For anyone who has run a marathon- tengo preguntas

Options
I'm thinking of registering for my first marathon in the spring (so my training would begin early Dec.). This particular race is convenient because its close to home and the timing is almost ideal BUT if I'm reading it correctly I have to finish in under 6 hours which is a 13.7 mile/min pace. I can currently run a half at a 12-13 mile/min pace comfortably and I have done runs up to 16 miles at around a 14 mile/min pace. This feels do-able but I would love second opinions. I would also love to hear what everyone's first marathon time was if you're comfortable sharing it.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I've done one full marathon and many half marathons. There are many variables that go into what race day will bring. If you're just basing your time on your training, then yes, I think you could shave enough time off your 14 min pace to comfortably finish within the 6 hour time frame as your pace will drop with training. My pace for my full was 12:06. I was pleased with my pace given my particular situation (I buried my dad the day before the event and had spent the prior 2.5 weeks in the hospital with him helping him into his next phase of life). However, I was very blessed with the temperature the day of the event. It could have been 70 degrees - it could have been 40. It was 45ish. Had it been a hot day, I don't know what my pace would have been. The course was also very flat - literally zero hills.

Speed up to 7 months later, my fit skinny son who had done several half marathons with me did his first (and only so far) full marathon. His pace was slower than mine. It was a hilly course and the temp hovered around 90 degrees. They black flagged the race at mile 17. Luckily for him, he was passed the mile marker when they steered runners to a shorter 20 mile distance.

So, a 48 year old heavier momma beat her 17 year old wrestling/track son - or so it appears on paper. He is by far a faster runner than I. His half times are around 1:55-2:10. However, I trained for my full marathon. Him? Not so much, but he did do a couple back to back half marathons.

If the stars are aligned in your favor, you'll have no problems - IMO.
  • jill07
    jill07 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I ran my first marathon a month ago and finished in 4:59. As long as you have a good training plan you will do fine. I used Hal Higdon's plan for beginners. You can do it!!!!:happy:
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've done one full marathon and many half marathons. There are many variables that go into what race day will bring. If you're just basing your time on your training, then yes, I think you could shave enough time off your 14 min pace to comfortably finish within the 6 hour time frame as your pace will drop with training. My pace for my full was 12:06. I was pleased with my pace given my particular situation (I buried my dad the day before the event and had spent the prior 2.5 weeks in the hospital with him helping him into his next phase of life). However, I was very blessed with the temperature the day of the event. It could have been 70 degrees - it could have been 40. It was 45ish. Had it been a hot day, I don't know what my pace would have been. The course was also very flat - literally zero hills.

Speed up to 7 months later, my fit skinny son who had done several half marathons with me did his first (and only so far) full marathon. His pace was slower than mine. It was a hilly course and the temp hovered around 90 degrees. They black flagged the race at mile 17. Luckily for him, he was passed the mile marker when they steered runners to a shorter 20 mile distance.

So, a 48 year old heavier momma beat her 17 year old wrestling/track son - or so it appears on paper. He is by far a faster runner than I. His half times are around 1:55-2:10. However, I trained for my full marathon. Him? Not so much, but he did do a couple back to back half marathons.

If the stars are aligned in your favor, you'll have no problems - IMO.

Thanks!! You mentioned temp- thats exactly why I want to do this one rather than waiting. I just moved to a MUCH warmer climate than I've ever lived in and I know I will have a much harder time training in the summers here. I'll also look into how flat the course is, I have no idea, thats a good point.
  • Samerah12
    Options
    I ran my first marathon a month ago and finished in 4:59. As long as you have a good training plan you will do fine. I used Hal Higdon's plan for beginners. You can do it!!!!:happy:

Thanks!! I've used Hal for every race I've done up to this point. You were comfortable doing 26 miles after maxing out at only 20 miles training though? That part scares me a little...
  • maggiemay365
    maggiemay365 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have ran 4 marathons and did allof the proper training. The book I used was the "Non runners guide to marathon training"
    it is a published book,it has a picture of a runner running in the rain..this program works and it will get you to train in the 5 hour time frame. 5 hours is a good-doable pace. I really would strongly suggest getting this book.
    Good luck and remember Marthoning is addictive!:flowerforyou:
  • jill07
    jill07 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Thanks!! I've used Hal for every race I've done up to this point. You were comfortable doing 26 miles after maxing out at only 20 miles training though? That part scares me a little...

Yes-I was worried too but everyone told me 20 miles was enough and they were right. I thought the last 6.2 would be awful but as long as you don't start out too fast and fuel well the excitement of the day gets you through!
  • Samerah12
    Options

Yes-I was worried too but everyone told me 20 miles was enough and they were right. I thought the last 6.2 would be awful but as long as you don't start out too fast and fuel well the excitement of the day gets you through!

Thats great to know, thanks!!