Posture...then and now. Yoga question

Options
I have been slouching (literally) for most of my life (I'm 47). My yoga instructor is really helping me to keep my shoulders back and my shoulder blades down, and I think I am making progress. What I want to know is, is it possible anatomically to reverse so many years of poor posture. Can I retrain muscle and bone to stand straight?

Replies

• cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can reteach your body. It just might take awhile. Good luck.
  • Gulfislander
    Options
    Yes. Yoga will activate the muscles associated with poor posture, strengthening the entire core area. The key is to remain focused inwardly, breath and relax and to not push postures or poses. Allow the results to develop over time. But you should remember, there is no perfect posture. Our bodies will remain their own distinct shapes and that's beautiful.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it takes a while and is totally worth the effort. I also got a talking to from my yoga instructor and i have really been working on it :)
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm going through this now with a physical therapist and it is really hard :( She says that you should stand in proper poster a few times a day and close your eyes and breath. It helps your retrain your brain to adapt to that new posture...of course you have to retrain the muscles too. I literally always want to slouch. Sitting up/standing up straight is so uncomfortable, haha.