Protein filled breakfast

Options
Hey guys, I've been on my weight loss journey since january and I've lost about 43lbs. i started on MFP at the start of october and I'm loving it so far. My problem is that I never seem to get enough protein in the mornings no matter what i do. I dont like protein shakes all that much, and i dont have enough time to make eggs every morning. Does anyone have any really good breakfasts that they like that are high in protein but under 400 calories?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Bacon and eggs breakfast.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • FABRICWOMAN
    FABRICWOMAN Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    On the web site "Eat Better America" there are breakfast casseroles that can be made the night before, and after they are baked can be cut or scooped out. Reheat if cold in the microwave. Totally awesome breakfast!! Add fruit and milk.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    This may sound disgusting...but try drinking the eggs raw with a splash of milk. You can rule out your potential for contracting salmonella by buying brown, free-range, chicken eggs. I usually drink 2-3 within minutes of waking up each morning and have been doing so for a few years consistently. Also, try a few scoops of fat-free cottage cheese and greek yogurt.
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I dig Subway's breakfast sandwiches, if you stay away from the bacon & sausage and get veggies on your sandwich. I'm not totally sure on the sodium, but it's more veggies than I usually eat for breakfast.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You could just skip breakfast (gasp!) and double up on protein at lunch
  • bbkohn
    bbkohn Posts: 29
    Options
    and i forgot to mention that i dont eat red meat or sea food of any kind
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    This may sound disgusting...but try drinking the eggs raw with a splash of milk. You can rule out your potential for contracting salmonella by buying brown, free-range, chicken eggs. I usually drink 2-3 within minutes of waking up each morning and have been doing so for a few years consistently. Also, try a few scoops of fat-free cottage cheese and greek yogurt.

The protein in raw eggs is less bioavailable compared to cooked
  • rubystar07
    rubystar07 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do a protein shake a lot of mornings (Spirutein). It is delicious and high in sugar, but keeps me full for at least 2 hours (AM snack time).

If you really like eggs, you could make them in advance. They refrigerate well. Lots of times I make omelets/frittatas on Sunday mornings and due to the big pan, there is always some left over and it microwaves very nicely!

I love making waffles, they freeze pretty well, can be popped in the toaster. My recipe: 2 T ground oats (I grind in food processor), 2 T milled flax, 1 t canola oil, 1 t baking powder, dash of salt, 2-3 T milk and then gently fold in 1 whipped egg white. Cook in waffle iron. Let cool before freezing. This recipe =210 calories. I would serve with greek or regular yogurt and fruit. My trick with syrup is to mix 1 T maple syrup (50 cals) in with the yogurt and spread that.

Also, greek yogurt or plain yogurt with berries a little cereal or granola is yummy and easy.

In cold months I also make oatmeal and add in a bit of greek yogurt and maybe some fruit (or dried cherries, incredible). So 1/2 c of dried oatmeal = 160 cals + however much greek yogurt (I would do like 1/4 c) + berries + milled flax = usually under 250

I have personally found that a high fiber breakfast keeps me fuller than a high protein breakfast (or combination, of course). I used to eat a lot of Good Friends cereal but I am trying to cut down on wheat now. I also liked Kashi go lean crunch because it has both fiber and protein (but you have to accept the amount of sugar). All our bodies are different and need different things.

You mention you don't eat meat (me either!). I love Smart Bacon (aka FACON). Have you tried it? It is incredibly processed and full of sodium, but I overlook that to get my fix. And before others start freaking out, I rarely eat it, but did this morning and gosh it is good (does not taste or feel like real bacon but has an awesome smoky taste).

Can you tell that breakfast is my favorite meal?!
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes have a couple slices of turkey bacon and a 2 or 3 eggs. Pretty good amount of protein for a low calorie amount!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean high protein and high fiber cereal is a good choice, add low fat milk, and some sliced almonds. Fruit or cottage cheese with yogurt. If you don't mind the sodium Beef or Turkey Jerky.
  • alibreasy
    alibreasy Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You can bake a breakfast casserole the day before. I do that sometimes and it last for a couple of days. You can put whatever you want in it. Like the other day I cooked bacon and broke it up, cooked turkey meat thin slice, red peppers and some cheese and mixed it all in with egg and a little seasoning bake at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes and you have a breakfast casserole high in protein, that is filling and you can have a couple days without having to cook anything in the morning and its about 300 calories total per serving.
  • diletta24
    diletta24 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I do not like eggs at bf and I want protein filled bf as well. Here's my options
    - cottage cheese ( a blessing...)
    - tofu ( in cubes, with jam or honey)
    - I add 2/3 eggs whites into my oat cookies recipe to increase the proteins intake
  • Becxox
    Becxox Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have oats for breakfast every morning and someone suggested sprinkling protien powder to increase my protien in the morning.
    I am going to start using it tomorrow.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I flip flop between 3 scrambled eggs with 57 grams of crumbled turkey sausage (290 calories and 32 grams of protein) or Chobani 0% Greek yogurt 8 oz with fruit-usually strawberries or raspberries (230 calories and 24 grams of protein w/raspberries).

Once in awhile I do 1% cottage cheese with some fruit. I buy Target brand and it's 22 grams of protein and 160 calories for 1 Cup.

You could also do tuna is also high in protein (2.6 oz of Starkist Chunk Light =18 grams of protein for only 80 calories)!
  • Divatime
    Options
    Try cooking boiled eggs the night before. Once they have cooled...put them in a snack bag for easy grab and go access! This has worked well for me when I need to grab quick things to back my lunch! I also like the luna zest protein bars for women. Good luck! :)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Quaker Oatmeal pancakes (made traditional way for 7-9 pancakes) w/1 scoop chocolate protein powder and 2 tbps chocolate chips. Each pancake has 111 cals, 15.5g carbs, and 7.5g protein. Made the heart healthy way will lower calories even more. I tend to have 2 in the morning with 2 tbsp real maple syrup and it's very filling between the carbs and protein and lasts me to lunch!
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options

The protein in raw eggs is less bioavailable compared to cooked

Link to study? I've read the exact opposite in a few journals...I'll try to dig up some of the JSTOR files from my external HD.