OMG! The Diet Drink quiz

Options
2»

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I limited myself to 1 diet soda a week, because I got to the point where I was having one everyday and i just wasn't happy with that. That said, if fyou have been drinking 5 a day, cutting back to 2 a day is really pretty good. Maybe with time you'll cut back even further. Diet pop isn't good for you, everyone knows that, but neither are a lot of the things we eat/drink. It's your body so it's completely your decision. SOme swear off diet pop, others swear by it! DO what is right for you.
    very nicely put Kerri...doing what's right for us is really the bottom line..it can get confusing hearing so many thoughts on matter. So when it comes down to it, it's our body and our choice in the end.:drinker:

FC:heart:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, funny how different we all are.

10 years ago, when I took my then 16 yr old son to the gym 4 times a week, we would be starving on our way home. We always stopped at a McDs for a small diet soda.

It kept us from eating something yucky, until I could get home to make dinner.

Some ppl can drink a beer and not have another for a year, others will drink thru their savings account when the 1st can is popped! We are all different and need to find out what works for us!

As far as physician info, my doctor told me that soda is worse for women than men because it leaches the calcium from your bones. He also said it will be very hard to fit in a bottle of soda if you already have a bottle of water in that hand!

I also dont drink my calories, but have been known to have a glass of juice to fulfill my 5 aday!!
  • wannaBme
    wannaBme Posts: 143
    Options
    I've replaced all my pop diet or regular with Club Soda in the large bottles ...
    I have 1 or 2 at "cocktail hour" with fresh squeezed lime juice and a drop of stevia.

My other fluids are water, water, jasmine green tea, water and once in a while red wine.

Not only can we cut back on calories, artificial sweeteners, food colorings, caffenine & sugar craving triggers but we can save $2 to $10 a day ($60 to $300 a month) by eliminating ready to serve beverages from our lives. PLUS save the planet from millions of cans, styrofoam cups and plastic bottles.

Fill your coffee mug with green tea ... fill your own water bottles (2) .. fill another with soda and lime ... Now you are set for about 8 hours :wink:
  • tazzy
    tazzy Posts: 197
    Options
    soda may not cause toothe decay but recent evidence does link it damaging tooth enamel which can be equally as bad my bro always drank soda probably 3 cans a day usually diet coke til our dentist said stop as he had dangerously low levels of tooth enamel so he stopped and within a year they were back to normal shame he began drinking diet soda again. dentist recommend the only safe drinks are milk and water. Stevia sweetner is supposed to be OK dont think you can get in the uk yet though we only seem gto have asparteme which is linked to all kinds I have read that it may even cause cancer so I'd rather not take a chance diet soda isn't that nice that it is worth risking my health or my teeth over.

Very good points made by wannaBme if everyone drinks 1 soda a week thats 52 empty cans or bottles a year. So we can be healthier and save the environment.:wink::wink: :wink:
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    No matter how you look at it-they're empty calories.

Any kind of artificial sweetener gives me a horrible migraine-so I steer clear of it all. It's not good for you and your body does not know how to metabolize the artificial sugar-its actually better to drink regular and just count the calories, at least your body knows what to do with the sugar.

I say its better to just drink water and if you crave the bubbles, drink some kink of carbonated water.

But that's just me and I so against "diet" things...
    I agree I'm not a diet drink girl, I myself try to stay away from the artifical stuff...

Diet pop does pretty bad things to your teeth that's for sure, so even thinking on that...imagine what it's doing to the rest of our bodies. Someone mentioned giving it up for awhile and then picking it back up, many on here have shared it's simply to sweet then to even think of drinking. Clean eating can really change our taste buds, it's like it bring them back to normal and we no longer crave the fillers, fake sugars, chemicals etc. from fast food, pop, and other junk foods.

It's amazing but it really does change what you enjoy when you clean eat for a bit, doesn't even take very long before next thing you know you simply have no desire to eat the more sugary foods.

Hope you're successful in your decision to cut back or cut out the fake sugars.:flowerforyou:

I too truly believe it DOES lend to even more sweet cravings! :ohwell:

My dentist told me at my last visit that diet pop is NOT bad for your teeth. regular is. It's the sugar itself that rots your teeth (it mixes with bacteria, allowing the bacteria to grow and multiply, causing tooth decay). Diet pop is not good for you by any means but as far as I know it's not bad for your teeth.

My dentist was horrified when she learned I was drinking more than one pop a day and I had to promise her to stop. I have about $10,000 worth of dental work done because of the acids in the soda - the sugar in regular didn't help but the diet wasn't much better. It's the acids in the soda that wears away the enamel of the tooth and especially if you brush right afterwards (because the acid softens the enamel and then the brush scratches at a soft surface, it's doubly bad.

I haven't had soda of any kind regularly in about 3 months and where I was having 3-5 a day I find that I just don't miss it. I actually had one regular Coke a few weeks ago and it was too sweet. And then at a company lunch I ordered a diet coke and it had a funny flavour....I would rather drink plain water - and I used to hate plain water.....

Everyone has their own choices to make, but don't think diet soda is loads better than regular because the acid in any pop (citric acid specifically) is really strong and peels the enamel off your teeth. If you do, make sure to follow it up with a few glasses of water and don't brush your teeth right afterwards.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    No matter how you look at it-they're empty calories.

Any kind of artificial sweetener gives me a horrible migraine-so I steer clear of it all. It's not good for you and your body does not know how to metabolize the artificial sugar-its actually better to drink regular and just count the calories, at least your body knows what to do with the sugar.

I say its better to just drink water and if you crave the bubbles, drink some kink of carbonated water.

But that's just me and I so against "diet" things...
    I agree I'm not a diet drink girl, I myself try to stay away from the artifical stuff...

Diet pop does pretty bad things to your teeth that's for sure, so even thinking on that...imagine what it's doing to the rest of our bodies. Someone mentioned giving it up for awhile and then picking it back up, many on here have shared it's simply to sweet then to even think of drinking. Clean eating can really change our taste buds, it's like it bring them back to normal and we no longer crave the fillers, fake sugars, chemicals etc. from fast food, pop, and other junk foods.

It's amazing but it really does change what you enjoy when you clean eat for a bit, doesn't even take very long before next thing you know you simply have no desire to eat the more sugary foods.

Hope you're successful in your decision to cut back or cut out the fake sugars.:flowerforyou:

I too truly believe it DOES lend to even more sweet cravings! :ohwell:

My dentist told me at my last visit that diet pop is NOT bad for your teeth. regular is. It's the sugar itself that rots your teeth (it mixes with bacteria, allowing the bacteria to grow and multiply, causing tooth decay). Diet pop is not good for you by any means but as far as I know it's not bad for your teeth.

My dentist was horrified when she learned I was drinking more than one pop a day and I had to promise her to stop. I have about $10,000 worth of dental work done because of the acids in the soda - the sugar in regular didn't help but the diet wasn't much better. It's the acids in the soda that wears away the enamel of the tooth and especially if you brush right afterwards (because the acid softens the enamel and then the brush scratches at a soft surface, it's doubly bad.

I haven't had soda of any kind regularly in about 3 months and where I was having 3-5 a day I find that I just don't miss it. I actually had one regular Coke a few weeks ago and it was too sweet. And then at a company lunch I ordered a diet coke and it had a funny flavour....I would rather drink plain water - and I used to hate plain water.....

Everyone has their own choices to make, but don't think diet soda is loads better than regular because the acid in any pop (citric acid specifically) is really strong and peels the enamel off your teeth. If you do, make sure to follow it up with a few glasses of water and don't brush your teeth right afterwards.

Yes I see your point on enamel. But to be fair, orange juice and citrus fruits do the same thing, and nobody is suggesting we give up those. All things in moderation.
  • jenjen89
    Options
    the thing is that soda..... is just plain bad. not only does it have sugar and artifical flavor. but it also can damaged some of your organs!!!!!!!

so if u must have soda, just twice a month would be good.

well good luck!!!

=)
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that I don't like pop or coffee or beer! :laugh: Good luck to you on cutting down!
  • tazzy
    tazzy Posts: 197
    Options
    Yes I see your point on enamel. But to be fair, orange juice and citrus fruits do the same thing, and nobody is suggesting we give up those. All things in moderation.
    [/quote]

Depends how much you like you teeth water and milk only safe drinks I personally would give up these as I like my teeth and want to like them for a good few more years yet I am 30 this year and I have not a single filling in my mouth and my teeth are perfectly heathly so I aint gonna damage them with a drink. Eating fruit is different because you produce saliva when you eat that helps protect your teeth which is why instead of glugging a big glas of rather high calorie high calorie OJ pick up an orange and eat it better fullstop.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options

I agree - but I wouldn't recommend drinking 2-3 glasses of OJ a day either :wink:
  • kerrilucko
    Options

I agree - but I wouldn't recommend drinking 2-3 glasses of OJ a day either :wink:

haha no, I wouldn't either.

About fruit, it does damage your teeth the same way. I have a fruit who loved lemons as a child. She just loved eating them. He front teeth literally rotted out. Now she has falsies. So.... ya, even though it's FOOD it still does damage.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

About fruit, it does damage your teeth the same way. I have a fruit who loved lemons as a child. She just loved eating them. He front teeth literally rotted out. Now she has falsies. So.... ya, even though it's FOOD it still does damage.

You have a fruit? :huh:
  • kerrilucko
    Options

was typing quickly. Meant to type friend, I think that is pretty obvious.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

was typing quickly. Meant to type friend, I think that is pretty obvious.

I apologize for offending you, that was not the intention. I was just trying to lighten the mood here....
  • timetoembrace
    Options
    you are not alone

i love bubbles...had a diet coke today...I went to Subay and I HATE unsweet tea....so i got a soda....

get tired of water? me too

I hope DS wont hurt you...or i am hutrin tooo:laugh: