Seriously Embarassing Problem

Options
Okay, sorry if this is too much info for some people, but I need some ideas on what could be causing this.

For like two years, my routine meals are - oatmeal at 8am with hemp seeds and goji berries.
almonds and 2 prunes at 11
salad, cottage cheese and activia for lunch at 1

This 'problem' has just started maybe within the past 2 months or so.

As soon as I finish my lunch, and sometimes during I am eating it, I start getting really bad gas rumbling through my stomach. I can feel my stomach rumblng, making noises etc. I also start passing a lot of gas. By the time I am on my way home from work at 4, I am passing gas that would make any jailhouse men's bathroom smell like a rose garden. It is just awful!

So, I have tried cutting out the prunes at times, and that hasn't made a difference. Could it be a lactose intolerance that is causing it? The cottage cheese at lunch? Would it cause it that quickly?

Any and all ideas/solutions are most welcome! I work in an office and it is quite embarassing!!!

Replies

• NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I would say it's the dairy. Try cutting it out for a week or two and see if that eliminates the problem. I find now that I hardly eat dairy I do not have this problem!

Good luck!
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It may be the dairy, but it could also be that your body is adjusting so may not need all that fiber. Start by cutting out ALL dairy for at least a few days (a week would be best). If that doesn't do it, then try cutting back on the fiber you're eating. Good luck!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    try gas-x
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Yep, dairy is my guess too. Although, you are eating a LOT of fiber too. I think those two thing together have created a kind of perfect storm. I say get rid of the dairy for a week and see what happens.
  • WhitneyJerome
    WhitneyJerome Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    thats pretty much exactly what dairy does to me. I just discovered my lactose intolerance about 2 years ago.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    I would try changing up quite a bit of things. Maybe find a different routine meal?
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I am with the others that said dairy is culprit..sounds like you are becoming lactose intolerant.. cut out the dairy for a month or and see if the problem continues.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I got a bad batch of hemp seeds not too longe ago that left me feeling pretty awful gastrointestinally. Took me a while to figure out that was the issue since I'd been eating them for a long time.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I would try changing up quite a bit of things. Maybe find a different routine meal?
    Yep. Use a scientific method. Try eliminating some components for a few days at a time, and narrow it down to the real culprit. I would start with the dairy -- a common cause of excess flatulence.

Heh... flatulence.
  • dirtyblue
    Options
    I got a bad batch of hemp seeds not too longe ago that left me feeling pretty awful gastrointestinally. Took me a while to figure out that was the issue since I'd been eating them for a long time.

I recently opened a new bag so I can't link it to those.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Less fiber, more water.
  • dirtyblue
    Options
    I was leaning towards the dairy as well, just couldn't imagine it working that fast with the cottage cheese though. But I will cut it out for awhile and see what happens. That just stinks cause I love cheese! Hopefully that won't be the culprit!
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    When I'm having a salad and other things for lunch, I always eat the salad or veggies or fruits first. They seem to process more quickly in my digestive tract. This considered, if they are 'stuck' behind other things, in this case - cottage cheese and breakfast.... then the veggies will be sitting there... fermenting... already processed... waiting in line. I've noticed a lot less gas if I eat my veggies first in a meal.

Not that I disagree with the possibility of a lactose intolerance... but this might be another idea as well.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    That just stinks cause I love cheese! Hopefully that won't be the culprit!

Yes, it most certainly does stink because of your love of cheese. :smile:
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Something that happens to us all! Try taking a probiotic, and garlic capsules, also peppermint tea.
  • RobinMAshby
    RobinMAshby Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A doctor told me that whenever you change the type of food you are eating (like, no veggies for awhile then you start eating them again) that the flora/fauna (bacteria) in your intestine has to change to match it. Bacteria that was good at handling one diet style won't work as well when you change things up, until it has time to adjust. It could even apply to small changes I assume. Like suddenly you start putting onions on sandwiches or something. Maybe there is something like that going on? And I assume that any changes that involved things like vegitable, dairy, meat, fiber, etc would all cause that. If you go to the website for Beano (anti gas tablets) they have a list of things that they say can cause gas.
    If you start chnging your diet around to find the culprit then that will likely cause issues as well. I wonder if some people who are lactose intolerant are that way because they don't have dairy very often and then when they do, there is no bacteria to handle it. I've had it mess me up.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the salad at lunch. Depending on what veggies are in it, a combo could cause gas.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I was leaning towards the dairy as well, just couldn't imagine it working that fast with the cottage cheese though. But I will cut it out for awhile and see what happens. That just stinks cause I love cheese! Hopefully that won't be the culprit!
    It's crazy. I've had family members become less tolerant of dairy seemingly overnight. Who knows. Worth trying going dairy free for a couple of days, and then back to see what happens.

Gotta love being your own lab rat, huh?
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I developed a sensitivity to raw almonds and it came out of no where and my symptoms were the same as what you are stating. I roasted the almonds I already had and have been buying pre roasted almonds and I don’t have that problem any more.
    If cutting the dairy out doesn’t work, maybe try that.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    That just stinks cause I love cheese! Hopefully that won't be the culprit!
    Yes, it most certainly does stink because of your love of cheese. :smile:
    My dog's breath stinks when he eats cheese.