Vegetarian Diet

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Hey all!
With my recent decision to embrace a vegetarian lifestyle (baconaterian actually - you can have my bacon when you pry it from my cold greasy hands, besides I rarely eat it), I need to know what additional concerns I should take into account for in my diet? I focus on calories, protein, and fiber usually, so almost everything I eat is loaded with them.

What other concerns are there? How about anemia?

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Hey all!
    With my recent decision to embrace a vegetarian lifestyle (baconaterian actually - you can have my bacon when you pry it from my cold greasy hands, besides I rarely eat it), I need to know what additional concerns I should take into account for in my diet? I focus on calories, protein, and fiber usually, so almost everything I eat is loaded with them.

What other concerns are there? How about anemia?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian but ya, watch your iron. I don't eat much meat/meat substitutes at all and awhile ago I discovered I was barely getting any iron). Also watch your fats. Fats are good, make sure you get enough of them. Are you giving up dairy and eggs too? I always wanted to be a vegetarian, but I just can't give up my fish and chicken. :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Anemia, vitamin B12 deficiency (this is VERY important because it can lead to death more easily than other deficiencies), vitamin D deficiency, calcium deficiency, zinc deficiency, and not getting essential amino acids (complete proteins). You can get complete proteins from dairy and eggs. Or you can make them by mixing beans with rice or bread with cheese. Monitor the vitamins, take a multivitamin, but don't rely on it to meet those dietary requirements.
  • Faithopeloves
    Faithopeloves Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I have been a vegetarian for the last 15 years. The main concern is that you can tend to fill up on carbs too much by cutting out meat. Make sure you eat only whole grains, and no refined sugars (high fructose corn syrup, etc. Also, avoid hydrogenated oils). Being a vegetarian does not mean you will be skinny...with that, I highly recommend the book "Skinny *****" it is actually about being vegan...also, check out Dr. Oz's book "You on a Diet". People often think you miss out on protien, but there is quite a bit of protien in things like lentils, beans, nuts, whole grains, and soy products. Don't go too heavy on the soy products though...
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    If you are not vegan, then Iron is the main concern, but usually only for women - as men can actually get too much. If you eat basically healthy meals, I wouldn't worry about it much. You are probably as likely to have a deficiency as any other person. Think about what the typical American (or Brit) eats - do you think they worry about fiber or folic acid?
  • avr1321
    Options
    when i first became a vegetarian it was hard to keep up my iron. i started taking a daily iron supplement along with my multi vitamin. if you don't take a multi vitamin then you should start now.
    good luck with being a vegetarian!! if you have any questions or need any help you can just ask me! i've been one for a few years, so i know a lot about it. :happy:
  • spiritmi
    spiritmi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    have been a vegetarian for 18 years...am very healthy but overweight because i eat way too many carbs...you might want to add omega 3s in the way of flaxseed oil since you wont be getting any fish oil...there is a great fake bacon out there that you might consider trying...good luck
  • lolakey
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for over 14 years now. I eat beans w/brown rice almost daily. I also make my own bread w flax seed (omegas) and whole wheat flour. I add flax to almost everything. Nuts are great, coconut milk, as are avocados for fat and protein. I also cook almost everything in cast iron skillets for iron.

I was anemic when I was a child (when I still ate meat) and when I was pregnant (when I added chicken and fish to my diet), but I haven't been since then. Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck.