Food Addiction???

Options
How do you know if you are truely addicted to food? Prior to me weight lose adventure, I began to think that I truely was addicted to food. I do love food, but most ppl do. But I think it had passed love, and became an addiction. But I have been able to stick to my diet and exercise for a month so far, would an addict be able to do that?...lol. Just curious to see who else may have felt this way.

Replies

• yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    When you start buying more then you truly need and shovel it in (no time for taste you just launch it in) basically you're addicted to food when you don't appreciate what you're eating and just care about the amount you have and how long it'll last you.
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna say I was a food addict. And that definition was probably me, sadly. I wasn't really happy until I was just stuffed and probably rarely chewed enough. As time has went on in my journey, I have improved dramatically.
  • allaboutaleah
    Options
    No, it wasn't that. I just always thought about what my next meal was gonna be, what fast food restaurant I was gonna go to. I ate when I wasn't even hungry. stuff like that
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Personally, I eat A LOT when I need to be doing something else: talking it out, finishing something, stressing over things, that kind of thing. But being on MFP you are surrounded by a variety of people, diets, diaries and everyone can help you in their own way. (I believe)
  • sammie0983
    Options
    That is so me. I am constantly thinking about food and snacking all the time. When I am bored or just sitting around, I eat. I am always thinking about my next meal.
  • Leanne_fat2fab
    Leanne_fat2fab Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I know for a fact that I am a food addict, but I've lost 20 lbs I thought I could never lose! The thing about being addicted to food is its ALL in our mind. You can fight your food addiction and your obviously on the way to beating it because dieting and exercise is not something someone who stuffs their face on the daily is worried about. Your on the right track keep it up!! :))
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Anything in your life can be classified as an addiction if indulged in excess. To look at this logically, you should determine what classifies an addiction, and wikipedia gave me this to work with:

"Addiction can also be viewed as a continued involvement with a substance or activity despite the negative consequences associated with it. Pleasure and enjoyment would have originally been sought; however, over a period of time involvement with the substance or activity is needed to feel normal"

So look at how you view food, and then look at this definition. If you see correspondence with the two, then the first step is to admit that you can at least see the problem. To fix a problem, there are three challenges to face:

- Know what you have to change
    - Know how to change it
    - Have the courage to continue changing it in the face of adversity

I learned these steps myself as I went through a full-blown addiction to food. 6 weeks ago, I'd eat copious amounts of food daily just to feel happy. I can truly say that by acknowledge my problems and knowing how to battle them, and having the courage to ignore the nay-sayers and continue on my journey, has been the best thing thats happened in my recent years.
  • Enduranze3
    Enduranze3 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with food addiction right now. The crazy thing is that I'm telling myself "don't think about food, don't think about food" and merely saying that has me thinking about food. I'm working on it though!