Has anyone heard of the VLCD (diet) ?

Options
_snw_
_snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
VLCD == Very Low Calorie Diet

It's not a fad diet, in fact, it's a Dr recommend diet for those who need to lose a lot of weight. You gotta be careful though, here are the guildlines
~ You calorie intake per day is between 500 - 800 calories.
~ Doctor stress that there should be "good" calories so you still get nutrition you need
~ To ensure you don't go into starvation mode, It's NOT a longterm diet. In fact, it should only be for 12 weeks in the 500-800 cal range. After that, you stup up to 800-1200. (I believe you go back down after those 12 weeks are up, if you didn't lose everything you need.
~ It doesn't restrict what "kind" of calories, since a calorie is a calorie, but obviously, if you eat a candy bar, that's 300 calories mostly from fat. You can eat a lot of healthy items to match those 300. So use common sense and choose wisely.
~ drink, throughout the day, 3L of water.

That's pretty much it. After I read a bunch about it from reputable sources (NIH, FDA, ivy league schools, etc), I asked my doctor about it, who completely agreed with me.

In about 5 weeks, I've lost about 8 pounds.

Anyone else doing this diet?

(p.s. ---> If you have any bit of punk rock in you, join our group "Punk Rockers Scare You)

Replies

• NishaMisha
    Options
    Yes, I am.

I started out at about 800 calories per day and that's what I stay around. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less. I also exercise for at least 30 minutes per day, 5 days a week and I don't eat back my exercise calories. There are day I end up with negative calories.

I am under a doctor's supervision and I have a nutritionist I see once a week. I take vitamin and mineral supplements as well.

I know there is going to be those that say I'm starving myself, but I'm doing what my doctor recommends, so unless you are my doctor, please don't judge.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Use the "search" link above this thread to search for: HCG.

Also, get the facts: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390151-should-i-do-the-hcg-diet
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Well I had over 80lbs to lose to even hit the TOP of healthy BMI and by following MFP's guidelines I lost 4 or 5lbs the FIRST week I was here (2lbs a week recommended calories) and there were several others after that where I lost that or more too. Then it slowed down so in a year it's still averaged out to about 1.3lbs a week.

Seems silly to restrict myself when I know that a healthier option without the risk of binging because you're literally starving yourself is a workable option.

Edit: I'm a nursing student, so not a doctor but still learning a lot about nutrition and how our bodies REALLY work.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I have heard of it and I don't think tis a totally great idea unless you are under a very strictly regimented diet and your doctor's supervision. And even then I wouldn't do it -- I want to have a high metabolism that burns 2k+ calories a day in maintenance -- I like EATING and I want to keep doing it. But its probably fine for those that dislike food.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    That's pretty much it. After I read a bunch about it from reputable sources (NIH, FDA, ivy league schools, etc), I asked my doctor about it, who completely agreed with me.
    Do you happen to have any of those sources handy? Would love to read them.
  • KrystleZia
    Options
    Actually I just read a study on that diet: http://www.jacn.org/content/18/2/115.full

The people in the study were on an 800 calorie per day diet for 12 weeks. The issue I see with this kind of dieting is that you might be losing a lot of lean body mass (muscle) instead of fat. Since muscle weighs more than fat, you'll see the number on the scale go down dramatically, but what you are leaving behind is a weak, soft body. I research this a lot because I'm relatively lean and want to tone up, but whenever I restrict calories I lose lots of muscle, which is a bummer. Muscle is what gives your body a nice shape, especially your legs and bum.

Back to the study, it suggested that weight training aggressively during this diet will prevent loss of muscle, even at 800 calories per day. Plus, weight training raises metabolism, meaning that your results are more likely to stick after the diet.
  • RunLiftEat
    RunLiftEat Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've lost 11 lbs in 5 weeks eating three times that much and exercising. I don't think you get any better results starving yourself. I have also gotten stronger and feel better. The lbs lost from eating so little probably includes a lot of muscle.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    My wife did something like this with fantastic results, 40 lbs in about 2 months. She used "The Rapid Fat Loss Diet" by Lyle McDonald, which is a protein sparing modified fast.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    is your doctor also monitoring your blood work and your cortisol levels and such to make sure you are not harming or putting undo stress on your body??? best of luck to you if this is what he and you have decided...just please be careful and listen to your body...
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    In about 5 weeks, I've lost about 8 pounds.

On 800 calories a day? A 2lb per week goal here would put you at 10lbs with almost 2x the calories I'm guessing
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    No comment... just watching this discussion.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You forgot one important guideline: don't do this without doctor's supervision.

By the way, if it's for people who need to lose a lot of weight, why are you doing it? Your profile says you want to lose 24 pounds.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Shazam! They already zapped the sales post. Well done MFP!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    They keep coming out with new names for anorexia. I can hardly keep up.
  • _snw_
    Options
    Do you happen to have any of those sources handy? Would love to read them.

Just google "VCLD" and look for the sources from oxford, nih, fda, etc ... that's how i found them. Lost of very boring reading though.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    FYI: It's completely possible to lose eight pounds in five weeks without starving yourself.
  • _snw_
    Options
    You forgot one important guideline: don't do this without doctor's supervision.

By the way, if it's for people who need to lose a lot of weight, why are you doing it? Your profile says you want to lose 24 pounds.

I eluded to that by saying i talked to my doctor about it. She's with me on this one.
  • _snw_
    Options
    FYI: It's completely possible to lose eight pounds in five weeks without starving yourself.

I'm sure there is. Except, I'm not starving. 800 calories, eaten right, is quite a bunch.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Just google "VCLD" and look for the sources from oxford, nih, fda, etc ... that's how i found them. Lost of very boring reading though.
    Virginia Council for Learning Disabilities?
    Verecloud Inc.?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

I'm sure there is. Except, I'm not starving. 800 calories, eaten right, is quite a bunch.

all the grape skins and lettuce you can eat!