Calorie Counter Question! (nordictrack)

I have been using a home Nordictrack to work out. It tracks my calories burned, but I wonder if I can trust the accuracy of the unit? The machine itself is quite old, and the numbers seem sort of high to me. Usually my 40-45 minute workout (during which I am sweating profusely and breathing heavily --not chatting on my cell phone) is said to burn 700-800 calories. Does this sound accurate? Is there anyone with the same machine to compare with me?

If it is too high, that could be sabotaging everything!
Thanks

Replies

• Emyko
    Emyko Posts: 12
    I have been using a home Nordictrack to work out. It tracks my calories burned, but I wonder if I can trust the accuracy of the unit? The machine itself is quite old, and the numbers seem sort of high to me. Usually my 40-45 minute workout (during which I am sweating profusely and breathing heavily --not chatting on my cell phone) is said to burn 700-800 calories. Does this sound accurate? Is there anyone with the same machine to compare with me?

If it is too high, that could be sabotaging everything!
    Thanks
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    i have the same machine. but usually in about an hour i burn between 300-400. but i also run and walk cause there is no way i could ever run for a hour straight :( id die. but i bet my calories would be amazing if i did.

do you run the whole time? cause if so your calorie burning sounds accurate.
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    You could technically burn that many calories, because calories burned(especially running) depends on how much you weigh and how fast you are going. If you are unsure, I suggest getting a heart rate monitor that has a calorie burned counter.
  • Emyko
    I'm not sure I'd say "run," I think it would be more like speed walking! It's hard for me to say, but my "cadence" is usually 6-8.
  • ghigdem
    ghigdem Posts: 1 Member
    A good rule of thumb is about 100 calories per mile at 12 minutes per mile. As you increase the incline the calorie burn wil lncrease. I also use a Nordictrack.
  • Emyko
    Didn't know they made these! I'm definitely going to look into this.
  • It may be off weigh 252 pounds and i run for thirty minutes at 6 mph and i only burn 572 calories. The less you weigh the less calories you burn. If you are not sure you should google a calrorie burner calculator. They allow you to enter your wieght and amount of tme you exercise and calculate the amount of calories burned during numerous exercise. Chances are that yours will be on there.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    You should definately invest in a heart rate monitor that tracks calories! I just got mine- what an eye-opener! My treadmill way over-estimates my clas burned. Other people say their machines under-estimate!:mad: :grumble: :noway:

I love my HRM!:love:
  • Emyko
    Aprilvet, what kind of monitor do you have? How expensive was it?
  • ljfitbitch
    ljfitbitch Posts: 1 Member
    I just finished a 55 minute workout on my nordic track incline/elliptical. The read out from the machine was 909 calories but... I also use a polar m400 with a heart rate monitor and the stats from that are 361 calories burnt.
    I notice that the heart rate reading on the machine is not accurate and jumps around where as my heart rate monitor is consistent - chest strap and HRM is definitely way more accurate.
  • Jaymie
    Jaymie Posts: 235 Member
    I find most machines overestimate my calories, not sure why. I had a polar f60 fantastic HRM. Now I use my iwatch to track my HR. Highly recommend getting some sort of HRM much more accurate than relying on the machines
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Does your machine have a way to input your actual weight? If not, it won't be accurate. The machine default assumes you are of average weight (150 or so) and don't hold on. (Holding on burns significantly fewer calories.) My machine seems to think I weigh 200 or more pounds, because it has my calorie burn over 900 calories an hour, running at 5.5 - 6 mph. The incline isn't that great! I just use the MFP numbers for running at 6 mph. It's close enough.

Is it a TM or an elliptical? Ellipticals tend to be more inaccurate.
  • kj1ca
    kj1ca Posts: 7 Member
    286 lbs incline 21 difficulty 17 rpm from 60 to 100, how many calories would I be burning per min? Is there a calculation?