ideas for a low sugar dessert

Options
jennajosephine
jennajosephine Posts: 85 Member
It's my job to bring a dessert to thanksgiving dinner, and because my aunt is a diabetic, I figured I could make one that is low-sugar.

Any ideas?

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I'm rather partial to sugar free pudding.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I don't have any great suggestions but you could go to a library and flip though some diabetic cookbooks, or look through some websites, you could also try substituting the sugar in recipes for splenda/stevia (just try it ahead of time so you know it's tasty with the substitution!)
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Sugar-Free-Apple-Pie

I've made this before for Thanksgiving, and my mother-in-law made a regular apple pie and no one could tell which one was the sugar-free one!
  • missygirl94
    Options
    Pumpkin pie can be made with splenda and is JUST as satisfying, particularly when you add spices and whipped cream (either a "lite" version or actual whipped with no sugar).
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    That's very considerate of you! As someone who can't eat sugar myself, having someone remember that is always appreciated.

If you want to make a pie or cheesecake, crush a bag of pecans and/or walnuts, melt some butter and use some Splenda, mix it together to make a low-carb, sugarless "crust" for the bottom.

The sugar-free pudding is a good suggestion.

One thing I'm making for our Thanksgiving is the Atkins muffin-in-a-minute recipe, the pumpkin muffin version.
    http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase1/WhatYouCanEatinthisPhase/AllAboutMIMs.aspx
    You make it in a coffee cup, so I'm going to make several muffins, slice them into cookie-sized pieces, and frost them with frosting made from whipped cream cheese, vanilla and Splenda.

There are all sorts of recipes out there on the 'net. Good luck!
  • angelapolite
    Options
    Read this thread, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/247182-greek-yogurt-cheese-cake-mini-s

Sounds yummy and looks low sugar, I am watching my sugar too. I was thinking of making it for Turkey Day too!
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    Every year I take a raw peach pie for my cousin who is diabetic and she has to fight people to keep them away! I know it sounds a little strange, but it has an amazing bright flavor and has become my go-to dessert when I'm having a bad sweet tooth.

Raw Peach Pie

Crust: 1 C. pecans
    1/4 - 1/3 C. dates
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    In food processor, blend pecans with cinnamon until crumbly.
    Add dates, starting at 1/4c and blend. Add dates as needed until doughy consistency is reached (i.e. the mixture sticks together). Press into deep dish pie plate.

Filling: 4 ripe peaches, sliced
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    2 dashes ginger
    6 - 8 dried apricots (natural, no sugar added)
    Place all ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth. Spoon into crust, cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate 2- 3 hours.
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    Every year I take a raw peach pie for my cousin who is diabetic and she has to fight people to keep them away! I know it sounds a little strange, but it has an amazing bright flavor and has become my go-to dessert when I'm having a bad sweet tooth.

Raw Peach Pie

Crust: 1 C. pecans
    1/4 - 1/3 C. dates
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    In food processor, blend pecans with cinnamon until crumbly.
    Add dates, starting at 1/4c and blend. Add dates as needed until doughy consistency is reached (i.e. the mixture sticks together). Press into deep dish pie plate.

Filling: 4 ripe peaches, sliced
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    2 dashes ginger
    6 - 8 dried apricots (natural, no sugar added)
    Place all ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth. Spoon into crust, cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate 2- 3 hours.

This sounds delicious!
  • jcb1958
    jcb1958 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just posted this on another board. They have recipes that anyone watching calories/fat could enjoy.

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/diabetesrecipes/recipe.cfm?recipe=Fluffy Pumpkin Pie
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    sugar free pudding by jello
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    dlife.com

Almost Better than Sex Cake

A decadent cake made with yogurt, pudding mix, chocolate chips, and pecans.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 45 minutes
    Difficulty: EASY

Nutrition Facts
    Makes 20servings
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 249.3
    Total Carbs 32.9 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Sugars 20.4 g Total Fat 12 g
    Saturated Fat 2.6 g
    Unsaturated Fat 9.4 g
    Potassium 46.4 mg
    Protein 3.9 g
    Sodium 268.6 mg

Ingredients
    1yellow cake mix or sugar free mix 18.5 ounce package
    1cooking spray, for baking
    1/2cup fat free milk
    1/4cup cold water
    1/3cup canola oil
    2eggs
    2egg whites
    1cup plain nonfat yogurt
    1Pudding, vanilla, instant, 3.5 ounce package (one 4-serving box) regular or sugar free
    4oz bar German baking chocolate , grated
    1/3cup semi sweet chocolate chips
    1/2cup chopped pecans
    Directions
    1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and coat a 10-inch Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
    2 Using a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, milk, water, oil, eggs, egg whites, yogurt, and vanilla pudding. Beat slightly, only until ingredients are mixed.
    3 Stir in the grated chocolate, chocolate chips, and pecans then pour batter into prepared pan.
    4 Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake.
    5 Cool 10 minutes, and invert onto a serving plate.

Additional Information
    You can use sugar-free cake mix and pudding mix to help bring the sugar, carbs and calories down in this recipe.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Tiramisu Bites
    A guilt-free dessert made from cream cheese, coffee, and vanilla.

Prep Time: 140 minutes
    Cook Time: 0 minutes
    Difficulty: EASY

Nutrition Facts
    Makes 30servings
    Amount Per Serving

Calories 27.6
    Total Carbs 2.7 g
    Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Sugars 0.6 g
    Total Fat 1.7 g
    Saturated Fat 0.5 g
    Unsaturated Fat 1.2 g
    Potassium 11.7 mg
    Protein 0.2 g
    Sodium 17.7 mg
    Dietary Exchanges
    Servings 30
    Ingredients
    12oz cream cheese, whipped
    2tbsp SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, granulated
    1/4cup brewed coffee , cold
    1/2tsp vanilla extract
    1cup frozen low fat whipped topping
    30mini phyllo tart shells

Directions
    1 Combine the cream cheese spread, splenda, coffee and vanilla in a medium bowl and mix.
    2 Refrigerate for two hours.
    3 Fold in frozen whipped topping.
    4 Use spoon or pastry bag to fill tartlets.
    Additional Information
    Top each mini tart with a raspberry or blueberry if desired.