Subway- eat fresh! Or SALT!

Options
I was so annoyed.
I kept seeing the contestants on 'the biggest loser' chowing down on Subway and thought that it must be pretty good calorie/fat/sodium wise...right?

:noway:

So I got myself one of the under 5 g's fat subs on whole wheat bread and saw that it was 5g fat for a 6 inch sub and something like 370 calories (not bad at alllllll) but then!! *GASP* I saw that the sodium was HALF of the daily allowence, NOT including the sauce/dressing!!! ADD another 700 mg's of sodium for the dressing and that's a LOT of freakin sodium for ONE meal.
It's just sooo weird because people were bashing lean cuisine's in another thread, but they have 500 mg's for the entire meal (or round about's).......I was just shocked that something as *HEALTHY* as subway was so full of sodium!
Be warned subway lovers!!

Replies

• GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I was so annoyed.
    I kept seeing the contestants on 'the biggest loser' chowing down on Subway and thought that it must be pretty good calorie/fat/sodium wise...right?

:noway:

So I got myself one of the under 5 g's fat subs on whole wheat bread and saw that it was 5g fat for a 6 inch sub and something like 370 calories (not bad at alllllll) but then!! *GASP* I saw that the sodium was HALF of the daily allowence, NOT including the sauce/dressing!!! ADD another 700 mg's of sodium for the dressing and that's a LOT of freakin sodium for ONE meal.
    It's just sooo weird because people were bashing lean cuisine's in another thread, but they have 500 mg's for the entire meal (or round about's).......I was just shocked that something as *HEALTHY* as subway was so full of sodium!
    Be warned subway lovers!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Also, I read a recent study that people eat almost half again as many calories at Subway than at McDonald's, because it's been marketed as "healthy". Processed meat and white (or beige) bread is simply not the optimum choice.

At least McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's et al don't market themselves as healthy. I don't necessarily think fast food is evil (OK, I sort of do) but that's what Subway is. . . fast food.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-09-30-mcsubway_N.htm

here's a link to the article I mentioned in the above post.
  • GinaB30
    Options
    Yep, that's the sad thing...if someone thinks it's *SO healthy* and goes and has a splurge of a foot-long sub, than that IS their daily allowence of sodium for one day.
    I for one was disgusted, because I do NOT want a lot of sodium....arg!
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    Amen to that. I've been trying to get that across to people for ages. Not to mention there are only a handful of "healthy" options at Subway...they have plenty of fatty options too!
  • GinaB30
    Options
    I SO wouldn't have eaten there if I'd known...grrr...leave it to me to check the sodium after I'd eaten it LOL:laugh:
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    I think it's the meat that has all the salt. I ran a restaurant for 4 years// I remember the sub meats being very high in sodium.

A good movie to watch....
    "Super-size me"
  • GinaB30
    Options
    I saw the super size me...ew gross...lol

I had the sweet onion chicken whatever it's called and I thought that perhaps that wouldn't be so bad compared to lunch meats- but I was wrong LOL
  • ohmygodblake
    Options
    I work at subway, and eat it everytime i've worked and still manage to lose weight, so its not all that bad. I also modify it though by only putting 2 pieces of turkey on my sub instead of 3, always choose mustard (or sweet onion sauce) and only one cheese. it works for me, and get the apples!
  • GinaB30
    Options
    That's good that it works for you, but people that have high blood pressure should definately be wary. Especially since a 6 inch sub with the sweet onion sauce has over 1500 mg's of sodium- that's over half the daily alloted amount. I'd just be careful not to get carried away with it being *so healthy* is all. I still think it's decent when you're out and need something- better than a big mac LOL
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I find anything that didn't come from a *Real Home Kitchen* is high in sodium.

Salt makes food "taste better", so they just dump it in. It should be friggin' illegal to put 50% of a days value in a single serving. I mean, this is something that affects your health! They sued the tobacco companies. Maybe the *#&% salty (@$&$'s will be next. :grumble:
  • GinaB30
    Options
    LOL maybe they will be!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    it is the cold cuts that have soooooo much salt. each 6 inch sub has a minimum of 3 pieces of meat, I ask them to put on only one and fold it length wise and add a ton of veggies, no cheese, no mayo, spicy mustard and only vinegar. I could probably go without the meat all together but I figure a little protein is good.

Nothing easy is good for us, :mad: damn it! makes me mad, because it would be nice to actually have truly healthy options on the go. I will keep packing my apples and veggies.
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I get the six-inch veggie delight on whole wheat bread without any cheese and with tons of veggies and I've found that it's just great! This has been my choice for the past 10 years (nearly half my life!) and it's always been just yummy!
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    I actually eat Subway a couple of times a week but opt for the salad option. I generally get either the turkey or chicken breast one with no cheese, just tons of veggies. The amount they give you is huge & I control the sodium by applying my own dressing. Here is the link I use to figure out nutrition values. I can generally stay at right around 200 calories.

http://subway.com/subwayroot/MenuNutrition/Nutrition/pdf/NutritionValues.pdf
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I don't think Subway is all that healthy but I love its Subs and its a treat for me when I do eat there.
  • GinaB30
    Options
    I don't think Subway is all that healthy but I love its Subs and its a treat for me when I do eat there.

Agreed- I don' think it is as healthy as they like to make it sound- BUT it beats McDonalds when you're out and need something fast or going for a treat! =o)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Subway is a bit of a 'cheat' for me just because their wheat bread still has HFCS. If I am out, and there's nothing to eat, then I definitely go there, just get turkey and eat 1/2 the bun. I don't worry too much about sodium because my BP is about 90/60 hehe, but I'm surprised that it doesn't get more attention. It certainly is risky for people with high BP just like some saturated fats are for people with high bad cholesterol, but it doesn't get much emphasis.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Salt makes food "taste better", so they just dump it in. It should be friggin' illegal to put 50% of a days value in a single serving. I mean, this is something that affects your health! They sued the tobacco companies. Maybe the *#&% salty (@$&$'s will be next. :grumble:
    [/quote]

If it isn't truly fresh it is going to be preserved with salt or sugar or chemicals (which is even worse). It doesn't take a lot to roast a turkey breast and trim it for sandwiches and then you are in better control of what is in or on your sandwich. Also, canned chicken that is packed in water, like tuna, if you need a quicker fix.
  • GinaB30
    Options
    Subway is a bit of a 'cheat' for me just because their wheat bread still has HFCS. If I am out, and there's nothing to eat, then I definitely go there, just get turkey and eat 1/2 the bun. I don't worry too much about sodium because my BP is about 90/60 hehe, but I'm surprised that it doesn't get more attention. It certainly is risky for people with high BP just like some saturated fats are for people with high bad cholesterol, but it doesn't get much emphasis.

^^^ For sure, I love it and everything- and have it for a treat now and again (I was never one to eat it much anyway) but goodness, for someone with high BP it could be really fooling them! =o/