Only in Congress: Frozen Pizza as Vegetable?

Options
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/20...e-school-lunch/

Long story short: Because frozen pizza contains tomato sauce, it can be considered a vegetable for school lunch purposes.

As Marie Antoinette would no doubt say of kids who are consistently dependent on school lunches for proper nutrition, "Let them eat pizza!"

I'm sure there's a lot of witty responses or commentary on this...give me your best shot fellow MFPers!

Replies

• auctoritas
    Options
    The best part is, tomatoes are botanically a fruit!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    There's another thread about this. :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/399295-pizza-is-a-vegetable
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Even more reason for parents to stop being lazy and make their children lunch!!!!!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Bleh - I saw something about this on facebook earlier today and just rolled my eyes. No wonder America is the fattest country in the world...
  • emily773
    Options
    My non-vegetable eating fiance is constantly trying to tell me that spaghetti and pizza sauce count as a veggie, lycopene is awesome, blah blah blah.
    I'm thinking, okay, maybe if the marinara is homemade, but your standard jar of sauce doesn't seem like it would cut it. Haven't I heard about the sugar and salt hiding in there?
  • LittlestStar
    LittlestStar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Remember the time Ronald Reagan decided that ketchup was a vegetable? This smells similar, no?
  • nukehiker
    Options
    i think the news story i saw said it was a veg because the pizza contained like 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce. they wanted the pizza to have like 1/2 cup of sauce in order to get credit as a veggie. yea this is the stupidest thing i have ever heard of. !!!
  • nansidhe
    nansidhe Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The best part is, tomatoes are botanically a fruit!

LOL. You beat me to it.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Works for me, veggies are a free food on weight watchers, lol.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I wonder if the children of our Congress men and women eat only pizza as a vegetable. Somehow I bet the lovely private schools they can afford to send their children to probably have more well balanced meals. Irritating.