Getting Up Early to Work Out

Options
I was about to post this on a thread earlier, but so many people were being rude, it got pulled.

We were discussing being too busy to get a workout in.

I have such a busy day, oftentimes I only have time to squeeze in 20 min. of walking or something. I tried getting up early to go to the gym, but my entire immune system seems to revolt on me every time I get less than 8 hours of sleep.

Is there something that would help with this, so I could actually get up early and go to the gym on my busy days?

Replies

• afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    *bump* I want to as well! I started to work out in the a.m. and LOVED it but I can't seem to get up now. It DOES make you feel GREAT throughout the day; I just need to GET UP!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helps is getting your butt out of bed when that alarm clock goes off early. I wake up much, much (MUCH) earlier than I would like, but before work is the only time for me to squeeze in exercise on some days. Like everything, we can make all of the excuses we want of why we aren't doing what we are supposed to (work, kids, spouse, blah, blah, blah), but it all comes down to priorities. I made exercise the priority over an extra 45 minutes of sleep. Believe me, that was a VERY difficult decision for me to make!
  • lifeismoto
    Options
    I have disciplined myself to be in bed by 9 or 10 and I am up at 5 or 6 respectively...best decision I have ever made...its do able...sometimes rough...but once you get up and going you feel GREAT!
  • galaxyfun1
    Options
    I found that if you gradually build up to the getting up early it really helps. I started by setting my alarm 5 minutes early and did some yoga stretches in that 5 minutes then a few weeks later I changed to 10 minutes earlier and so on. Your body does get used to it and I find the gradual changes are much easier to maintain. Perhaps try to set yourself a time that you really want to be in bed the night before and have a wind down routine as well and it means getting up with more energy the next day so much more rewarding. Also I try to set aside at least 20mins of my lunch break at work for a walk which justs gives me that little extra exercise and keeps me energised for the afternoon. :)
  • 76wendyful
    Options
    Could you go to sleep earlier? Or just work out in the evenings and skip the morning workout? Maybe grab a quick walk at lunch time too?
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I agree, I have the same problem. The only solution I have found is to go to bed around 8 or 9 so i can get up at 5. i NEED 8 hours of sleep, i have no idea how but i will sleep through anything until i hit 8 hours. Move your alarm clock so you actually have to get out of bed to turn it off and discipline yourself to not get back into the bed. after a while it will be routine!

good luck!
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person so I can't help you with this one :)
    It may be crazy, but I prefer to work out once the kids are in bed. Yes, I'm exhausted, but I seem to sleep better those nights...the reward of a nice hot shower is a bonus lol
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I love working out first thing in the morning. It makes me feel good and I feel like I have already accomplished one of my goals for the day before I hit the shower.

I actually get up at 4:45am every M-F and go to the gym. I am done by 6am and head home, shower, etc so I can get logged into work around 6:30am. The main reason I started doing this was because I have a 4 year old and my wife works swing shift so I can't get away in the afternoon/evening. Before work is the only time I can get a workout in. I have just made it a part of my day.

The downside is sleep. I normally try to get to bed by 9:30, but that is still barely 7 hours. I don't even make that 1/2 the time. I just sleep a little extra on weekends.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I think my question wasn't clear:
    I tried getting up early to go to the gym, but my entire immune system seems to revolt on me every time I get less than 8 hours of sleep.

I literally get sick when I'm not getting enough sleep. Is there something I could do about this, so that I can get up early? I don't mind the actual, physical, getting up early. In fact, I am very much a morning person.

It's just not possible for me to go to bed any earlier than I do, so if I got up early, I would be missing sleep, and I would inevitably get sick, because that's how my body reacts.
  • dkueter94
    Options
    I feel the SAME way!!!! Some days its really tough for me to get 25 minutes in for a dvd and then a walk (somedays I just get the dvd done), but since my hubby leaves at 5 A.M, I have to be home from the gym by then because we have a 2 yr old princess asleep. I used to get up at 3:30 A.M , go to the gym from a little before 4 until about 5. But I was trying really hard not to fall asleep by 2 in the afternoon at work. It stressed me out SO much the night before I'd go because I knew I wouldn't get many hours of sleep since there is no way I can be in bed before 9 at the earliest. I'd get SO uptight about it when I was trying to get things done around the house so I could go to bed. SO I decided the stress wasn't worth it. Plus I was getting sick easier and major grumpy at home. So I guess you just do what you can do and some days you have more time then others and life goes on. Don't be too hard on yourself! You do what you can do, that's the way it is. Work out a little harder when you do have time to get a workout it. :)
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I found that if you gradually build up to the getting up early it really helps. I started by setting my alarm 5 minutes early and did some yoga stretches in that 5 minutes then a few weeks later I changed to 10 minutes earlier and so on. Your body does get used to it and I find the gradual changes are much easier to maintain. Perhaps try to set yourself a time that you really want to be in bed the night before and have a wind down routine as well and it means getting up with more energy the next day so much more rewarding. Also I try to set aside at least 20mins of my lunch break at work for a walk which justs gives me that little extra exercise and keeps me energised for the afternoon. :)

this sounds like a good idea. I'll have to try it. thanks for the suggestion
  • coop1973
    coop1973 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:15am every morning and I don't take a lunch Tues, Wed and Thurs to fit in my workouts......It's my ME time!
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to get up earlier than I need to. I have to be at work at 5:45, so there is no way I will be up before 4, if I can help it. When I get home, between 3:00 and 4:00 most days, it is VERY hard to work out. I slack big time. I use my days off to exercise or while I'm watching my tv program [NCIS], I use my mini trampoline, do crunches, dips, and the such. It's not the best, but it's what I can fit into my day. I'm usually in bed by 9 pm.
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    *bump* I want to as well! I started to work out in the a.m. and LOVED it but I can't seem to get up now. It DOES make you feel GREAT throughout the day; I just need to GET UP!

I could of written this myself. I will be watching. :)
  • AEcklar813
    AEcklar813 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is going to bed earlier the night before so you can be up earlier the next day and still get your 8 hours in.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I literally get sick when I'm not getting enough sleep. Is there something I could do about this, so that I can get up early? I don't mind the actual, physical, getting up early. In fact, I am very much a morning person.

It's just not possible for me to go to bed any earlier than I do, so if I got up early, I would be missing sleep, and I would inevitably get sick, because that's how my body reacts.

Just my opinion, but have you looked into Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome - there is a good book on the subject by Dr. Wilson, you can find it online. If you are getting sick from shortened hours of sleep, it sounds IMO like your immune system is not working correctly. This could be hormonal, stress related, or several other factors. Try Yoga too, as well as some possible supplements to assist in adrenal support. Also, have your thyroid checked. Do it by your AM basal temp if your blood testing come back normally. I also like the works of Dr. Ann Louise Gittleman in regards to these issues.
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Do you take any type of multi vitiman?
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I tried getting up early to go to the gym, but my entire immune system seems to revolt on me every time I get less than 8 hours of sleep.

I don't know any remedies, so just sleep. Get your 8 hours of sleep and just find some time to add in some movement.
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options

I get sick easier with lack of sleep also. I feel for ya babe.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I try to be in bed no later than 10pm and I only go early three days a week (I go to Spin class at 6 am M-W-F). I tried getting up early every day, but I was dragging by the end of the week. I'm also lucky that the gym I go to is less than a mile from my house so I get up at 5:45 and throw on clothes, brush my teeth, and am at the gym and ready to go with a couple minutes to spare.