Options
dga226
dga226 Posts: 224 Member
looking for local healty chicken wing recipes cant wait to try them all

Replies

• fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I can say my recipe is a healthy one......chicken wings without even adding anything are not the greatest because they're covered in that delicious crispy skin..... :( I know my favourite take out wings are about 100 cals a piece and they're a dry rub (which is loaded with sodium)!!!

But as for a yummy, not terrible version is boneless chicken wings (aka sauced chicken meatballs). This recipe is from Rachael Ray:

Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
    Rachael Ray's Big Orange Book Copyright 2008

1 pound ground white meat chicken
    1/2 small onion, grated
    2 cloves garlic, grated
    1/2 cup parsley, chopped I used some dried parsley
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup hot sauce (such as Frank’s)
    3 scallions, green and white parts thinly sliced
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1/2 cup sour cream I used lite
    1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
    A couple of handfuls celery sticks
    A couple of handfuls carrot sticks

Preheat oven to 400ºF.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken with the onion, garlic and parsley, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Flatten out the meat in the bowl and score it into four portions using the side of your hand. Shape each portion into four balls – you should have sixteen meatballs in total. I used my scoop and got more.

Arrange the meatballs on a nonstick sheet pan and drizzle them with EVOO. Place in the oven and bake until the meatballs are cooked through and golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.

While the meatballs are baking, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the hot sauce and whisk to combine. Toss the baked meatballs in the hot sauce to coat.

Mix together the buttermilk, sour cream, blue cheese and most of the chopped scallions.

Transfer the meatballs to a serving platter and spike each one with a toothpick or serving fork. Place the bleu cheese dressing in a small serving bowl and garnish with the remaining scallions. Serve the meatballs with the bleu cheese dressing, celery and carrot sticks alongside.
  • emily773
    Options
    Oh, chicken wings. In my idea of heaven, you have chicken wings, celery, blue cheese, and beer. And you never get too full and you never get too drunk!

Sometimes what scratches my itch are boneless, skinless chicken breast tenderloins with a mix to taste of Frank's Red Hot, garlic powder, and butter. I try to only put a little bit of butter in and am looking for something to replace the butter with that will still have the same effect. Maybe margarine? Too chemically? Not that Frank's doesn't seem pretty....processed.

If you like blue cheese, I like to mix actual blue cheese crumbles into light sour cream or Greek yogurt. It's thick and satisfying the way a light blue cheese dressing couldn't be.

The other good Rachael Ray recipe to try is her buffalo turkey burgers from her 365 Deliciously Different Dinners cookbook. Here's a link to the recipe. I also saw she did a variation of those burgers but they looked pretty different and involved some sort of cooked blue cheese gravy...weird.

http://savorynotebook.blogspot.com/2007/07/rachael-ray-buffalo-chicken-burgers.html
  • Jedibeau
    Options
    Boneless honey-garlic “wings” with blue-cheese dip.

Per serving (7 boneless wings with 2 tbsp dip): 543 calories, 18.6 g total fat (5.2 g saturated fat), 57 g protein, 30 g carbohydrate, 0 g fibre, 258 mg cholesterol, 975 mg sodium

Preparation time:
    Cooking time:
    Yield: 32

Ingredients
    Chicken "Wings" with Honey-Garlic Marinade
    1/2 cup honey
    1/4 cup hoisin sauce
    3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
    3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    2 teaspoons grated gingerroot
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon sesame oil
    1/2 teaspoon curry powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    3 pounds (1.35 kg) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
    Blue Cheese Dip
    1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
    1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise (not fat-free)
    1/4 cup light sour cream
    1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions
    Chicken "Wings" with Honey-Garlic Marinade
    Whisk together all marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
    Cut each chicken thigh in half. Place chicken pieces in a large, heavy-duty, resealable plastic bag. Add 1/2 the marinade to bag (reserve remaining marinade). Turn bag several times to coat chicken with marinade. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
    Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and fold or roll the chicken pieces into uniform oblong “wings.” Place wings on baking sheet close together (touching), as this will help them hold their shape. Bake for about 10 minutes, until partially cooked and still pink in the middle.
    Meanwhile, preheat gas grill to medium-high heat. Brush grill rack lightly with oil or spray with cooking spray. Using tongs, transfer par-baked wings to grill and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes per side, basting often with reserved marinade. The more you baste, the better they taste! They should have some nice grill marks on them. Serve hot wings with cold blue cheese dip.
    Blue Cheese Dip
    Whirl together all dip ingredients in the bowl of a mini food processor until almost smooth. The dip shouldn’t be perfectly smooth like sour cream; it should have some texture, but no lumps. You can mash the blue cheese and mix the dip by hand, but it will be chunky. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Keeps in the fridge for about two days.
  • SlimBananas
    SlimBananas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bump thanks for sharing