Weight going down, inches going up

Options
I am a bit baffled at the moment. In August I damaged the tendon and ligament in my foot and under the care of my Physio. Currently I am not allowed to exercise apart from doing 10mins a day on the cross trainer. Starting 14 Dec I am starting Lower Limb Rehab which he tells me will get my fitness back up to pre-season training standards but doing it in a controlled environment. (Sorry thought I would just give you a bit of background history).

I am baffled as I injured the foot in August and not been able to exercise since then but my weight is still going down slowly I admit losing only 1/4 to 1/2 lb a week but at least still going down. But since August (I measure myself monthly) I have found that in the three months since my measurements have increased i.e waist gone from 33 inches to 34 inches but the weight is going down. Is this due to my muscles becoming spongy and losing the tightness as I can't exercise?

Been told by Physio that I am looking at the March 2012 before I can exercise properly again.

Replies

• psychochillie
    psychochillie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are losing muscle and gaining fat. Muscle is denser than fat so 1lb of muscle is smaller in size than 1lb of fat.

There are strength training exercises you can do that would maintain and increase the muscle in many areas of your body, that wouldn't aggravate your foot. You need to be a be creative and search the net or ask a personal trainer what you can do.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Maybe also really looking at what you eat and really being conscious of not going over your calorie count, especially while your inactive.