Carbs at Night?

Options
For the past week I've been experimenting with not eating carbs after lunch. It is SO hard!!! I did loose weight this week but I wanted to get some feedback from others. Oh, and I workout in the morning.

What do you eat before bed? Do you see any difference in weight loss when you stick to protien late in the day.

Thank you for any input

Replies

• epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I had great success several years ago not eating carbs after noon. I found I was less hungry and I could still have my carbs in the AM. I still try to "frontload" my day with carbs and not eat bread, potatoes, rice etc. after mid day. I also have a protein snack (1T of peanut butter, a dozen almonds, etc.) right before I go to bed because it helps keep me satiated so I'm not starving first thing in the morning (my weakest moments are before coffee...)
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Yes I am doing a protien snack before bed. I just CRAVE my carbs. Will I get over it?
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Protein and yes it does get better!!!
  • alz6690
    Options
    No carbs after 3pm has definitely been working for me! if i need a snack before bed i have a few nuts or seeds but i try not to eat after 8pm so drink water or fruit tea
  • doccwood
    Options
    Protein and YES!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It's a dietary myth that doesn't stand up to the scientific research
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

^^ This.
  • saraann752003
    Options

Pretty much agree with this one, chances are, because you are restricting your time frame for eating carbs you are eating less of them.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Timing of nutrient types doesn't matter. What matters is that you maintain a caloric deficit when compared to your total daily energy expediture(TDEE). Eating protein heavy most of the day will keep you satisfied, and if you stick to getting lots of protein, eating the carbs you can fit in along the way won't hurt you one bit. Just keep the calories on target!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

This.
    <---- Eats carbs right before bed, often times 100g+, not that anecdotes are meaningful.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your time. I eat whatever I want, whenever I want and it doesn't affect a thing - as long as I stick to my net caloric intake goal of course. Most nights I eat (drink) pure carbs (beer) right before bed and it doesn't change anything from when I drank no beer at all for weeks at a time.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I eat a majority of my carbs at night usually within an hour or two before I go to bed.
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Anecdote ARE meaningful and the reason many of these questions are asked (and re-asked) on forums. People WANT to hear real-life experiences, not read journal articles.

My anecdote: I find eating carbs late in the day results in feeling hungrier in the evening and that protein before bed helps keep me satiated.

So there ya go...
  • killagb
    Options
    I eat a majority of my carbs at night usually within an hour or two before I go to bed.
    I dunno, your hands look sort of bulky, probably the carbs I'm thinking? :bigsmile:
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    My anecdote: I find eating carbs late in the day results in feeling hungrier in the evening and that protein before bed helps keep me satiated.

So there ya go...

It's not an either/or scenario
  • killagb
    Options
    Anecdote ARE meaningful and the reason many of these questions are asked (and re-asked) on forums. People WANT to hear real-life experiences, not read journal articles.

So there ya go...
    Eating carbs to satisfy hunger is a bad approach. Eating them to satisfy a craving is the way to go. If you try to eat a good amount of protein in most meals, the carbs won't effect being sated at all.
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have read that WHAT you eat before bed does matter. From the Mayo clinic and others....I was just hoping there were people who have tried it. I just didnt want to reinvent the wheel. I was eating a little ice cream or cake. ALL within my calories. But I wasn't loosing weight some weeks. Now I'm just trying to shake things up. I was told that those sweets at the end of my day were causing me to stall.
  • killagb
    Options
    I have read that WHAT you eat before bed does matter. From the Mayo clinic and others....I was just hoping there were people who have tried it. I just didnt want to reinvent the wheel. I was eating a little ice cream or cake. ALL within my calories. But I wasn't loosing weight some weeks. Now I'm just trying to shake things up. I was told that those sweets at the end of my day were causing me to stall.
    That is incorrect. Do you have a link to this information from Mayo clinic? It does not matter AT ALL for weight loss. As long as you are at or under your calorie goal.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

If you already have your mind made up, why create the thread?