chinese

Options
Can chinese be ok to eat as long as you eat veggies and chicken maybe ?

Replies

• bigjug1967
    Options
    Can chinese be ok to eat as long as you eat veggies and chicken maybe ?
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I think so. I get broccoli and beef and I can't remember what the caloric info is, but it wasn't bad. Obviously rice is not the best choice. But I honestly believe everything is okay in moderation.

*Kistinbee*
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of sodium in some chinese dishes, so be sure to check out the calories/fat/sodium in each thing before loading up on it.
    I mean, eggrolls and springrolls and just oozing fat- so be careful.
    Yum, I love chinese tho! =oP
  • bigjug1967
    Options
    i like the chicken broccoli and beef and broccoli and cheese angels of course
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Sodium is very, very, very high. Also, the fat content even in innocent looking stuff is usually not so good. I notice a huge water-retention (my rings get tight) the day after my rare greasy-chinese indulgence. (mmmmm.....greasy chinese)

But, I agree that everything is good in moderation, and nothing should be forbidden. (Unless, that is, you'd like to drive yourself crazy.:wink: )
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine that there is any particular ethnic food that is completely 'healthy'. You may not know if they prepared the chicken with broccoli using dark meat, white meat, fat and skin or the same concerns with pork, beef, etc. Most boullions that they use for gravies have lot of fat. and the sodium is ridiculously high. Just be careful - stay away from the fried stuff, and keep your portions in check!
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    What are Cheese angles?
    and remember EVERYTHING IN MODERATION DEAR!:smile:
    if you want to have your stomach the size of your fits. (Which is about right, You eat about a cup of food.
    But I digress, if you make it yorself, It is a LOT better for you then at the Chinese take out place.
    Where they put LOADS of SODIUM in EVERYTHING! :grumble:
    oh and the buffett???? DO NOT GO THERE PERIOD!!!!!!!!! :huh:
    --Diann...
    Oh and remember that Ethnic food is not BAD for you as long as it is made THEIR way (pick your country.) and not AMERICA'S way.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    hummm.. 'their' way isn't always good either. I studied in Costa Rica for a while and their way of making refried beans is to use lard -- Yucky. Some of the greasiest food I have ever was native German. There are examples of all types of ethnic foods, good and bad. So stick to eating healthy food, whatever variety it is :wink: !
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Yes and they use real food in Denmark and France too, and THEY are not fat, in fact Chinese are not fat, and the reason is portion control. In America we add processed things to EVERYTHING!
    (Being a warning for a Diann Belief here for a second.)
    (I think that the way foods here are processed with chemicals that make all of the foods that most Americans eat regularly, IE Mc Donalds and Chips, and things like that, Addictive.)
    (Again this is a Diann belief I am not stating this as a proven fact here. :wink: )
    and we eat 5 times more in each setting, It is not a wonder that we are the fattest nation in the world. And England is following in our foot steps.
    So with that said,
    Ethnic food is not that bad if you eat the amount you are supposed to eat and not the AMERICAN portion, a soup bowl in America is a family serving bowl in China.
    --Diann...
    Of course they also walk everywhere in other countries too.
  • ChimyWang
    Options
    American Chinese food is horrible if you're trying to maintain a healthy diet. The reason being is that mainly all American-Chinese food is FRIED. Fried foods are loaded with trans fat oils that are bad to your health. Even if the oil they use is trans fat free, the added calory consumption is unwanted. With all fried foods comes the bad starches. Orange Chicken is my favorite but even though I know there's nutritional chicken on my plate I know the chicken is surrounded by a fried starchy bread as well as sugary suace that makes my tongue oh so happy but my belly oh so bad.

Real Chinese food barely uses any oil and is prepared in a much more healthier way than American-Chinese food. This goes for all Asian food as well. One problem you'll find consisted with all Asian foods is they love that pork.

You may then ask why is it that Asians in general are not obese. Well the reasons for that are plenty. First our Eastern neighbors culture hardly ever commits the crime of gluttony. Eat with a group of them or just the next time you're out eating at a resuarant look at their table when they are done. You'll see every single plate has food on it. When Asians get full they stop eating. They don't suffer from the dreaded bad habit of Americans that can't seem to leave anything on their plate. This is quite noticeable amongst American Blacks and Hispanics. The reasons range from cultural reasons that I'm not gonna get into since this topic is very controversial and not yet proven since results vary from study to study. Asians also love soup. Soup is one of the most healthiest types of foods out there. One of the main reasons is that with soup the individual stomach is so full from all liquid of the soup that they barely have enough room to stuff their face with an unhealthy main dish and desserts. Don't believe that you can consume milkshakes all day though because Soups are low in calories too. I know there's more information that I'm forgetting but I can't remember at the moment.

Well I hope that answered your question
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    drink a lot of water, because of the salt in chinese food. If you can't enjoy what you like to eat every now and then you are not setting yourself up for success.

everything in moderation! And a bite for me too please...lol
  • skhunter51
    Options
    When eating Chinese use chopssticks and if you are not use to using them....it will slow you way down and you will fill up before you overeat. I use chopsticks to eat all of my favorite foods like spaghetti.....it takes forever for me to eat with chopsticks so I fill up before I overeat.