Will we ever accept responsibility?

Options
Before I say anything.. this isn't directed at anyone individually. It's a general statement about the sad state of affairs that is our health as a nation. The HFCS=poison thread made me think about all the excuses we use for being overweight and obese. "It's the chemicals in our food, it's the food industry's advertising, it's McDonald's fault!" These are excuses we hear constantly. The fact is, we are overweight as a nation because, as a nation, WE EAT TOO MUCH. The only way to stop the obesity epidemic is to accept this, and take responsibility for it. Maybe I'm being preachy, but I think it's sad that we've all become a bunch of helpless whiners.

I just don't get it.

Replies

• hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    ^^YES!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    MFP is really the only place I hear that kind of thing. Do most people actually think that way?
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    i understand how you feel, but you can only effect what you touch. Example:

My Kids, I am teaching my kids the correct way to live, thus helping solve the problem.

I have turned on at least 5 people to MFP, and they are making the changes, and i know they will teach there children.

You can only change what you touch. Make the change, set the example, and feel good about doing it.
  • andrea_marie3
    andrea_marie3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Amen! We all need to be more responsible and accountable. Thanks for speaking the truth :happy:
  • polar135
    Options
    MFP is really the only place I hear that kind of thing. Do most people actually think that way?

I hear this all the time outside of MFP. It's on the news all the time.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options

For sure. That's been my experience, anyway. I'm also on sparkpeople , and I hear it there all the time. Most overweight/obese people I know IRL also don't accept responsibility for it. I think we've been conditioned as a society to blame our problems on outside sources, weight issues included.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Convinience is a ***** isnt it, I used to live in the US and there used to be at least 2-3 fast food places at every corner. Groceries stores were rediculous..check the prices of fries VS. vegetable....healthy costs more. Also, and dont take this personaly please, I found Americans to be alot lazier in nature, always finding the shortest way to do something, always taking their cars instead of walking. Not caring that they were fat. I am overweight and I was the skinny one in my groupe of friends.

I lost a friend last year to a heart attack, she was only 21 years old....want fries with that?

I dont blame the food I eat for my weight gain,,, I blame myself for buying and eating them. No one put a gun to my head to make me eat a big mac.
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    I agree McDonald's didn't make me fat I made me fat now I'm trying to make myself healthy
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

I hear this all the time outside of MFP. It's on the news all the time.
    Oh, well, another reason I don't watch the news. :-p
  • 2012Kristin
    2012Kristin Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Common sense and a bit of research and we should understand what we should/shouldn't eat. Sometimes it's difficult and we give in - some more than others - and that's why we're all on here.

It's crazy to think that so many restaurants out there give you a plate of food equal to 3 serving sizes.... I get a to go box right away and only eat what I actual should. Keeps me on the right track!
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    You are so right! It's the whole "clean your plate" syndrome. No, I don't need to eat until the food's gone. I need to eat until I'm full.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Absolutely 100% true.
  • Forme4real2
    Options
    So true!
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I do understand what your saying but you have to keep in mind to the portion sizes have grown. Not just in fast food, but even the size of a bagel or a pizza. Its sad but its easier to eat unhealthy than to make healthy choices. We have a lot of people out there who dont make a lot of money so they go and eat top romen or the dollar menu off some fast food because making chicken or fish with fresh veggies is just too expensive for them. To top it off a lot of women grow up wanting to be princess's in a size zero but depending on how they are raised turn to food for comfort. Instead of placing blame on ourselves or the government why not focus on the positive changes we can make in our life now, today.
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i understand how you feel, but you can only effect what you touch. Example:

My Kids, I am teaching my kids the correct way to live, thus helping solve the problem.

I have turned on at least 5 people to MFP, and they are making the changes, and i know they will teach there children.

You can only change what you touch. Make the change, set the example, and feel good about doing it.

Totally agree.
  • nikkishai
    nikkishai Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I agree! Too much focus is being put on the symptoms on obesity, but not enough focus is being put on the source of obesity.
  • runamym
    runamym Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I agree. WE all need to take responsibility for our actions and change our habits/responses to triggers. However, it is a crime in this country that one bunch of carrots costs more than a Big Mac. For those families that are pinching pennies, it is truly challenging to change their budget around to spend more money on healthy whole foods, rather than fast foods off the dollar menu.
    Our govt subsidizes corn and beef so that's why all processed foods are made from corn -- it cheapens the cost and why we're used to spending only $1 on dinner these days. That's not what good real food costs. Our government needs to spend more money subsidizing American fruit and vegetable farmers -less on corn and beef. So that can drive the costs down of fresh fruits and veggies. Watch "Food Inc." or youtube it for the clips.... it's eye opening.
    We need to take responsibility, but ALL trainers/diet coaches tell us to "clean up our environment," too - get rid of junk food in our house --- we, as a country, need to clean up our fast food/junk food environment too to deal with our obesity epidemic.... it's costing this nation billions of dollars in health care costs. My husband's company just sent out a checklist of requirements in order to get a "discount" on our health insurance next yr - which the rates will still go up - go up every year.
    and on this checklist: bmi needs to be in healthy range, good cholesterol levels, good blood pressure! Now all those workers that DON'T have these requirements will pay full price of premiums next year. lovely. good thing hubs and I are good... now!
  • polar135
    Options
    Also, i still eat fast food, i still have pizza, but i watch what i eat now. I don't get that second .99 hamburger with my Spicy Chicken Sandwich or that shake like i use to.

You can still eat stuff, but in moderation.
  • polar135
    Options
    I agree McDonald's didn't make me fat I made me fat now I'm trying to make myself healthy

TRUTH! What my healthy lifestyle choice has taught me, is that it's on me.

(I always knew this, and took care of everything but myself.) I must make the choice to be healthy. I must teach my children the same.

This choice has me change my outlook at life. I starting back on college in January. I made this goal, time to move on the next, (without losing sight of my new healthy lifestyle)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Excellent post Kate.