Calories Burned

Options
Does anyone happen to know how accurate the calories burned per exercise count is here?

I walked 3.0 miles today in 47 minutes and according to my cardiotrainer app it says that I burned 358 calories but when I entered the same info here, it says that I burned 385 calories. I just want to know which one I should follow.

Replies

• runfrommygenes
    Options
    Honestly, the only true calories burned is knowing what your VO2 is with a test (like New leaf) and then using a HRM to watch it... and even than that isn't accurate..... it all really depends on your muscle mass vs fat mass etc...
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Both are reasonable estimates, it doesn't really matter.

Take the average of both, if you want to be anal.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    It's about as accurate as your calorie estimates so input both as best you can see how it works out in a week/month
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I usually suggest that if you don't use a HRM that you take the lowest estimate.
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    If I put in 40 minutes on the elliptical MFP says I burn 811 calories, the elliptical machine at the gym says 630. I just go with the lower, but I don't really think either is accurate.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    How hard to you work on the elliptical? Even 630 calories for 40 min seems high. I assume you go at a pretty fast pace?
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    How hard to you work on the elliptical? Even 630 calories for 40 min seems high. I assume you go at a pretty fast pace?

I think it sounds high too.... but I am 298 pounds (hate to admit that but I used to be 432!) I think because of my weight it is a lot more but I don't exactly believe it is accurate, same with MFP... I think it uses your weight to calculate calories burned but I'm certain I'm not burning that many. I take the lowest and go with it.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Ah. That makes sense. Thanks
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i have never used the estimates on here so i am not sure how accurate they are, however one thing i noticed since i got my hrm is the massive difference between what the hrm and the gym equipment says. when work out on the elliptical for about 30 mins, there is usually at least 100 cals more displayed than what the hrm shows. likewise, when i use the stationary bikes in the gym it is the opposite, the gym equipment is alot less than the hrm. i would totally recommend everyone to invest in a hrm.