DOMS

Just a quick question.

Are certain muscles more susceptible to DOMS than others?

It seems i can really lift heavy with my legs, and not get DOMS. However, really pushing myself with my upper body, especially my pecs, nearly always results in DOMS.

Should i simply not push myself so much with my upper body, or could it be my technique that is causing it?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,881 Member
    Just a quick question.

Are certain muscles more susceptible to DOMS than others?

It seems i can really lift heavy with my legs, and not get DOMS. However, really pushing myself with my upper body, especially my pecs, nearly always results in DOMS.

Should i simply not push myself so much with my upper body, or could it be my technique that is causing it?
    DOMS is more related to the eccentric movement of any exercise and this movement is also the reason for tiny muscle tears. So depending on how your ROM is with eccentric movements sometimes you'll feel more with certain body parts than others.
    Also reps do make a difference. Try doing 20 reps per set for legs on your next workout and see what happens.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    It's different for everyone. I'm the exact opposite of you, I get more lower body DOMS than upper.
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    DOMS is an indication that you are using too much resistance. It is not uncommon for certain muscle groups to be more conditioned and better trained than others. I would rest your upper body so that the pain has subsided, then in the next workout reduce the weight you are using in your upper body routine. Some soreness is expected, but you shouldn't be experiencing DOMS.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    I mainly ask because as i play league badminton i really can't afford to have doms on a matchday, and as a result it's got a bit scared to lift. However, i know i need to be lifting during this weight loss time. Would lifting relatively smaller weights for my upper body assist in reducing muscle loss, or does it have to be heavy to achieve this?
  • HMonsterX
    6803b9ec_bump3.jpg
  • hajjcomb
    What is your goal from strength training? Hypertrophy (increasing muscle size), or increasing strength?

If size, find the comfortable weight that would allow you to do 3-5 sets of 12-15 reps. I would lean towards 3 sets, 12 reps to start. The last repetitions should be tough, but you shouldn't be struggling, and you shouldn't have DOMS a day or two later.

If strength, do slightly lower reps, 8-10, and a little more weight. Same rules on soreness apply. 3 sets should be good.

It takes a little experimentation to find what is the right amount of weight for you. Too little weight is also a problem, as it doesn't yield real results. If the load is below 60% of the muscles maximum ability, it is a relatively useless exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    DOMS is an indication that you are using too much resistance. It is not uncommon for certain muscle groups to be more conditioned and better trained than others. I would rest your upper body so that the pain has subsided, then in the next workout reduce the weight you are using in your upper body routine. Some soreness is expected, but you shouldn't be experiencing DOMS.
    Incorrect. DOMS is an indication that the muscle you worked isn't accustomed to the load. And "soreness" is DOMS. So if you are experiencing soreness then it's DOMS you're experiencing.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    I mainly ask because as i play league badminton i really can't afford to have doms on a matchday, and as a result it's got a bit scared to lift. However, i know i need to be lifting during this weight loss time. Would lifting relatively smaller weights for my upper body assist in reducing muscle loss, or does it have to be heavy to achieve this?
    To reduce DOMS, you just have to make sure the muscle is conditioned. I hardly get DOMS anymore because I do train everyday at a very good intensity and very challenging weights.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    What is your goal from strength training? Hypertrophy (increasing muscle size), or increasing strength?

If size, find the comfortable weight that would allow you to do 3-5 sets of 12-15 reps. I would lean towards 3 sets, 12 reps to start. The last repetitions should be tough, but you shouldn't be struggling, and you shouldn't have DOMS a day or two later.

If strength, do slightly lower reps, 8-10, and a little more weight. Same rules on soreness apply. 3 sets should be good.

It takes a little experimentation to find what is the right amount of weight for you. Too little weight is also a problem, as it doesn't yield real results. If the load is below 60% of the muscles maximum ability, it is a relatively useless exercise.
    Actually to build muscle (hypertrophy) the recommended repetitions are between 8-12 and for strength 6-8. Also it's practically impossible to build muscle on a calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member
  • hajjcomb
    I am going by ACSM protocol. ACE is probably different.

As with most things, there is more than one opinion out there on the matter.
  • ninerbuff
    I am going by ACSM protocol. ACE is probably different.

As with most things, there is more than one opinion out there on the matter.
    I was ACSM certified too. It's expired now and you can only do so many credits to keep it active. That's why I'm ACE certified now. I just keep rotating between organizations to keep the cert up to date.

But I doubt it's different. I'll go check in my old ACSM PT book and get back.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    DOMS is the same with ACE and ACSM.

http://www.acsm.org/access-public-information/brochures-fact-sheets/brochures

On hypertrophy, the reps are the same 8-12.

http://weighttraining.about.com/od/techniquesandstrategies/a/acsm_muscle.htm

And 3 to 6 reps for power.

http://weighttraining.about.com/od/techniquesandstrategies/a/acsm_power.htm

You must have a different book.

IDEA Fitness member
  • hajjcomb
    Hmm. The book I have is the third edition. It differentiates between hypertrophy, maximal strength/power, and peak.

Reps for hypertrophy they list as high (12-15), and for strength/power it says moderate-low, (8-10). Peak is where they get into the low reps, 6 or fewer. Obviously weight increasing as the reps go down.

This all may be more important though when designing a program that has specific periodization.

I think for most people, that 8-12 range is generally going to work.

As far as DOMS goes, ACSM states right in their text that DOMS is the first sign someone has done too much too soon. DOMS is not normal soreness in my mind. Every untrained person is going to experience muscle soreness that is greater in the beginning stages of a program than once they're more conditioned, that I agree. But to me DOMS is a condition which is of greater pain than what should be expected. Maybe I am just splitting hairs though.
  • ninerbuff
    Hmm. The book I have is the third edition. It differentiates between hypertrophy, maximal strength/power, and peak.

Reps for hypertrophy they list as high (12-15), and for strength/power it says moderate-low, (8-10). Peak is where they get into the low reps, 6 or fewer. Obviously weight increasing as the reps go down.

This all may be more important though when designing a program that has specific periodization.

I think for most people, that 8-12 range is generally going to work.

As far as DOMS goes, ACSM states right in their text that DOMS is the first sign someone has done too much too soon. DOMS is not normal soreness in my mind. Every untrained person is going to experience muscle soreness that is greater in the beginning stages of a program than once they're more conditioned, that I agree. But to me DOMS is a condition which is of greater pain than what should be expected. Maybe I am just splitting hairs though.
    I normally will list reps for beginners and most of clients between 6-12 reps dependent on their preference.
    DOMS usually last 24-72 hours. Anything beyond is usually more related to sprains or strains of muscle. You may be thinking of these instead.
    I think DOMS is very useful because especially in the beginner, if DOMS isn't present, then they aren't either doing the exercise correctly, the load is too light, or the intensity is too low.

IDEA Fitness member
  • HMonsterX
    I've had both normal muscle soreness from making the tiny tears, aka normal weights, and I've had doms a couple of times, where i'm not sore afterwards, for the rest of the day, but a day or two later it's really sore. Almost debilitating for a few days.

I think it was i just really went straight into something that was heavier than usual, maybe i didn't do enough warm up for those muscle groups.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I'm in the same boat as you. I get DOMS in my upper body (especially arms and chest) way more than the legs.

Good question.
  • ninerbuff
    I've had both normal muscle soreness from making the tiny tears, aka normal weights, and I've had doms a couple of times, where i'm not sore afterwards, for the rest of the day, but a day or two later it's really sore. Almost debilitating for a few days.

I think it was i just really went straight into something that was heavier than usual, maybe i didn't do enough warm up for those muscle groups.
    Then it's not uncommon. A heavier resistance can always end up in DOMS.

IDEA Fitness member
  • memega
    memega Posts: 73
    So I might be suffering from this demon called DOMS. Started weight training on 3rd March with Chest and Triceps after almost a full month of just cardio.

WARM UP: Elliptical trainer, fast, 10min

CHEST:
    Bench Press: bar only x 15, 20 lbs x 15, 40 lbs x 14, 50 lbs x 12
    Dumbbell Fly: 4 x 10 lbs x 12
    TRICEPS:
    Dips Machine: 12 x (base plate, 50, 85, 85, 55)
    Extension: 4 x 8 (7.5 lbs EZ)

CARDIO: Elliptical 65 min at fairly high intensity throughout.

That night I slept real well. It felt great the next day waking up!

The following day at the gym, I did just 77min cardio alone. Still no severe pain, just a little sore overall. Felt ok. However during the night, I couldn't sleep. My triceps were killing me. Cant even straighten my arms. Chest was feeling ok but my tries were killing me.

Yesterday, 5th March, I had to drive around 400+ km for different client visits and it was killing me just to make a simple U-turn. As expected, I couldn't bring myself to go to the gym yesterday. My very first drop out ever since I started on the 4th of Feb :sad:

Today its still paining. But I'm determined to go and resume my schedule. Plan is to train my Back/Biceps first, followed by my usual 1hr cardio.

My question:
    I do warm up, use weights I can handle without assistance, maintain the best posture and form I can; now what can I do different to minimize the pain?
  • ninerbuff
    So I might be suffering from this demon called DOMS. Started weight training on 3rd March with Chest and Triceps after almost a full month of just cardio.

WARM UP: Elliptical trainer, fast, 10min

CHEST:
    Bench Press: bar only x 15, 20 lbs x 15, 40 lbs x 14, 50 lbs x 12
    Dumbbell Fly: 4 x 10 lbs x 12
    TRICEPS:
    Dips Machine: 12 x (base plate, 50, 85, 85, 55)
    Extension: 4 x 8 (7.5 lbs EZ)

CARDIO: Elliptical 65 min at fairly high intensity throughout.

That night I slept real well. It felt great the next day waking up!

The following day at the gym, I did just 77min cardio alone. Still no severe pain, just a little sore overall. Felt ok. However during the night, I couldn't sleep. My triceps were killing me. Cant even straighten my arms. Chest was feeling ok but my tries were killing me.

Yesterday, 5th March, I had to drive around 400+ km for different client visits and it was killing me just to make a simple U-turn. As expected, I couldn't bring myself to go to the gym yesterday. My very first drop out ever since I started on the 4th of Feb :sad:

Today its still paining. But I'm determined to go and resume my schedule. Plan is to train my Back/Biceps first, followed by my usual 1hr cardio.

My question:
    I do warm up, use weights I can handle without assistance, maintain the best posture and form I can; now what can I do different to minimize the pain?
    Ibuprophen. No kidding. Just don't take it before workouts because it counters the "pump" when lifting. Expect DOMS whenever you take up lifting and have had either a long long layoff or are just starting.

IDEA Fitness member
  • memega
    memega Posts: 73
    Thank you ninerbuff. I'll give it a shot and see if it helps me!