Intervals (yesterday's topic)

Options
Okay, so yesterday someone posted this link:

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/healthieryou/8471/sizzle-calories-in-18-minutes/

It's interval training to burn more calories. My treadmill only showed about an extra 20 calories burned. Now, I know that exercise equipment can be off but I would have imagined that it would be more than an extra 20. I have a HRM but it's a piece of crap. Did anyone else try this with a HRM and notice a significant difference?

Replies

• kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Okay, so yesterday someone posted this link:

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/healthieryou/8471/sizzle-calories-in-18-minutes/

It's interval training to burn more calories. My treadmill only showed about an extra 20 calories burned. Now, I know that exercise equipment can be off but I would have imagined that it would be more than an extra 20. I have a HRM but it's a piece of crap. Did anyone else try this with a HRM and notice a significant difference?
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    I did something similar last night. 3 minutes high intensity with roughly 30 seconds breaks moving from eliptical to treadmill to bike. I burned 696 in 40 minutes, which is not groundbreaking, but about what I have been doing in an hour of straight intensity.

Get a better HRM. They aren't 100% accurate but are about as close as you are going to get.
  • happenstance82
    Options
    This week I did the eliptical on the "interval" setting instead of "manual". Both the machine and my HRM showed that I burned 100 calories more during a 35 minute workout. I am now a firm believer in the power of interval training. I also play little games with the seconds passing or the calories burned...(i.e. I will sprint for 5 calories and then go slower for 5...and then sprint for 10 calories and then go slower for 5) It's fun!
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I will keep it up. At least it's a nice change. Thanks, guys!