Child born with extra digits...

Options
2»

Replies

• maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    if they're functional, then why get rid of them? we, as a society, perform a lot of unneeded surgeries on babies in the name of "normalcy". there's no reason for it.

if there is a health risk - like with the mermaid baby - then yeah, you make the decision to have the surgery, but if there's no risk, don't cut your kid. and i include intersexed children in this. doctors need to stop cutting babies.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    In my personal opinion, I think it should be the kid's choice. Wait until he's old enough to decide and then go from there. Same with intersex kids. I don't want to make the wrong choice when the kid is young, so I'd wait until they knew whether their gender was male or female and then we could surgically make the "sex" match the "gender".
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm all about letting the child choose for themselves...

I won't pierce my daughter's ears because in my mind they are not mine to pierce.. and if she decided she didn't want holes in her ear it would be too late. And no, the holes don't just "close up" I've had pierced ears since I was 12, no longer wear earrings but I still have holes.

Dude, I saw a child that tattooed their six year old child. Don't even get me started on that... :mad:

I've heard about stuff like that. It's child abuse and they can be prosecuted.
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have a memory of a friend in primary school, who may have been affected by Thalidomide - her fingers hadn't formed correctly, and she only had 2 or 3 fingers, a couple of stumps, and a thumb.

I remember holding her hand running through the playground and the memory is very special.

We ARE all different, and YES we do want our kids to have an easy (no major challenges) in life. But it's our differences that make this life so interesting.