Celiac Disease

Options
Hello all. I went to the Dr. this morning b/c I have been having some health issues. It seems I may have celiac disease. I am just looking for others who have this. I am looking to get tips on how one might eat gluten free. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    hey there, i've been diagnosed celiac for almost 4 years now. when you are brought up with gluten it def is hard to transition but it's more our minds getting in our way, it gets easier. friend me if you'd like i always have my diary open. i've found that the primal lifestyle works for me personally, but i know alot of celiacs that still eats not gluten grains often (corn, rice, buckwheat, quinoa, potato, etc)
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    We have a Gluten Free group in the groups section that you are welcome to join. It's a hard diagnosis at first, but after awhile you realize it forces you to eat A LOT better!
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    It gets easier. I tend to avoid things in a package, because there's usually gluten there. And the gluten free ones tend to taste like gravel :bigsmile:

Fortunately, though, there's a TON more awareness about it now than there used to be, so it's a lot easier these days.

And I just made the best pie crust I've ever tasted out of almond meal. It was so good it'd make the gluten eaters jealous! Made me happy!
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    And look forward to feeling a lot better! I couldn't believe the new mental clarity I had after just one week of giving it up. I hadn't even realized I was foggy before. And my IBS is pretty much gone! So enjoy your new health! :wink:
  • myurk
    myurk Posts: 108
    Options
    Hey! Not going to lie, the first few months will be frustrating after diagnosis. You will need to read every label, do your research to figure out what ingredients gluten can be hidden in, where to find gluten free products etc. But after that, you will master the art of being Gluten Free and will realize that its not so bad, you can almost find GF options anywhere you go. Personally, I find that by cooking naturally GF foods at home (Meat, vegetables, rice etc.), I eat way less processed foods and am more aware of what I am putting in my body. Watch out for GF processed foods (cakes etc.) --> Have a lot of sugar etc. Feel free to add me for meal ideas or help with CD
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    We have a Gluten Free group in the groups section that you are welcome to join. It's a hard diagnosis at first, but after awhile you realize it forces you to eat A LOT better!
    I agree it does force you to eat healthier because you have no other choice with celiac's if you want to feel good..
  • funkyed
    funkyed Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi...I have been gluten-free for almost 2 years since being diagnosed with celiac...While there are many products on the market which state they are gluten-free, you have to be watchful of the ingredients on the label...Also be careful not to consume too many carbs as that will put on the weight as I can attest...There are several good gluten-free brands such as Udi's, Glutino and Amy's, but they are expensive compared to regular products...I eat a lot of corn and rice based products which are gluten-free...Just stay clear of wheat and oats, but be cautious because is in everything you might not think it's in...Just be an educated label-reading consumer, and you'll do just fine...Some people are more gluten-intolerant than others...You will survive this condition, just don't get too obesessive about it...The world is becoming more aware of our celiac condition...Good luck!!!