why do YOU over eat/binge?

Options

Replies

• summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    EMOTIONS. When I'm sad or feeling discouraged I feel like I just want to "give up, because what does it matter". Stress is another big one for me, the second I feel like there's something I can't do (i.e. school) foood seems to "calm" me. Though tonight, I beat a stress binge... the first time I can say that in oh, 3 or so months :)!
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    SweetNaughtyLips Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I overeat/binge when I am stressed or depressed. I hate myself afterwards :-(
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I overeat when I drink. I usually drink when I've had a stressful day! If I can prevent the glass of wine, I usually can curb the eating too.

Sometimes I also eat as a reward. My mindset is... I've done a good job I can have >insert binge here<

It's ok to splurge now and then, our bodies even need it. I wouldn't sweet it too much, It's when overeating becomes a habit that you need to start worrying about =)
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I get bored of eating the same ol sheit!! Its pretty black n white for me.
  • diletta24
    diletta24 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    hi cdl! It has always been a combination of body and mind issues. When I say body I mean hunger, but even cravings. Sometimes when I'm on a diet and the deprivation makes me fool, sometimes just a few hours after a meal when I'm not on a diet and already sugar filled as well..miserable picture :)
    Basically, no physical state on background can keep me safe from a binge. Even when on a balanced and nourishing state. :-/ it's the state of mind that plays the role as for as I'm concerned with. And some specifics emotions such as

- feeling out of control in particular life situations
    - feeling disoriented and confused
    - not having ready answers
    - boredom on sunday afternoon or similar
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Hormones usually.. i get choc and carb cravings strongly the week before my TOTM starts. I allow myself a treat meal and some chocolate but have to burn 800-1,000 cals to accommodate it, then I use diet patches to try and control the cravings for rest of time until they wear off... usually after I've satisifed the initial cravings they aren't as bad and making myself exercise to burn it all off stops me doing it two days in a row cos I'm too knackered next day to do another big exercise session like that again.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    It's not so complicated for me, it's simply because it tastes so good :( I fricking love food, especially the stuff that's bad for me-crisps especially!
  • sunnyzephyr
    Options
    I do it out of boredom. I tend to stay up late and when I get bored I just want to stuff my face. So I usually just find something else to occupy my time so that I am not thinking about food.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Depression (oh food, you're my only friend!), feeling alone, and when my asthma flares. I know - that last one is odd. But I developed the habit in college of eating when I was staying up super late studying, so I associate food with extra energy. Asthma flares make me feel weak and sluggish, so I tend to eat as if that's going to make me feel more energetic. It's a hard habit to break, but the better controlled my asthma is, the easier I find it to eat properly.

For the MFP-ers who don't know why they binge. Try this one - it helped me. Next time you find yourself stuffing food in your mouth (as opposed to just eating healthily) try just sitting still with the food for a bit. Hold it, close your eyes and ask yourself what you feel at that moment. Let your emotions tell you what they are. Let images and ideas drift across your mind. Don't reject them for not being the right ones - just let them come and go. Then just sit with whatever you are feeling for a minute. Look at it. Don't judge it - just look at it.

Did that help? Did you recognize a connection between how you felt and how the food tasted? That's why you binge. Could be something as simple as boredom. Could be something really complicated like "I'm punishing myself for being fat by stuffing food down my throat." Whatever it is, I wish you health and healing!
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My grandmother died last night. I am ready to binge.

I'm really sorry to hear that. *hugs* I'll pray for you.
    :heart:
  • hwgroff1
    hwgroff1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's like an impulse to have something quick and delicious..... It's so easy to grab a cupcake or cookie or chips and they tase so good...that I don't realize I have just put tons of empty calories into my body. Then I feel guilty and figure...what the hell....I already messed up my calories...why not have a few more.
  • fightingforfiftyfive
    Options
    Serious sugar cravings usually trigger a ridiculous chocolate binge but also sometimes I just crave the feeling of being really full..
  • pixardad
    pixardad Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My grandmother died last night. I am ready to binge.

I can't imagine how you feel as I never go to know my grandmother. You have my (and probably many others') sympathy. Try not to binge too bad if you do. I know over-eating can give us feelings of security and safety helping us relax (usually why I binge) and that could help...but do try and control it. I have no doubt your grandmother would not want you to hurt yourself.

Maybe that's a good reason not to binge. She'd want only the best for you.

Take care, my heart's with you.

--PixarDad
  • kittuk86
    kittuk86 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I always ate the same quantity which my parents ate ; they needed it because of their traveling & hectuc hours, while me..I did nothing but go 2 school, college, come home & crash on the couch.. Now I over eat once in a while when the food is super yumm!
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to run to the fridge or fast food place when there is conflict and I feel like I don't have control over the situation. I have found that sometimes logging the food before I eat it does help keep me on track. The logging has really helped, maybe because it is a form of control over my sooo out of control eating habits. I ran to the fridge earlier this week but I still was aware of what i was eating and managed to log it and just didn't eat what i had planned for dinner that night. that is a huge step forward for me. I would also overeat/binge out of loneliness. this site has helped a lot in that respect, i focus on logging my foods and reading the forums and blogs about others who are struggling and transforming themselves when at one point they, too, thought they never could.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    I feel like I need something to look forward to ALL the time, like having a day off from uni to relax or watching a new film thats out just anything fun at all coming up in the next day or so that I can enjoy. If I don't have anything to look forward to i just feel really empty, so I tend to choose food or drinks as my thing a lot of the time. I think I actually enjoy the looking forward to eating the food more than I actually enjoy the food. It helps me get through the day in a much better mood if I just know that at the end of it I can have a big mug of hot chocolate or a bar of galaxy or a mojito.
    Does anyone else do this? I don't know if its normal to constantly need something to look forward to or if I should try to stop, or is it something everyone does?
  • candlelady
    candlelady Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Depressed or stressed . Pastas and bakery are my weakness
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    depressed, stressed, basically emotional reasons, and throw in some boredom from time to time... and if ice cream is in the house any of these times it is a bad situation....With time they do get better though after losing 65 lbs they are becoming less and less of an occassion not totally gone just alot less, because I know no matter how bored or in the dumps Im feeling it willl be 10x worse if I let it keep getting the better of me and gain every lb I lost and more I know I would feel even worse, It just isnt worth it near as much anymore...
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Because I'm greedy, sometimes my eyes are bigger than my belly... or as I like to graze, I forget just how much I've eaten... (Crudites and Hors d'ouevres are a nightmare as will keep eating and eating....)
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much.