Cycling Computers

What is a good brand of cycling computers? I really want to track pace and distance on my bike, pretty basic. I will have a separate HRM and everything already so I don't need that feature. What would you recommend? (I'm trying to make my Christmas wish list!)

Replies

• WiiTastic
    WiiTastic Posts: 76 Member
    I've had a Catseye on my bike for the past 10 years. Survived plenty of rain and a major crash (bike ended up under the car and was written off, the catseye just got scratched), and I've never had to change the battery. Basic bike computers are very, very cheap. Go into a bike store and check them out.
  • jhalsey205
    jhalsey205 Posts: 91 Member
    I moved to a Garmin Forerunner 305 gps watch, which includes a heart rate monitor. I had a specialized bike computer that broke - approx $40.00. Rather than replace it, I grabbed the Forerunner 305 off ebay (new) for approx $100.00. Added a bike mount - basically a rubber ring (approx $10) that can be attached to the handlebar and then strap on the watch to handlebar (its very simple and works like a charm). You can set it up to display lots of info. I have 4 different data fields visible all the time: elapsed time; distance; speed; heart rate.
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    I have a wireless Specialized one that does all that. I don't think I paid much for it at all. Check out nashbar or performance bike as they always have one on sale or clearance.I went wireless so I didn't have a cable running down one of my forks. It makes for a cleaner installation. Mine does current speed, average speed, max speed, trip distance and total distance. I has the option for a cadence sensor too, but I don't have that.
  • jhalsey205
    jhalsey205 Posts: 91 Member
    bstamps12 - just read that you are into Tri's. You should check out the Garmin Forerunner 910xt. Its not cheap but is water proof and can calculate your swimming strokes (and double as a bike compute as I noted in previous post). I have a buddy that loves it.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Thanks for all of the input! I would LOVE the Garmin 910XT but it's WAY out of my price range right now. I had wanted the 310XT for both running & biking but even it is out of the budget right now so I'm exploring buying separately to pull it into my price range. I am looking at the Forerunner 305 (used) if I can find one that isn't too expensive.
  • sucrose75
    sucrose75 Posts: 4 Member
    FYI, last time I was at Best Buy I saw the Garmin Forerunner 305 for $75 + tax.
    I have it, love it!
    Good luck!