Caloris burned in a rock concert

Options
Hello everyone,

I'm wandering if you can help to figure it out how many calories I burned last night in a Pearl Jam concert. I was on the field (general admission, no seat), standing for 3 hours waiting for the show and the next 3 hours I was jumping, pushing the crowd (not beacuse I wanted to do it, but there were far more people than the optimal. It was a very tight concert), and singing. I sweated like I never did in my hardest workouts.

I was thinking something between 350 and 400 calories, but I'm not so sure. The pushing part was by far the most physically demanding of the entire show, so I think maybe some extra calories should be added.

Thank you and best regards

Replies

• Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I wish I could calculate it for you but all I can say is that I envy you for going to see Pearl Jam!!!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I saw Pearl Jam years ago. They were great but what I remember most is no lines for beer or the women's room since most everyone was under 21 and male :-)

I personally wouldn't worry about the extra calorie burn.....
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    don't count it and think of it a bonus burn!
  • FionaNiConnor
    FionaNiConnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I went to a Great Big Sea concert over the summer. If you've ever been to a GBS show... wow. The crowd NEVER sits. There is constant dancing, singing, jumping, etc. So I counted it as four hours of "dancing, general," and turns out it burns a TON of calories.
  • Bernie526
    Bernie526 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Saw Bruce (Springsteen) last two nights. Three hours of constant standing, clapping, dancing, singing. I'm giving myself 100 calories per hour, but I'm sure it's much more.
  • solskinnzombie
    solskinnzombie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    whenever i go to metal shows and end up in the pit the whole time, i usually log it as dancing, general. Hope that helps.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

this ^
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options

This x
  • HanPatty
    HanPatty Posts: 21
    Options

I agree.
  • blondiebabe92
    blondiebabe92 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I looked it up and depending weight it is 230-500 an hour
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    standing has about a 30% increase of metabolism from sitting. (works out to in increase of aprox ~1cal/min)

Anything where you're waving your arms, walking around, etc, would also not be much more than that. It's all activity thats done by the fatty acid energy system, and it's crazy efficient.

So basically 360 extra cal in that 6 hour time was burned compared to sitting on the couch.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter???
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Did you get into a fight?

Did you run laps between acts?

Dont worry about it and hopefully you focused on having a good time
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Lol, this is why I went out with a DJ for 3 years.........................................free back stage access.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Funny I saw this I went to see Muse last night and was in the GA area, so I was standing the whole time. However half of it was spent avoiding the mosh pit, or pushing the guys back from hitting me, or holding my BF back from knocking someone's teeth in when they did hit me.

I couldn't figure out how many extra calories I burned, (I also marched in place for a bit during the opening act and the concert so my legs wouldn't hurt as much) and my FitBit counted that as stair climbing. Go figure.

In the end, I didn't count it at all, and figure it's extra calories spent.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Enough that if you went a little over on a great night, I wouldn't worry. Sometimes it's good to just go and have fun.just so long as you got time to eat something
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I would log the stand as a slow walk, i usually log concerts as dancing because I jump around like a maniac lol
  • elysec6288
    elysec6288 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know the answer to this too! I'm trying to count my calories daily but I also like to drink at shows, so I'd like to see how many drinks I have earned just by being at the show and dancing having a good time. I see a lot of concerts and know they are a great work out!