Chia Seeds: My little secret.

Options

Replies

• M3CH4N1C
    M3CH4N1C Posts: 157
    Options
    Out of all the seeds I've read about, hemp seeds got more bang for the buck, health wise that is.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Oh yeah I heard about this on Toneitup.com ...thankyou for posting!
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tangledinplaidd
    tangledinplaidd Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I heard about this on Toneitup.com ...thankyou for posting!

no problem!
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle chia seeds on my English muffins with peanut butter. Chia seeds got very popular after the book Born To Run came out. They have some great health benefits.

Just beware of the side effects. They have an anti-coagulation effect, so if you have low platelets or are on a blood thinner like aspirin or Coumadin, talk to your doc about chia. They also lower blood pressure, which is typically good, unless you have hypotension. There is also a possible correlation between alpha-linolenic acid and prostate cancer, and chia contains a higher amount of this substance. So if you're high risk for (or have) prostate cancer, probably best to avoid.
  • gumonyershoe
    Options
    Interesting! I'll have to try to remember to look for it!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I discovered the same thing! I haven't been able to find chia seeds on their own yet but my favourite snacks are sunflower and chia seed crackers :)

You can get them at any health food store or at nutsonline (one of my favorite sites):

http://www.nutsonline.com/cookingbaking/chia-seeds/premium.html?gclid=CL_s7OuFv6wCFUdn5Qod6GersQ

THANKYOU for this link!!!
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've seen them at Costco.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    The Salba brand advertises itself as a the next level of chia. Healthier. I think it's just an advertising thing but anyone know or have any thoughts on that. Salba is going around my work place as the going thing but no one knew they were chia seeds. They said they were salba sees....anyone use Salba?
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Wow! Sounds worth a try! Thanks!!!:wink:

^^ This
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have a TBSP everyday in my smoothie for breakfast. Have been doing this for the last 10 months. Also heaping tablespoon of ground flax seeds.

I do the same!
  • BigDanTX
    BigDanTX Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I started taking Chia seeds even before I heard they are the "new super food". Met a new age hippie vegan, her words, who said she took 1/5 tbsp at breakfast to help with digestion. I don't know about all the hype it's getting since there are no FDA studies. However I do think it's helped controll my hunger and help with my hydration.
  • MarchelleLynne
    MarchelleLynne Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hardly a secret when it aired on Dr.Oz lol, I have been wanting to try this also, I probably will now for sure lol. I am just wondering will you have to always eat these seeds?? Once you stop wont you have a monsterous appetite??
  • tangledinplaidd
    tangledinplaidd Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hardly a secret when it aired on Dr.Oz lol, I have been wanting to try this also, I probably will now for sure lol. I am just wondering will you have to always eat these seeds?? Once you stop wont you have a monsterous appetite??

no. you just won't feel as full all day.
  • Tanster68
    Options
    We in Australia LOVE chia seeds - we produce more than any other country. I use them in my food as well as my cats' food because one of my kitties has arthritis and a few other health issues. I figure they can only help his health. You can buy them (black or white versions) from an Australian company but I won't put links on here as I don't want to be seen as advertising. Good luck :)
  • Cbcarter08
    Cbcarter08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • anastasiawildflower
    Options
    Synergy Kombucha now makes I think three flavors with chia seeds already in them:
    I love the raspberry

http://askanesty.blogspot.com/2011/09/gts-synergy-kombucha-with-chia.html
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    So uncanny you posted this, I just made a mousse like dessert, and used them in it for their gel like consistency.
    It says on the packet you can use to replace guar gum, oils or eggs in recipes.
    Thanks for your post.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    ch-ch-ch-chia! will a pottery dog grow in my tummy?
    Hahahaha I'm going to laugh now when I try them.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Tanster68, please do put the link up!

Would love to know where you get them in Aus.