circuit training and gaining weight?

Hi,

I am new on here and have been doing a circuit training workout now for about 1 month with progressively heavier weight sets. I have been good with my calories but I am not losing weight...just staying stable and the morning after a workout I end up being like 3 pounds heavier then the day before but then that goes away the next day...I am getting stronger for sure but what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Replies

• More reps less weight. Make sure you are doing cardio. Cardio is king as far as weight loss goes
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Hi,

I am new on here and have been doing a circuit training workout now for about 1 month with progressively heavier weight sets. I have been good with my calories but I am not losing weight...just staying stable and the morning after a workout I end up being like 3 pounds heavier then the day before but then that goes away the next day...I am getting stronger for sure but what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

please read this. my newest source of motivation. http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    More reps less weight. Make sure you are doing cardio. Cardio is king as far as weight loss goes

I actually completely disagree. Keep doing what you're doing! You are probably building muscle, which is awesome. You'll probably drop inches before pounds, and having more muscle on you helps you burn more calories while at rest. Drink LOTS of water - and I mean lots, and up your veggie intake. See what happens. :) Good luck!
  • DeviantDarkwolf2
    DeviantDarkwolf2 Posts: 363 Member
    You do need to mix up your workouts otherwise your body becomes accustomed to them and plateaus. Always keep your body guessing.
  • Incorporate cardio in with your weight workout. I used to start with the treadmill at the gym and then progress to weights/machines. However, as soon as I switched that (start with weights then cardio), my weight loss has sped up and Im losing more inches. Something to do with burning off the sugars first...I dont know the technical part of it but it works. Both cardio and weights are important, and lifting weights will help build muscle which burns more calories even while you are resting.
    Good luck on your journey!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    remember Fat Loss is achived with eating healthy nutritous foods. Working out plays a role. Circuit training is resitance training and cardio combined not just DB work. Plus when you start lifting heavier your muscles hold more water for recovery. Your better off doing more weight bearing exercises with DBs and other tools like bands ect. reps 15 or higher are your best bet
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    If you're in deficit and doing strength training, I'm guessing it's just some water weight. If you're new to weight training, a tiny portion of it *might* be muscle, but I'm still betting on mostly water.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    More reps less weight. Make sure you are doing cardio. Cardio is king as far as weight loss goes

It's not possible to lift any amount of weight fast enough for it to be considered cardio.

Keep doing what you're doing. I lost most of my weight doing circuit training, I love it! Make sure you're drinking enough water, and think about having a protein shake or glass of chocolate milk after your workouts. Your muscles suck up tons of glucose to help repair themselves after intense workouts. If you don't have much glucose in your blood stream your muscles will just hold onto tons of water, which is what's making you see that gain the day after.

Make sure you're eating a healthy, balanced diet and give everything a little more time. If you are eating at a calorie deficit you are not building a significant amount of new muscle. It's difficult for the body to gain muscle mass. Chances are you will start seeing a loss soon. Sometimes it just takes people's bodies some time before they see results. Also make sure that you're eating enough. If your calorie deficit is too low your body won't burn any fat.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member

no no and no.

Weight training takes the cake.
    Reps/weight don't have anything to do with it. If anything you should be lifting heavy weight.

And I'm pretty sure weight training can still qualify as cardio. My heart rate is higher during a squat session than it is when at a slow jog.
  • asb923
    asb923 Posts: 6 Member
    The plan I am on (was put on by a trainer) has me incresaing weights each week and doing fewer reps as the weight increase, the goal is to work to exhaustion. The workout starts with a 5 min warm-up on cardio then two minutes of cardio between each of the 11 machines then 5 more minutes at the end. I like to workout I just wish the scale did too!