Heart rate while doing cardio

Options
I have heard mixed reviews about your heart rate level whie doin cardio. Some people say that you should keep it in the 150's because that is when you are burning fat and some people say that if your heart rate is in the upper 170's you are burning glucose not fat. I thought the harder you work obviously your heart rate will be in 170's the better for burnin g fat...Please someone help me out!!! Thanks for any answers

Replies

• mawhite717
    mawhite717 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    about a month ago or so my boyfriend and i went to buy a treadmill. the owner of the place we bought it from was a trainer. he told us your heart rate is based on your age. the older you are the higher you need to get your heart rate. he gave us a formula to use, but i dont have it with me right now :o( i will get it and let you know what it is. im 29 and in order for me to lose weight i have to have to have my heart rate between 153-163.
  • saabs80
    saabs80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    about a month ago or so my boyfriend and i went to buy a treadmill. the owner of the place we bought it from was a trainer. he told us your heart rate is based on your age. the older you are the higher you need to get your heart rate. he gave us a formula to use, but i dont have it with me right now :o( i will get it and let you know what it is. im 29 and in order for me to lose weight i have to have to have my heart rate between 153-163.
    If you cAN GET THAT FORMULA FOR ME i APPRECIATE IT
  • yeroc39
    Options
    I can give you one of the best formulas to use. The basic formula is 220-age=MHR. But that formula starts to be less accurate as you get above your 20s. One of the best ways to find your % of max is go run a 5K and really run hard the last mile and sprint in the last 100 miles. Then look at your HRM at the end and that's pretty close to your max. Then take your %s off of that.

But for those who don't run one of the best formulas is called the Karvonen that factors in your Morning Resting heart rate which is bacically taking the 220-age and fine tuning it to YOU. Here is a link to it http://www.briancalkins.com/HeartRate.htm

Taking your morning resting heart rate is a great way to track your health and fitness and is a great tool to do anyway.

Now there is no magic heart rate zone for losing weight. The reason experts called the 60-70% target zone the FAT BURNING ZONE was that you do burn more of your calories from fat and it paces you so you can go long enough. But the reality at the 70-80% you would burn more overall calories so if you exercised the same time, you would burn more fat calories. So the secret, go as long and as hard as you can....but most people cannot realistic do that.

So do some workouts longer in the 60-70% TZ. Then do some workouts in the 70-80%. And even do 1 workout a week if intervals at heart rates above that...if you are conditioned and your doctor gives you the ok.

The main point,. you need to vary your workouts each week. If you can do 2 60-70% 1 70-80% and maybe an interval workout,. you will do the most for losing weight and also gaining better conditioning. You will also teach your body to burn multiple energy sources and that's what you should really be after.

Sorry so long....