I'm in charge of Thanksgiving Desserts & Snacks- HELP!

Options
PudgyPigeon
PudgyPigeon Posts: 89 Member
So, with Thanksgiving coming around the corner pretty fast I look to all of you to help me this year in picking the best options for my family. This year my husband and I are in charge of three things: Drinks, Snacks, and Desserts. Sounds simple enough- pick all the wonderful sugary goodness that I can throw in my cart and call it good. Right? NO! :noway:

First- I'm clueless as what to do with drinks. It cannot be anything alcoholic and I am trying to stay clear of soda/sugary juices. If I show up with water- I think I will be shunned. Any really great ideas that is quick and simple. (If you know some juices that are okay, feel free to list them.)

As for snack... I am pretty sure I could get away with a fruit platter, veggie platter, and if I don't include the meat, cheese, and cracker heads might roll. Suggestions on meats and cheeses that will be healthy besides Swiss. ( Or ones that I should stay away from. )

Lastly, dessert... what sorts of desserts will satisfy the sweetest tooth in your opinion that will not get me tossed out for bringing the 'healthy choices' to dinner? I've found several sweet potato ideas- let's try to come up with something different. Also, my mom is taking care of the apple/pumpkin pies. Any other ideas- I am open to suggestions!

One last thing- please do not post up a link and tell me to go rummage around the site. I am running pretty short on time to go on goose chases. Simple ideas that may pop into your head will work for me. If you want to share a recipe I am more than happy to check out the recipe on a different site though. Any other questions- please ask!

Thank you in advance for your help- :heart:

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Iced Tea?

THESE are immediately what I thought of for you. They look AMAZING.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/pumpkin-swirl-cheesecake-yogurt.html
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    diet soda. swap the labels for regular labels and you'll be doing the whole family a favour and they won't even notice.
  • PudgyPigeon
    Options
    Iced Tea?

THESE are immediately what I thought of for you. They look AMAZING.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/pumpkin-swirl-cheesecake-yogurt.html

Snookumss, you are my new favorite person ever! Cheesecake is my weakness! How did you know? Ice Tea is a wonderful idea... how did that escape me! Thank you so much for the two ideas.

Anybody else have some ideas?
  • PudgyPigeon
    Options
    diet soda. swap the labels for regular labels and you'll be doing the whole family a favour and they won't even notice.

caramkoala, that is very sneaky! I like this idea and I may use this on my husband instead of my whole family. :laugh: Thank you!
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Fruit Salad with yogurt and marshmallows, it's sweet and marshmallows have no fat, I'm a sweet tooth and even though this is a healthier option than cake, it's different and still satisfies my sweet tooth.

Also, low fat crackers with a home made dip, such as spinach, lite cream cheese and french onion soup (powdered) it's delicious and lower calories than bought dip and everyone loves stuff that you make yourself
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    http://greekyogurtandappleslices.com/2011/10/12/pumpkin-gingerbread-with-dark-chocolate-chips/

This recipe above is pumpkin gingerbread loaf.. however, you could make muffins instead and top them off with some cream cheese frosting and walnuts, which is what I was thinking of doing after making this in loaf form. It's so good but not even bad for you!
  • asaba1013
    Options
    :glasses: CHEESECAKE BITES: THIS IS FOR 8 SERVINGS SO DOUBLE UP ON EVERYTHING THE MORE YOU PLAN TO MAKE! (THESE ARE ONLY 17 CALORIES EACH STRAWBERRY BITE!!!)

1/8 CUP FAT FREE CREAM CHEESE

1 TBSP & 1TSP POWDERED SUGAR

2 PACKETS OF SPLENDA

8 LARGE STRAWBERRIES

1 GRAHAM CRACKER SHEET

- - - MIX CREAM CHEESE, POWDERED SUGAR, AND SPLENDA... HOLLOW OUT STRAWBERRIES...SPOON THE MIXTURE INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE STRAWBERRIES & TOP WITH CRUMBLED UP GRAHAM CRACKERS!- - -

HEALTHY OR NOT, I LOOOOVE THE SOUNDS OF THIS AND CANT WAIT TO MAKE IT JUST BECAUSE!!!

I ALSO FOUND THESE TODAY ONLINE:

CHEESECAKE COOKIE BITES:

Ingredients
    1 pkg. (16.5 oz.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Refrigerated Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar Dough
    2 pkgs. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, room temperature
    1 can (14 oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Sweetened Condensed Milk
    2 large eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling

Directions
    PREHEAT oven to 325° F. Paper-line 24 muffin cups. Place one piece of cookie dough in each muffin cup.

BAKE for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookie has spread to edge of cup.

BEAT cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, eggs and vanilla extract in medium bowl until smooth. Pour about 3 tablespoons cream cheese mixture over each cookie in cup.

BAKE for additional 15 to 18 minutes or until set. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Top each with level tablespoon of pie filling. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

100 CALORIE PUMPKIN PIE TARTLETS:

Ingredients
    16 (2 1/2-inch) foil baking cups
    Nonstick cooking spray
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 large egg whites
    1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
    1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Fat Free Milk
    1 cup fat free whipped topping
    12 small gingersnap cookies, broken into 1/4-inch pieces

Directions
    PREHEAT oven to 350º F. Place baking cups on baking sheet with sides. Spray each cup with cooking spray.

COMBINE sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger and salt in small bowl. Beat egg whites in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Spoon 1/4 to 1/3 cup of mixture into each prepared cup.

BAKE for 25 to 28 minutes or until knife inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool on baking sheet for 20 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Top each with whipped topping and gingersnap crumbs.

HOPE THESE HELPED! I AM MAKING THESE AS CHRISTMAS GIFTS AND PACKING THEM CUTE N *kitten* LOL!!
    SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS, I TEND TO ALWAYS WRITE/TYPE IN CAPS!
  • PudgyPigeon
    Options
    Fruit Salad with yogurt and marshmallows, it's sweet and marshmallows have no fat, I'm a sweet tooth and even though this is a healthier option than cake, it's different and still satisfies my sweet tooth.

Also, low fat crackers with a home made dip, such as spinach, lite cream cheese and french onion soup (powdered) it's delicious and lower calories than bought dip and everyone loves stuff that you make yourself

Thank you premiumchilenita for the suggestions of low fat crackers and home made dips. I shall add this to the list! My mom is taking care of the fruit salad- but I will suggest this to her since we shall be shopping together.
  • PudgyPigeon
    Options
    http://greekyogurtandappleslices.com/2011/10/12/pumpkin-gingerbread-with-dark-chocolate-chips/

This recipe above is pumpkin gingerbread loaf.. however, you could make muffins instead and top them off with some cream cheese frosting and walnuts, which is what I was thinking of doing after making this in loaf form. It's so good but not even bad for you!

Fantastic! Two things I know my husband and I love- pumpkin and dark chocolate! Thank you so much asteroidvsmars!
  • PudgyPigeon
    Options
    :glasses: CHEESECAKE BITES: THIS IS FOR 8 SERVINGS SO DOUBLE UP ON EVERYTHING THE MORE YOU PLAN TO MAKE! (THESE ARE ONLY 17 CALORIES EACH STRAWBERRY BITE!!!)

1/8 CUP FAT FREE CREAM CHEESE

1 TBSP & 1TSP POWDERED SUGAR

2 PACKETS OF SPLENDA

8 LARGE STRAWBERRIES

1 GRAHAM CRACKER SHEET

- - - MIX CREAM CHEESE, POWDERED SUGAR, AND SPLENDA... HOLLOW OUT STRAWBERRIES...SPOON THE MIXTURE INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE STRAWBERRIES & TOP WITH CRUMBLED UP GRAHAM CRACKERS!- - -

HEALTHY OR NOT, I LOOOOVE THE SOUNDS OF THIS AND CANT WAIT TO MAKE IT JUST BECAUSE!!!

I ALSO FOUND THESE TODAY ONLINE:

CHEESECAKE COOKIE BITES:

Ingredients
    1 pkg. (16.5 oz.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Refrigerated Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar Dough
    2 pkgs. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, room temperature
    1 can (14 oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Sweetened Condensed Milk
    2 large eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling

Directions
    PREHEAT oven to 325° F. Paper-line 24 muffin cups. Place one piece of cookie dough in each muffin cup.

BAKE for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookie has spread to edge of cup.

BEAT cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, eggs and vanilla extract in medium bowl until smooth. Pour about 3 tablespoons cream cheese mixture over each cookie in cup.

BAKE for additional 15 to 18 minutes or until set. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Top each with level tablespoon of pie filling. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

100 CALORIE PUMPKIN PIE TARTLETS:

Ingredients
    16 (2 1/2-inch) foil baking cups
    Nonstick cooking spray
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 large egg whites
    1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
    1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Fat Free Milk
    1 cup fat free whipped topping
    12 small gingersnap cookies, broken into 1/4-inch pieces

Directions
    PREHEAT oven to 350º F. Place baking cups on baking sheet with sides. Spray each cup with cooking spray.

COMBINE sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger and salt in small bowl. Beat egg whites in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Spoon 1/4 to 1/3 cup of mixture into each prepared cup.

BAKE for 25 to 28 minutes or until knife inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool on baking sheet for 20 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Top each with whipped topping and gingersnap crumbs.

HOPE THESE HELPED! I AM MAKING THESE AS CHRISTMAS GIFTS AND PACKING THEM CUTE N *kitten* LOL!!
    SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS, I TEND TO ALWAYS WRITE/TYPE IN CAPS!

Ahhhh! CHEESECAKE! YUMMY YUM YUUUUUM! I am going to make all of these. Yay! THANK YOU SO MUCH! Also, it's okay about the caps lock... who can contain their excitement when it comes to cheesecake and recipes? haha! You're very helpful, asaba1013! <3