New to MFP, half way to goal & anticipating holiday blues!

Options
Hey everyone! I'm new to MFP and am really liking it so far. I used NutritionData.com for a long time to track calories but nothing to track fitness and progress. My cousin - MFP user mbratcher - introduced it to me and I'm so glad she did! I have the app on my blackberry and use the website all day at work.

Anyhow, I'm about half way to goal and am hoping to push through the holiday season with little to no gains from emotional eating or even just plain celebrating/feasting with loved ones. I'm sure I'm not the only one with the same hope!

I'm 27 years old, 5'8" and started my life change a little over a year ago at approximately 280 lbs. Today, I'm weighing in around 230 lbs with a few of those pounds coming from a temporary bloat because of eating wheat and full fat dairy products the last few weeks. I used the hcg diet with injections for two rounds throughout the last year; round one was a 33lb loss and round two was a 31lb loss. If you noticed, that means I've lost 64 lbs total in the last year with some gain between the two rounds of hcg. I mostly attribute the gain to wheat and full fat dairy consumption; I've also battled emotional eating for a really long time and realize that it is to blame as well.

I mention the dairy and wheat because I suspect I have some intolerance to these two things. I've noticed a trend of reactions to these things in my family (aunts, female cousins) as well as my own little sister. She and I saw such a big difference in our digestion and overall quality of life when we did the hcg protocol together; zero gas, zero heartburn, zero acid reflux, increased energy, etc.

For the last two weeks, I've cut calories - specifically high fat and wheat-based foods. I've increased fruits and veggies as a result and am tracking every single bite with MFP. I'm also doing The Shred or the Couch Potato to 5k running plan at least five times a week. I love/hate The Shred and can't stand running/jogging but I experience positive results and am committed to it all.

I mentioned that I am about half way to my ultimate goal of 180 lbs. I'm not interested in being "skinny" or "ripped"; I like being curvy and want to keep some "cushion" but I want to be fit and out of the danger zones for HBP, high cholesterol and type 2 diabetes more than anything. Technically my BMI will still be in the overweight zone at 180 lbs but I had one of those electric scans done at a weight loss clinic and was told my healthy weight goal is about 188 lbs. So, that's what I'm aiming for, at least until I reach it :-)

So, all that to say, I'm excited to be on MFP! I am so stinking encouraged by the success stories I've read and the people who are working hard to reach their goals. I'm inspired! Keep up the hard work, y'all!

Replies