Why do fruit and vegetables make me hungry?

Options
skylark94
skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
I know I don't get enough fruits and vegetables in my diet, but whenever I make an effort to include them I feel like I am starving! About 10 minutes after eating any sort of fruit or vegetables, my stomach starts rumbling and I get intense hunger pangs. The only thing that will make it stop is some sort of carb or a big protein serving. This is actually causing me to consume more calories than intended.

Any ideas?

Replies

• KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    bump -me too!
  • rockchick90
    Options
    im the same! it fills me up at the time but then about an hr later im hungry again :/ it sucks doesnt it!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Are you eating them alone or part of a larger meal?
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Hard to say exactly but different foods will digest at different rates in the stomach. One easy way to make the same meal go further is to liquidise it into a soup which will take longer to leave your stomach than the food on its own.

Rich
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,889 Member
    Options
    Lack of calories.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Hard to say exactly but different foods will digest at different rates in the stomach. One easy way to make the same meal go further is to liquidise it into a soup which will take longer to leave your stomach than the food on its own.

Rich

Nice...didn't realise this but often feel fuller on soup anyways and love the mingling of the tastes!
  • diletta24
    diletta24 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When I try to quell my middle morning/ middle afternoon hunger with fruits such as apples, banana or any kind "sweet tasting", it turn out as increased hunger or appetite.

I'm not sure but based on my own experience I could give these explanation. not enough fibers: why don't you try with oranges or grapefruits? more fibers and not too sweet grapefruits make me run until next meal. Don't trust apples=healthy and diet assumption :) grapefruits are my current addiction !
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Most fruit and (even vegetables) have been bred to be sweetier and tastier (apples are a great example) so could be the sugar content if your body is not used to the influx. Might try having fruit with some fat/protein to give your body some options other than the sugar/fiber.
  • mcb816
    mcb816 Posts: 24
    Options
    make sure you eat carbs with protein that helps me!
  • awol88
    Options
    DRINK A LOT OF WATER!! .... If you just ate something and are hungry shortly after, you're probably confusing thirst with hunger. That's worked for me ... I'm 148lbs 5'4'' and I drink about 3 liters of water or more.

Try that? Good Luck
  • awol88
    Options
    DRINK A LOT OF WATER!! .... If you just ate something and are hungry shortly after, you're probably confusing thirst with hunger. That's worked for me ... I'm 148lbs 5'4'' and I drink about 3 liters of water or more.

Try that? Good Luck

Also try eating slow carb foods .... like LENTILS and BEANS in the AM and Lunch. I try and do that and it keeps me fuller longer!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I drink a TON of water every day, so I know thirst is not an issue. I may only log 8 cups in my diary, but my intake is probably closer to 20-30 cups. I love water and don't drink much of anything else.

I know that an unusual sugar spike isn't the issue either, as I eat things containing sugar on a regular basis because I don't like artificial sweeteners. An average day for me will include 50-100 grams of sugar in the form of yogurts, sweetened oatmeal, and (ugh) halloween candy.

I may try the suggestion of combining the fruits with a carb or protein, but I think in most cases I'd rather just skip the fruit and eat a carb or protein as the snack instead.

Thanks for the input.
  • Sookie_182
    Sookie_182 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    try switching the fruit you eat... i know that when I eat apples I'll feel hungry shortly after but if I eat a bananna I'll be ok!
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    An apple usually satisfies me. However, I can eat banana after banana and still be hungry. My solution is to eat my banana followed by a few almonds or in almond milk and some granola. The almond milk and granola will add more calories, though.
  • megsylove
    megsylove Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! And I think THIS IS WHY!!!
    I haven't tried the antacid yet, but I think I will! And maybe a colon cleanse before you begin eating more healthfully would be useful. I will check back with my success or any solutions to this, as it is a real problem for my healthy eating plan!:):smooched:
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    This happens to me with apples if I don't have some fat with them. So I eat apples with sunbutter or almond butter.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Err this thread is 3 years old and being spammed.
  • lore11a
    lore11a Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have always had to eat a few almonds, or a small piece of cheese when I eat fruit as a snack. If I don't I will get the shakes like low blood sugar. I have been tested and there aren't any problems. I have just always done this. Yuck!!!
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    because they are very low in calorie.I don't find them filling either