This is the year I have to get rid of the weight

Options
I am half a month from being fifty years old. I was never the barbie type but at one time I at least had a waist. Realized last week that I am aging and don't want to end up using a walker to get around or being pried from a chair. I am on a sick leave right now so I can't do anything strenuous or much lifting but I would sure appreciate any suggestions. I started this last week and have lost 6 pounds by just restricting calories but.......... When better I want to join a gym. Anybody know much about Curves? The YMCA is close by but my big body would scare too many people. Thanks

Replies

• kcran
    kcran Posts: 18
    Options
    I am half a month from being fifty years old. I was never the barbie type but at one time I at least had a waist. Realized last week that I am aging and don't want to end up using a walker to get around or being pried from a chair. I am on a sick leave right now so I can't do anything strenuous or much lifting but I would sure appreciate any suggestions. I started this last week and have lost 6 pounds by just restricting calories but.......... When better I want to join a gym. Anybody know much about Curves? The YMCA is close by but my big body would scare too many people. Thanks
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site. Glad you have joined. A couple of activities I have enjoyed is an aqua jog class and quigong. Quigong is a type of tai chi and very low impact nothing to difficult. Some simple stretching and relaxation type exercises that stregthen as well.

You can do this.:flowerforyou:
  • kcran
    kcran Posts: 18
    Options
    thank you:smile:
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I used to go to Curves and it worked at first, but I got bored and only toned the same muscles over and over. The nice thing about belonging to a gym that offers a variety of options is just that - you have a variety of options. So it really depends on what you are looking for and how you get inspired to work out. The important thing is that you start somewhere and it seems you are sincere in your desire to be a fabulous 50! Go for it!

By the way, your body is not to big too scare people. While I am not 'big' I could stand to lose another 10 pounds. When I go to the gym and see people who are trying to lose weight and be healthy, I am thrilled that they are there, I offer much support and get inspired myself. Do what is right for you and don't worry about what other people think! :wink:
  • chrispchef1
    Options
    welcome to the site! 50 is a magic number isn't it? i just arrived too (to this site AND to 50!)

wow - 6 lbs. is a fantastic start!!!

what works for me is walking! everywhere, as much as possible. even around the mall or grocery store or home improvement center (it's cold and dark here after dinner, so choices are limited) i work from home most of the time, so i also try to walk around the house every couple of hours. just keep moving!

don't know much about curves except that it's all women and very effective.

best to you -- FIFTY AND FABULOUS!!
  • rmowrer
    Options
    Consumer Report recently had a good article that rated different gyms (programs). I'll try to get the date of the issue.