Homemade Whole Wheat Veggie Pizza / Pictures

Options
AggieLu
AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
A pizza you can indulge in. It's healthy and delicious.

Crust:
1 tablespoon yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups lukewarm water
3 cups + 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour (I used Wheat Montana Farms & Bakery Bronze Chief Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour)
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Non-stick olive oil cooking/baking spray

Add the yeast and sugar to a large mixing bowl. Pour in the water (it should be warm but not hot) and give it a swish with a wooden spoon to mix. Walk away from the bowl for 5 to 10 minutes to let the yeast bloom (so you know it’s happy and alive). The yeast will bubble up and rise to the surface of the water, forming a little raft of sorts. Add the flour to the yeast and water in your bowl. Mix in with a wooden spoon. Your dough will be really sticky. That’s OK. (It’s exactly what you want.) Cover the bowl up with a few warm, moist paper towels. Let it rise, untouched, for about an hour, or until it has about doubled in size. After the hour has passed, stir dough around with a wooden spoon to get the air out of it and knead it a little. Spray a 15x16'' baking sheet (I used my favorite IKEA cookie sheet) with nonstick spray. Pour the dough out in onto your prepared sheet. It will be sticky so sprinkle 1 tablespoon of wheat flour on your hands and dough as you spread the dough around and pat it down. You may want to use a rolling pin, I prefer my hands. Once dough is stretched (rolled) to desired thickness (the less you stretch it, the thicker the crust), preheat the over to 170 degrees, moist several paper towels and cover stretched/rolled dough for 1 hour while placing it on your stove-top (where it will stay warm and happy!) 5 minutes before your hour is up, crank up your oven to 425 degrees. Take moist paper towels off, spray pizza evenly with a little non-stick olive oil spray and sprinkle evenly with garlic powder and coriander. Bake 15-20 minutes until the crust makes a hollow noise when you thump on it with a finger.

This pizza crust (15x16'' without toppings) makes 25 (3x3') squares {one row obviously being 3x4'}
Per one 3x3" square: 66 calories, 1< g fat, 16 g carbs, 1< g sugar, 3 g protein, 10mg sodium

HERE'S THE RECIPE FOR MY FAVORITE VEGGIE PIZZA {Be adventurous with your choice of toppings and fresh herbs.. my second favorite is bbq chicken pizza with cilantro}

Toppings:
3/4 cup Reggano Traditional All Natural Pasta Sauce (I don't like pizza sauce)
1 1/3 cups cheese (my favorite is the Kirkland Signature 4 cheese Mexican blend)
9 oz baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
2 small onions, cut in half and sliced
7 mini red peppers, sliced
1/4 teaspoon Trader Joe's sea salt
1/2 teaspoon Rustic Tuscan Seasning
Non-stick olive oil spray

As your crust is rising, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, spray with a generous amount of non-stick olive oil spray, add onions, mushrooms, and peppers. Sprinkle with sea salt and Rustic Tuscan seasoning. Saute for 5-10 minutes. Don't over-saute. You want the veggies to be tender-crisp.

Spread pasta (pizza) sauce on your pre-baked crust, cover with a layer of mushroom-onion-pepper blend, sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted, gooey, and browned the way you like it.

ENJOY..

This pizza (15x16'' with Aggie's toppings) makes 25 (3x3') squares {one row obviously being 3x4'}
In each 3x3'' square: 96 calories, 3g fat, 19g carbs, 3g sugar, 5g protein, 98mg sodium

DSC09229640x480.jpg

DSC09241640x480.jpg

DSC09242640x480.jpg

DSC09245640x480.jpg

Replies