doing the math is dissapointing

Options
_snw_
_snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
I know there all are all kinds of exceptions to the rule, but just for sake of arguement, let's go with the "it takes 3,500 calories burned to lose 1 lb of fat"

Let's say you go on a 30 minute, brisk walk, everyday. That's ~100 calories burned. It would take THIRTY FIVE days of walking to lose a pound. ONE pound.

Do something hardcore like spinning your *kitten* off for 60 minutes. That's a mere 450 calories. Much better than walking in regards to calories, but it would still take you EIGHT days in a row of spinning class to lose that one pound.

It would take over FIVE hours of high intensity kickboxing to lose just that one pound.

Someone please? Can you tell me some kind of silver lining that I'm not seeing for myself?

(p.s. ---> If you have any bit of punk rock in you, join our group "Punk Rockers Scare You")

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    You're not calculating the deficit by eating under your TDEE
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit = weight loss
    Exercise = toning and general health
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,137 Member
    Options
    Well, you're doing more than losing weight. It is a difficult thing to wrap your head around, though. I agree.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    I know there all are all kinds of exceptions to the rule, but just for sake of arguement, let's go with the "it takes 3,500 calories burned to lose 1 lb of fat"

Let's say you go on a 30 minute, brisk walk, everyday. That's ~100 calories burned. It would take THIRTY FIVE days of walking to lose a pound. ONE pound.

Do something hardcore like spinning your *kitten* off for 60 minutes. That's a mere 450 calories. Much better than walking in regards to calories, but it would still take you EIGHT days in a row of spinning class to lose that one pound.

It would take over FIVE hours of high intensity kickboxing to lose just that one pound.

Someone please? Can you tell me some kind of silver lining that I'm not seeing for myself?

Lift heavy weights. That's pure gold right there. And read New Rules of Lifting to get started...
  • sunraze
    sunraze Posts: 115
    Options
    The workout is only like 20% of it. The real numbers are in the intake. Most people can dramatically cut back here being used to eating 2000-3000 cal/day. Even if you cut back 500 cal/day and burn 500 cal/day, that is 2 lbs per week. Look at the workout as the part that is fun and good for your heart and mind. In my opinion, the food is the real challenge.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    The body doesn't just burn calories while doing exercise.
  • bllarkin
    Options
    You burn calories just sitting there (base metabolic rate). Losing weight is burning less calories than you consume, and burning calories = exercise + base metabolic rate. Also, as you exercise and tone your muscles, your base metabolic rate will typically increase, meaning you burn more calories at rest.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Don't give brisk walks a bad rep. Anything is better than nothing. Being more physically active is healthier than not being more physically active. You may reach your goal in a longer amount of time, but you are at least working towards it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    That's why we say it's 80% diet, 20% exercise. A 500 cal/day deficit will yield 1 lb per week / 52 lbs per year....
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise 3500 calories away, you just need to eat 3500 calories less than your body is burning through a combination of living and exercise. MFP calculates a calorie goal based on this number. It's already doing the math for you.

Don't worry about it and just follow the MFP guidelines. I promise it works.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    This is why exercise alone is usually not sufficient for weight loss. You have to cut back on your calories, too.
    (MFP works in a calorie deficit when calculating your daily goal, so if you eat your goal and eat back exercise calories you'e still getting that calorie reduction). 1 lb a week means eating about 500 less calories a day than you burn.

The other good news: when you exercise regularly, building muscle and endurance, you also boost your metabolism so you use more calories at many activities (including sitting on your rear)
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    are you really just trying to push your Punk Rocker group?
    it's like all the posts that end with Shakeology references...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The other post where you said you only eat 500-800 calories per day really throws a whole different light on this.
  • slimkitty
    Options
    The silver lining is in the improved health and wellbeing.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    You have to keep in mind that every body is different. Someone can do the Atkins diet and lose 50 and someone else can only lose 10. Someone can walk every day and shape up and get they body they want after only 6 months and another it takes longer. Men tend to shed the pounds quicker than women even when they are eating the exact same thing. You have to realize what is right for YOUR body and when you find out what works keep working at it.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It take time, effort and lots of hard work to get it done.

Sometimes after a long run (15 - 20 miles) I stop by the store to get what I had dubbed "the 2 mile cookie." Tasty for sure, but it takes me 2 miles of running to burn off the 250 calories of chocolatey goodness...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,723 Member
    Options

(p.s. ---> If you have any bit of punk rock in you, join our group "Punk Rockers Scare You")
    You burn more fat calories at rest than 1-2 hours of any exercise activity. You're not counting your calories from your BMR.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Math isn't very punk rock.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Getting in some good cardio keeps your body in a heightened state of motivation... you move more... you move more and feel beter... you feel better and you move even more... it's almost like physics or something.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    And this is why nutrition is so important. Simply reduce how much you're eating, focus on getting around 1g of protein per pound of LBM (lean body mass), .45-.6g of fat and make up the rest with carbs. You can then factor in workouts, strength training being the best for your body, and you will lose. The numbers aren't so daunting when you realize that abs are made in the kitchen.