Vegetarian help needed

Options
In December I'm actually trying out being a vegetarian because my boyfriend doesn't think I can do it (he's a vegetarian himself) so I'm going to prove that I can! I'm only doing it for maximum three weeks though because I'm pretty sure I'm going to want to eat a LOT of meat at Christmas. So what are some good foods that I can eat so I can still get the iron and nutrients that I need?

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but some of my friends are. You really want to find as many sources of protein as you can. One of my veggie friends snapped when he was in Mexico and ate a hamburger because he said there was so little protein to be found where he was staying other than beans. I guess the beans get old after a couple days. I was shocked to hear that he ate beef, let alone meat.

I think greek yogurt has a lot of protein in it. Eggs are a good source too. I'm not sure if you're going to have eggs and dairy or not, but if you do, those are helpful.

You might want to google some of the nutrients that you think you might need and see what comes up as far as food sources go.
  • msrobinson77
    Options
    Try adding quinoa to your diet. It's pretty fast and easy to cook. It's considered a grain but, it's also a source of protein. You can add it to just about any hot dish without changing the flavor. Sometimes I even chill it and toss it into a salad. I also recommend eating plenty of nuts and soy.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.vegparadise.com/recipeindex.html
    My favorite site!
    Feel free to look at my diary for other ideas :D
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary too.

A lot of the veggie meat substitutes (Morningstar, Boca) have a good amount of protein. As long as you're not going full vegan, you'll get protein from milk, eggs, etc..

Good luck!
  • rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    any nut or nut butter will have protein, but beware of high fat content. if you don't mind fake meat products, there are plenty out there that taste pretty darn close to the real thing. special k protein plus is a decent cereal with like 10g protein, add some skim milk and that's a good amount of protein for such few calories. and I absolutely LOVE eggs! and for iron, take a women's multivitamin, they usually have 100% of your daily iron requirements. good luck! feel free to add me :)
  • lolollama
    Options
    I live on Quorn products as meat replacements. I LOVE IT! You can make pretty much any normal meat meal and just put Quorn substitute in. My partner eats meat and he loves it too.
  • xdoublerainbow
    xdoublerainbow Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yay! Thank you for all the help :) My mum has actually decided to join me as well so hopefully she'll buy some of the stuff that all of you have suggested! Since I was going to do it by myself I don't really expect to get any 'special' food stuff, so I'll have to make do with the normal stuff that we buy like milk, cheese, yogurt, peanuts..stuff like that. I have talked to my mum about going vegetarian permanently and if that's the case then I'll be getting all the extra stuff that you need :)
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Great decision - you might even enjoy it so much you won't want to go back - it's better for your own health, for the animals and for the environment.
    There are some great online resources about going veggie including on the websites of Veg New, The Veg Soc, Viva, Peta and Animal Aid.
    Good luck!