6 months, instead of the usual quarterly check-up. I was not expecting what happened then.
You see, I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2000. I lost 60 lbs over the next year, and I thought I was doing well. But despite that, my medication was increased each visit. Then, when the bad habits came back, caused in part by some life upheavals, and sent my weight back up (thankfully never as high as it had been before), the diagnoses increased, and the list of prescriptions mushroomed. I was taking eight different prescriptions, some with multiple dosages.

Today, thanks to good eating and exercise, I was taken off four of those medications, with another one on the chopping block. In all my years I have never dropped a medication, and in fact, my doctor said it was the first time in her recollection that she had cut so many medication at one time. I attribute this to my wife, for helping me stay on track, and this awesome site, which makes it easy for both of us to do so.

Replies

• goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome NSV - well done you!
  • nicolio8699
    nicolio8699 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    awesome, friend! what a very big deal that is!!!! congratulations, you deserve to be recognized for this astounding achievement:) <3<3<3
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I went for my 6-month checkup today. Since I am a diabetic, it was nice that my physician had stretched out the visit to every 6 months, instead of the usual quarterly check-up. I was not expecting what happened then.
    You see, I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2000. I lost 60 lbs over the next year, and I thought I was doing well. But despite that, my medication was increased each visit. Then, when the bad habits came back, caused in part by some life upheavals, and sent my weight back up (thankfully never as high as it had been before), the diagnoses increased, and the list of prescriptions mushroomed. I was taking eight different prescriptions, some with multiple dosages.

Today, thanks to good eating and exercise, I was taken off four of those medications, with another one on the chopping block. In all my years I have never dropped a medication, and in fact, my doctor said it was the first time in her recollection that she had cut so many medication at one time. I attribute this to my wife, for helping me stay on track, and this awesome site, which makes it easy for both of us to do so.

Congratulations! That is definitely an awesome NSV!
  • debswebby
    Options
    That is an outstanding achievement. Doctors don't just take you off meds for no reason. Seriously you should be so proud of yourself. YOU have turned your life around so significantly.
    Big round of applause from here. well done :flowerforyou:
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    That is really wonderful!!!!
  • ajrulo
    ajrulo Posts: 50
    Options
    That is fantastic!! Congratulations, that is quite an accomplishment.
  • DGomez22
    Options
    Congrats!!! Keep up the AWESOME work!!!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Fantastic. Good health is really the most important thing.
  • DGSki
    DGSki Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You should be so very proud! What a great accomplishment!! Keept it up!
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    One of the best NSV's I've seen! Congratulations!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Your healthier lifestyle is really having a huge impact. That's such awesome news!
  • Seenu67
    Seenu67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I have had the same thing happen since using this app to focus on my eating habits. Doc was shocked at how well numbers were going.
  • Kerry1023
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations. You should be so proud :)
  • baybear14
    baybear14 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • CharmCityBella
    CharmCityBella Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful news! Congrats to you and keep up the good work!
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome to hear!

My husband is severely obese with high blood pressure and a family history of type II diabetes. I keep hoping he'll come to his senses before the diabetes diagnosis happens, but if it does, maybe it'll get him off his rear. I'm glad to hear that this has worked for you. Maybe I can use it to convince him that he can do it, too, before the diagnoses start.
  • dana01996
    dana01996 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Your children and I are very proud of you. <3
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    @cheri0627, it was an earth-shaking diagnosis back then. Keep encouraging him to get up and move around.
    But in my case, it really took that shove to get me going.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Dana, I intend to be around for you and them for a long time.

The doctor did notice a little over-activity in my tear glands after she told me the news, but fortunately there was a tissue handy to treat it..
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    That is such wonderful news. My aunt died last year when she went into a diabetic coma due to being an undiagnosed diabetic. Diabetes runs rampant in my family and I am here right now so I do not become the next victim in my family. You give me hope. Thank you for sharing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!