What does Physical Fitness Training/Conditioning mean to you

Options
Just thought I'd throw this out there as a point of discussion and interest... Everyone is bound to have different answers and I thought it might be inspiring to see how fitness and physical training/conditioning shape your life.

For me, it epitomises a lot of my personality, focus and drive.

Why?

Fitness training and endurance training challenges me. Its arduous, it requires effort, some skill and technique, planning and caution yet not being risk averse.

It makes me more determined and teaches me to cope with adversity.

Physical conditioning also allows me to live healthier and better, feel good about myself, perform my job to the best of my ability, give me routine and structure in my day to day life. It gives me something to be passionate and focussed about. It is a hobby as well as a necessity.

It is image and it is intrinsic happiness and wellbeing.

Oh...and when I come back knackered...it helps me sleep! :)

Who's next...?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I just want to look good naked, and I also thoroughly enjoy lifting really heavy things.
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Despite the fact that it's good for my health and weight loss/maintenance, I just love what it does for my mind, my mood, my outlook on things, my confidence, my strength, my posture, etc, etc!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Being fitter/healthier is a no brainer, but I do like the training/planning aspect, though not so good at keeping injuries at bay.
    Will keep trying though :)
  • shrekk218
    Options
    I train because stronger people are harder to kill. :devil:
    I train for pure pleasure to break those personal records.
    I train because the weight room doesn't lie or cheat.
    I train because it is simple you either can or you can't.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    you get sore
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I train because stronger people are harder to kill. :devil:
    I train for pure pleasure to break those personal records.
    I train because the weight room doesn't lie or cheat.
    I train because it is simple you either can or you can't.

Love this... kind of relates to my "Train Hard - Fight Easy" mentality!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Training is allowing me the opportunity to re-create myself.

I am not a vain person but I needed to look in the mirror and see the person I wanted to be. Not the Homer Simpson like character I had become.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life!
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    At the peak of my physical fitness, which of course is certainly not now.... I was a whitewater kayaker, it required endurance, strength, calculation, and precision. Nailing a technical run, hitting a hole just right and being in the zone, I felt confident, I knew body's capabilities, I never ran out of energy. The confidence alone was a drug. My point being, was the training and fitness level I had reached enabled me to have strength and confidence in my very favorite thing. I was unstopable and I miss it... my mind was clear, and I slept like the dead.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Loving everyones responses and interpretations of the questions! :) Wonderful to see how it influences everyone differently! :)
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    The more physically fit I am, the more I am able to enjoy God's creation:

Quote:
    Walk away quietly in any direction and taste the freedom of the mountaineer. Camp out among the grasses and gentians of glacial meadows, in craggy garden nooks full of nature's darlings. Climb the mountains and get their good tidings, Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. As age comes on, one source of enjoyment after another is closed, but nature's sources never fail.
    John Muir.
  • dansing83
    dansing83 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I train so I can do the things I enjoy; hiking, horseback riding, biking.

I train because it is an amazing fountain of youth; and I have seen how vital being in shape is when you are older. My father died of cancer last year at 74. He was in shape and it carried him a long way before the cancer finally took him. Even when he could barely walk, he would take his walker out every day he could and walk up the street and back. It took him about 20 minutes.

Which leads to my last point, I train because it doesn't just build physical stamina, it builds mental/emotional stamina. Which is vital to a successful life.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I train so I can do the things I enjoy; hiking, horseback riding, biking.

I train because it is an amazing fountain of youth; and I have seen how vital being in shape is when you are older. My father died of cancer last year at 74. He was in shape and it carried him a long way before the cancer finally took him. Even when he could barely walk, he would take his walker out every day he could and walk up the street and back. It took him about 20 minutes.

Which leads to my last point, I train because it doesn't just build physical stamina, it builds mental/emotional stamina. Which is vital to a successful life.

^^This^^
  • Gunff
    Gunff Posts: 47
    Options
    It means feeling good when outside and playing with my puppy, Or chasing her down when she runs away and not so tired I have to go get the car to catch her.

It means getting my BMI under obese so that I won't be leaving my family earlier than I should.

It means being able to help older friends and family move heavy objects so they do not have to injure themselves when they need things done,

It means teaching the next generation the same principles of healthy lifestyle so they don't have to go through what I have losing 50+ lbs.