Help guys! Low carb or low calorie?

Options
I feel very hungry on low calorie+ bloated (even on the 1200 cals im allowed per day). Feel better on low carb, lighter+clothes fit better like 2 days into low carb+ pretty full throughout the day but get headaches every now and then and take longer to fall asleep at night. I am Losing the weight very very slowly on the low ckal (1200). Which should i do- low ckal/carb? *confused*
:ohwell: :smile:

Replies

• honey2101
    Options
    I feel very hungry on low calorie+ bloated (even on the 1200 cals im allowed per day). Feel better on low carb, lighter+clothes fit better like 2 days into low carb+ pretty full throughout the day but get headaches every now and then and take longer to fall asleep at night. I am Losing the weight very very slowly on the low ckal (1200). Which should i do- low ckal/carb? *confused*
    :ohwell: :smile:
  • mandersen16
    Options
    This is completely my opinion....

Of course you will lose weight fast doing low carb. It's a shock to your body. But carbs are an essential part of building muscle, and for your brain to function. I know it takes longer, but always better to do it the right way. It will stay off longer if you do.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    the question is, do you have the correct goal set?

you have 12 lbs to lose, I assume that means your BMI is at or close to the normal range of 25. If that is the case, your calorie deficit should be around 250 per day or 1/2 lb per week. given that fact, unless you are an EXTREMELY small person (frame, and height wise) and your maintenance calories is between 1450 and 1500, then you are probably eating too few calories. Check your BMI, check your body fat, and also examine your goal weight, ask yourself why you set that goal? And ask if it is a realistic goal.

and read the link in my signature (and all the links in that one), it should give you some good insight into the metabolism, caloric deficit, and eating exercise calories.

-Banks
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think the reason why you might be losing weight slowly on the low cal is because you are eating too little calories. If you are only eating 1200 calories a day, your body may think it's in starvation mode. This may cause you from losing weight fast. Also, as an ex-low carb person, once you get off the carbs(because your body won't be able to sustain it for long periods of time), you'll gain it right back. I think a low cal, or more nutritious, plan is better.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    The problem is that you will gain it back quicker on low carb if you have a slip up and it is really hard to maintain low carb in the long run. Of course, it is still advisable to avoid high sugar foods even on a low calorie diet. But don't eliminate things like fruits from your diet. I try to follow a "lower" carb diet because I notice a difference in my hunger pangs and cravings if I stay away from processed, sugary foods. But remember that slow and steady wins the race, and if you eat low cal AND healthy for the most part, you will feel better AND lose weight.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I do 1200-1400 calories and combine that with I guess what most would call low carb I choose weekly if I will eat pasta,bread and rice..the reason I take it weekly is because I'm not banning those foods Im just deciding week by week if I will eat them. I get my carbs from other things I really didnt need to add in pasta and rice ,bread...Its hard at first but after the initial 2 weeks I didnt crave them anymore and whats even more odd is that white bread grosses me now lol.....I know it will be wheat and whole grain from now on.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    For those of you that don't know anything about low carb, please do not discount it or bash it.............

You are still eating carbs........................in the form of fresh veggies, nuts, seed, dairy and YES fruit.

It is a temporary elimination to remove fruit to cure the sugar cravings..............................

It is a conscious lifestyle change....................of course, any eating plan you start, you must follow it through from start to finish, change your lifestyle.

I am doing Atkins by the book.....................I bet I can compare a typical menu for myself up against the majority of people on this site and it is far healthier than most others.........................

The human body does not require rice, pasta, or bread. Even the most natural of those items are still processed to a certain degree.

I prefer to get as close to an all natural, organic eating plan as I possibly can (what I can afford) and Atkins is the way to go.........................

I make almost everything from scratch, that includes mayonnaise, salad dressings, etc................

There is too much sugar added to everything in the grocery stores.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I know that low carb works, but...I work out hard and my body needs a steady stream of carbs for fuel. I was on Atkins a few years ago, and by day 3, I completely bonked. No energy for workouts, felt like crap. I ate some oatmeal and felt much better in a very short period. I know people who do well on low carb, I'm not one of them.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I know that low carb works, but...I work out hard and my body needs a steady stream of carbs for fuel. I was on Atkins a few years ago, and by day 3, I completely bonked. No energy for workouts, felt like crap. I ate some oatmeal and felt much better in a very short period. I know people who do well on low carb, I'm not one of them.
    I'm like this too. My body needs whole grains for fuel or else I bonk out without them. I also stopped losing weight and plateaued big time on a high protein carbs only from fruits and veggies thing.
    Different things work for different people, most important finding what works for yourself and not push your own agenda on others.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Stick with the low calorie but increase your protien intake. Eating low calorie does not mean that you can only eat vegetables and fruit. You should have a balance combo of protien, plenty of veggies, some fruit, and essential fats. Low carb is not a good long term solution, it's hard on your body and hard to maintain. Also, I know many people who gain on strickly low carb because they aren't watching their calorie intake.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    This is completely my opinion....

Of course you will lose weight fast doing low carb. It's a shock to your body. But carbs are an essential part of building muscle, and for your brain to function. I know it takes longer, but always better to do it the right way. It will stay off longer if you do.
    What an excellent response...took the words right outta my mouth:drinker: :bigsmile:

you're so right...to keep up our workouts we SO need those valuable healthy carbs, but by eating the good ones more than the simple or processed ones we can keep our cals down but still continue to have TONS of energy and drop those lbs. we so want to continue dropping as we become healthier on our journey:flowerforyou: :wink:

FC:heart:
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    are you eating a lot of veggies? You have to eat carbs...you are depriving yourself for no reason (I promise)...

I've resorted to Beano - truly helps me!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

There is too much sugar added to everything in the grocery stores.
    Oh how VERY true! ugh and the sodium added to our store bought foods...:noway: not to mention the fat that is added when we purchase no sugar products...hey they gotta add back that flavor somehow...so many times it's by means of fat & sodium!:noway: :flowerforyou:

• Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Stick with the low calorie but increase your protien intake. Eating low calorie does not mean that you can only eat vegetables and fruit. You should have a balance combo of protien, plenty of veggies, some fruit, and essential fats. Low carb is not a good long term solution, it's hard on your body and hard to maintain. Also, I know many people who gain on strickly low carb because they aren't watching their calorie intake.
    Tess has a very good point on the protein, it keep our bodies from getting that 'Gee I'm Hungry' feeling. It's the healthy fats in the proteins that really help us out & keeps us satisfied!

Best of luck to you finding the right balance for YOU!:flowerforyou: Each of our bodies is so different, what works for one may not work as well for another, so in time we find our own healthy way:drinker:

Ah and how can I forget to mention water...lol :wink: Drink plenty of water throughout the day and especially keep it close at hand while doing workouts...water can serve such a healthy purpose in life, it can keep us satisfied between meals as well.

If you've not tried going with the 5-6 mini meals a day, that might help by keeping you from getting hungry as basically you're feeding your body good nutrition every couple hours.:bigsmile: