Too much protein?

Options
What happens if you consistently go over your protein amount? I've noticed that I often go over the recommended amount. Anyone know? Thanks in advance :wink:

Replies

• bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    What happens if you consistently go over your protein amount? I've noticed that I often go over the recommended amount. Anyone know? Thanks in advance :wink:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Hey :) You might want to check out the carb/protein ratio thread, there is information about nutrition in there.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter so much. Especially if you are exercising. Judge accordingly, but I would call the amount derived on this site to be for diet only and does not account for exercise. My personal protein target is about 70% greater than what the site would allot me by default.
  • ChimyWang
    Options
    This is a very controversial topic amongst nutritonalists. For the average individual protein consumption should be only 22% of your daily calorie intake, but many sports nutrtionalist suggest 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight, but some suggest the RDA amount of 22%. It takes longer for the body to breakdown protein then carbs and that is the reason why nutrtionalist and the food guide pyramid suggest carbs as the biggest food group from which an individual should derive there calorie intake from. What many people fail to see is that a balance between carbs and protein is best. Calorie intake is what the individual should be mostly worry about. Personal fitness goals must be calculated into the equation as well. If an individual wants to lose weight then the main focus should be calories intake. The reason why so many high protein low carb diets see good results in weight lose is because high protein diets make you lose water weight in general. That is why the individual easily gains back the water weight once the individual gets off the diet. High protein diets are great if you want to look good in that bathing suit at the beach or that concert where you know girls will be starring but if you want your goals to stay with you in the long-run I suggest you consume 55% of your calorie intake
    from carbs, 30% from protein, and the rest from healthy fats, like flax seed oil (omegas; also found in fish). If you're planning on going to the beach plan your diet 2 weeks ahead and slowly start to decrease your percentage of carbs and increase your protein consumption. This will make you lose the water wright you have and also push water into your muscles which will make you look much leaner. Keeping High protein diets low carb diets for too long will cause your body to work harder to break down the food your consuming and convert it into energy. That's why people seem to have a decrease in energy when on low carb diets. An awesome diet to follow is the Abs Diet then when you want to whip out the bathing suit switch to the Atkins diet. Try that and see how you feel and look.

Everyones body is different and results vary but the majority of fitness models and do this. I should know my cousin is a fashion model and my brother is a fitness model. Me I'm just a health freak and love the fact that I know your vody is a science experiment and have tried almost every single experiment there is (of course I mean when dealing with food and excersise).

Hopefully I answered your question and if you have any more questions or comment please feel free to reply. Well I wish you great luck in not only your fitness goals but life goals. Just remember before receiving any information or advise dealing from physical health to mental health, always have an open mind and objective mind. Know both sides to any argument and remeber that knowing is not enough, but we must apply (I got that from Bruce Lee; know he's a fitness guri/philosophy person that everyone should read know about).