Apple shaped women

Options
Is it possible to change your hip waist ratio and no longer be apple shaped, or will you just be a smaller version of your apple shaped self? I am currently 5' 2.5" and 118 pounds, but I am still an apple shape and not a healthy waist to hip ratio. My waist is 28 inches and my hips are 33 inches, which makes my ratio .85. It has gone down from .9, but I am wondering how much smaller I have to be to get it below .8. I read that women should be below .8, and anything above puts you at a higher risk for heart disease. Have any of you apple shaped women out there eventually gotten down to a pear shape, and how small did you have to get before that happened?

Replies

• fitnatic67
    Options
    wait....pear is better than apple? i'm so lost when it comes to women.....geeesh!
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    wait....pear is better than apple? i'm so lost when it comes to women.....geeesh!
    Apple carry more weight in the belly which is a reis-indicator for heart disease. Pears carry the weight more in the hips and butt with a lower risk of heart disease. Hour glass is pretty proportionate.
    To the poster: I am not sure but I hope so as most of my 100-102 remaining pounds seems like sits mostly in my belly. OK mayboe only 50% of it. :P
  • LadyNeshoba
    LadyNeshoba Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just wanna know why we're always compared to fruit >.>
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I just wanna know why we're always compared to fruit >.>

This. LOL
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    how do you work out your ratio? I'm 32" waist at minute. I usually measure around widest part of my tummy, if I was measuring my hips would the tape be under my tummy bulge? If I go from top of hips the tape would also have to go around bottom of my tummy giving me a bigger measurement?
  • marine_wife0520
    Options
    Try doing workouts targeted for your obliques. This is a great site for looking up different workouts for different parts of the body.
    http://www.divine.ca/en/fitness-and-nutrition/exercise-finder/c_266/
  • Kabula
    Kabula Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to change your hip waist ratio and no longer be apple shaped, or will you just be a smaller version of your apple shaped self? I am currently 5' 2.5" and 118 pounds, but I am still an apple shape and not a healthy waist to hip ratio. My waist is 28 inches and my hips are 33 inches, which makes my ratio .85. It has gone down from .9, but I am wondering how much smaller I have to be to get it below .8. I read that women should be below .8, and anything above puts you at a higher risk for heart disease. Have any of you apple shaped women out there eventually gotten down to a pear shape, and how small did you have to get before that happened?

The good news is that you are at a very healthy weight for your height! Remember that it also depends on your body shape! Unfortunately whatever body shape GOD gave you is genetics and you cannot change genetics, that is your bone structure for life. You can maybe tone up your mid section if it's not toned already :-) and work on toning up and getting lean not necesarilly losing weight! I'm the same height as you but furtunately and unfortunately I'm an hour glass -- which can be very pleasing attractive if you look like Salma Hayek or Kim Kardashian but I'm overweight that's why I'm here! (Girl it is so hard to find jeans that fit! I'm not buying any until I loose all the weight I want to loose) :-) Hope this helps and be content with what you have!
  • valerieschram
    valerieschram Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    how do you work out your ratio? I'm 32" waist at minute. I usually measure around widest part of my tummy, if I was measuring my hips would the tape be under my tummy bulge? If I go from top of hips the tape would also have to go around bottom of my tummy giving me a bigger measurement?

Here is one calculator, which also tells you how to properly measure your waist and hips:

http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/waist_hip.asp
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing because while I'm not to my ideal weight yet, I have a hard time believing I'll be able to get my waist small enough for a good waist/hip ratio.
  • wanderlust3
    Options
    As I understand it, being an apple or a pear shape doesn't matter -- AS LONG AS YOU ARE AT A HEALTHY WEIGHT. The problem is that when apple-shaped women gain excess weight, they tend to gain it in their belly, which puts you at a higher risk for heart disease than gaining weight in your hips and butt. So, as long as you eat right and stay at a healthy weight, you're fine.

As for the question of whether you can change your shape -- well...sort of. You can lift and eat healthy foods to get lean and strong with tighter muscles, which can shrink your waist size a bit even if you aren't losing pounds on the scale, and cardio will obviously help as well as improve your heart health (which is the goal to begin with!). That said, you can't change the underlying bone structure that genetics gave you. Some people just naturally have small hips and will never have much lower than a .8 waist-to-hip ratio.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If you are putting all your weight in your middle, have yourself checked for diabetes. It's a common thing for a diabetic to put all the weight in the middle. I don't know how to change that except to keep your sugar intake as low as possible. Its something to do with insulin and cortisol and fat storage around your organs. Its the least healthy place to be fat, all around your heart and organs. The best thing to do is stay as low carb as you can and do a lot of fat burning exercise.
  • KrystleZia
    Options
    Since you "measure the circumference of your hips at the widest part of your buttocks" (from http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/waist_hip.asp) then you can change your ratio by building up your butt muscles :)

I'm not sure how this would affect your health risks but it would certainly affect your shape!