Menopause and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• grandmatbigsky
    Options
    Kudos to you for getting started again! I'm a 52 yr old mother of 13 kiddos, (Yes, 13! and wonderful blessings, everyone!) I'm definitely in the midst of all the "menopausal-funnies" too. Take comfort: There is some evidence that your natural tendency to retain a few extra lbs during this phases provides you your own mini HRT supply! Though it is VERY frustrsting to try so hard to lose, count every day that you just maintain as a victory. Your needs will change, this phase WILL pass, and your weight come off a bit easier later on. Have you had your thyroid checked? It's pretty common to be low thyroid about this stage... Find a buddy to walk with: the outdoor time, the gab-time, and the sense of obligation to one another has really given me a boost in the arm to start in afresh too. Interspersing moderate eating with 2-3 week stretches of a more vegetarian regimen, and really avoiding the milled wheat and refined sweets has finally made a "whopping" 1.5 lbs budge... (but only after 3 weeks of walking 11/2 -3 miles daily!) But Hey! it's a start! and I truly feel better and am finally getting realistic about being CONTENT with good health over surface appearance. Count your blessings, and pass on the potatoes n' gravy! :flowerforyou:
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your great words of support. I really hadn't thought of all the other women out there going through the same things. It also doesn't help that my husband is 3 years younger than me and can eat everything in the house, sleep on the couch and practically lose weight, *kitten*! LOL

Thanks again, and I will be back!

My husband is 2 years older than me. He's a skinny guy and eats all kinds of junk. Never gains an ounce! I look at his food and gain! Have wanted to smack him when he's eating brownies or whatever. Lol
  • misty8parker
    misty8parker Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well, I may not be having menopause issues yet (only 35) but we have the exact same highest weight, Im 5'3", and we have similar weight loss goals....we should be friends!
  • LaVerneHarvey
    Options
    Hi KR,
    I'm also dealing with menopause. It so sucks, because unlike PMS the symptoms come whenever. I'd like to tell you what made the difference for me in weight loss. I cannot strenuously exercise, I have a medical condition and it's impossible, and so I walk. I found that even though I was walking up to 45 min. a day, and walking pretty fast too, I didn't lose much if anything even on the diet. Then one evening while watching The Biggest Loser, one of the trainers said that you have to exercise at least one hour a day just to maintain your weight when in menopause. So I upped my walking to 90 minutes a day. Truthfully, I had previously lost 40 pounds doing this, I haven't been able to get much more loss after that, so I've upped it to 100 mins. I have lost a little since but not as much as I would like. I hope this helps.
    LaVerne Harvey
  • LaVerneHarvey
    Options
    I read that by checking to see if you have hair from your eye brows that don't come all the way down beside your eyes that's a sign of low thyroid. Dr. Oz btw lol. I don't think I explained it very well. But I think I'm watching too much TV.
  • Cg66
    Cg66 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi , you sound just like I did 3 1/2 months ago. I started doing my TreadClimber for 30 min a day and eating right not light, right. Lots of veggies and lean meats. And yes I have snacks to.. I have lost 24 pds! I started at 187 and felt like S---. I feel wonderful today! You can do it you know you can but, ya your right it sucks not to be able to eat the bad stuff that we love so much. You will be so happy with your self and you can even go shopping for new clothes in your own closit. Keep in touch!
    Colleen,
  • ejtell
    Options
    I've been told that "changing up" the exercise routine every 3 weeks is critical and that your body gets "used to" whatever you are doing so "more of the same" just isn't going to help. I went from 45 min to 90 min on treadmill and after losing my origianl 17 pounds lost nothing for weeks. I changed the incline from 0 to 4.5 and then started to lose a little bit more but i'm "stuck" again so getting a trainer's help to identify new routines I can do at home that don't overstress my aging joints and such. Menopause definitely makes it harder to lose weight and harder to know if a pre-menopause weight goal from only 10 years ago is feasible. Any thoughts?
  • esthersheridan
    esthersheridan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new to the site and frustrated with trying to loose. How are you coming? This menopause era just sucks!