A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. No crap. What they don

Options
13»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Better yet, take a look at my diary both yesterday and today. Am I not going to be healthy because I have ice cream, chocolate, poptarts, and other sugars in my diet?

I cannot wait to hear the answers.

WTH would you have ice cream, chocolate, pop tarts or sugar when you can have wine for the same calories??? Seriously. I don't get it.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    So since we all agree that for losing weight purposes:

30g of protein, 20g of fat, and 50g of carbs in 2 slices of pepperon pizza

is the same as

30g of protein, 20g of fat, and 50g of carbs in 4oz chicken breast, 1 cup veggies, 2 cups of rice, and some flaxseed oil

Does this mean that if I eat the pizza that I won't be healthy?

Better yet, take a look at my diary both yesterday and today. Am I not going to be healthy because I have ice cream, chocolate, poptarts, and other sugars in my diet?

I cannot wait to hear the answers.

I craved pizza all day long, but instead of caving for what would likely be several slices of meaty goodness, I bbq'd the steak from my fridge and had with a buttload of veggies. And I felt good about my choice. Until your post. :grumble:

Should have gone with the pizza.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I would have trouble thinking clearly on 500 calories a day.

Close, I think she is on the 800 calorie diet.
  • kwitie
    kwitie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How much is 1 calorie when you convert to metric?

Well a calorie is a calorie is a calorie so I reckon a calorie in metric is a calorie.
    seriously though 4.18 joules.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    If your point was the quality of calories consumed helps with achieving a low P-ratio and preferential partitioning of calories towards muscle tissue preservation / growth rather than fat oxidation, with higher volume of food that can be consumed using natural, nutrient dense whole foods and helping not only with satiety and preventing over eating but also falling leptin levels, insulin resistance and cortisol levels caused by underfeeding you should have just said.

In reality though P-ratio is governed mostly by genetics which is rather depressing.

In plain English what this means is that unless you are reaching advanced levels of development you don't really need to get stressed about the quality of calories if your goal is to look good nekkid. Maintain a calorie deficit and reasonable protein consumption and you will be fine. On a health point of view however quality of calories is of more importance.

:love:
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure i understand your point, that you can eat a candy bar or chicken veggies and something else and lose weight?

I was thinking the same thing. Isn't this just a rant about hating when people say 'a calorie is a calorie' with an explanation of how a calories is still a calorie.

Maybe it's only bad if you say it without giving an example?? Something like a calorie is a calorie so WTH would anyone eat a Big Mac when you can have an entire bottle of wine for the same amount of calories.

yeah, give me the wine please. lol
  • Bluemoonfairy
    Options
    I wish there was a "like" button for the above comment.:laugh:
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Well I have been going about all of this "calorie counting" wrong!!! Sheesh!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    But a calorie IS a calorie.

It's a measure of energy.

It's not good, it's not evil, it's not a macronutrient, it's not out to get you, it doesn't have healthy or unhealthy characteristics in and of itself, it's not something you can touch or hold or fondle (mmmm... calorie. Oh, sorry I was thinking about chocolate then).

If the point you are trying to make is that we should choose our source of calories wisely to get the maximum nutrition and enjoyment from our daily calorie allowance, then I agree.

If your point is something else... then I have no idea!