Making a whole chicken in crock pot tomorrow

Options
That is as far as I have gotten for planning...

And I am planning on storing a lot of it in some way, as I live alone.

Any input greatly appreciated!

Oh, I have never used a crockpot before, and I'm not very familiar with cooking in general (only started about a year ago).

Replies

• Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I don't have any recipes and haven't ever made chicken in a crock pot... but I recommend seasoning the chicken heavily with salt and pepper. Especially if you're cooking it whole.
  • twinmommy3
    twinmommy3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is a weekly meal in my house. I peel the skin off the chicken, shove on onion inside, and spinkle it with BBQ Chicken seasoning. Cook on low for 8 hrs.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    Don't overload on the salt!

Be sure you have removed the neck, heart, lungs, etc from the center.

I recommend smoked paprika, sea salt, 3 cloves fresh garlic, basil, and pepper. Place 1 peeled onion,2 stalks of celery and 2 carrots in the pot with the chicken, add 1 c. water or white wine, cover and cook on low 10 - 12 hours. Discard the onion, celery and carrots.

At this point you can cool and strain your broth and portion out your chicken.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Lots of fresh garlic and thyme.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Hate to admit to it but the last time I did a whole bird in a slow cooker I
    1 chicken, skin removed
    1/2 teaspoon garlic pepper
    2 cup beer
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon dried sage

Cooked it on low for about 8 hours.

The beer adds a few calories but mostly burns off {so I was told} and I would avoid using the cook off as a gravy base.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    It works really well. Make sure you take out the innards if they are included.

Great Luck to you!

I am in love with my crockpot. Although i don't eat a lot of chicken. It is so useful for a great many recipes
  • oftheearth
    oftheearth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, everyone!

I added paprika, sea salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic, and some lemon seasoning stuff. I cooked it with a few celery stalks and beer.

Tastes pretty good, excited to do it again and even better next time!