Group Fitness Classes

I was wondering if anybody has an estimate of how many calories are burned in a 60 minute class of Body Pump, Body Step & Combat? I love taking these classes but I have no idea how much I am burning. Thanks!

Replies

• KimertRuns13_1
    KimertRuns13_1 Posts: 702 Member
    I am a huge fan of BodyPump. I typically burn around 500-600 in a class. I'm 164 lbs and wear a HRM. I also use heavier weights than most people in my class and am a sweaty beast when I leave, most people in my class are not. I think you can get a general idea of caloric burn range on Les Mills website though.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    I usually burn between 450-525 cal in one of those classes. I wear a HR monitor, am 5'9" tall and weigh 177 lbs. I sweat like a crazy person- so much so it's embarrassing...lol. Anyway, hope that helps.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    The best thing you can do for yourself is buy a good HRM with a chest strap.

I have seen people say they burn 250-1000 calories an hour doing the exact same thing.
    most of them are guessing and would be shocked at the real number if they had an HRM.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Finally someone else has heard of Body Combat! LOVE that class! I normally put it in as kickboxing. I'm getting a HRM soon, so will use that when it comes.
  • Thanks! I will check out the website and should probably invest in a HRM! I too love these classes and go "all out" during them!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Definitely invest in the HRM. When I do body pump, I only burn between 250-300.
  • mfpdcg
    mfpdcg Posts: 10 Member
    My HRM says usually burn around 900 kcals during the 55-min or so of activity in BODYPUMP. But I am a large fellow.

One piece of counteradvice, don't buy an HRM if its only purpose will be to answer this question. Estimates are good enough. (That said, I love my Polar FT-40 HRM.)
  • My husband has just reminded me that I bought a Polar HRM over a year ago and never used it! I have just found it and taken it out of its packet and plan on using it during tonights class! Thanks for all the feedback!
  • My HRM says usually burn around 900 kcals during the 55-min or so of activity in BODYPUMP. But I am a large fellow.

One piece of counteradvice, don't buy an HRM if its only purpose will be to answer this question. Estimates are good enough. (That said, I love my Polar FT-40 HRM.)

I have to disagree. Estimates are not good enough when you are determining your daily caloric requirements for the day by your output. If I was to take the estimate most people have of 400-500 for BodyPump and plug that in and I actually only burn between 250-300, I can be off by 200 kcals that day. Add to it an hour of cardio, which I might estimate at 800, when it's really only 400 and now my total for the day is off by around 600kcals. If I do this every day, I am counting 3000 cals burned a week that I didn't really burn, Considering 3500 is a pound, do I really want to do that?
    My advice is if you are going to estimate, use the lower values in order to buffer yourself. Problem is twofold, first people rarely do this and second you run the risk of not taking in enough kcals.
    Bottom line......get a decent HPM.
  • mfpdcg
    mfpdcg Posts: 10 Member
    Yeah, cPT_Helice, I forgot to consider the variation people make in BODYPUMP. It wouldn't simply be a one-to-one comparison with another person who is even the same size. If you get drenched and can barely make it through a track, you're surely on the high-end of burning when compared with someone who's doing the same thing with less work expended. You're right!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    I was wondering if anybody has an estimate of how many calories are burned in a 60 minute class of Body Pump, Body Step & Combat? I love taking these classes but I have no idea how much I am burning. Thanks!
    I would say Body pump about 350-450 calories in an hour. Step and combat 400-800.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition