Cheat Meals - good or bad??

After a month of no weight lost I decided to up my calories, count my protein intake, start walking again and boom 2lbs down.

Usually I have friday as my ceat meal night but iv been thinking today, do i need it??? should I reward myself with food after losing weight? doesnt this defeat the object???

what does everyone else thing??

Are cheat meals ok???

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    dude, after about 4 weeks without a loss, i did the same thing. upped my calories and start counting protein more.

however, i'm rewarding myself with some new sneakers, a weight lifting belt, and maybe some new cold weather work out gear. stay away from food rewards.

that is not to say that you shouldn't be enjoying yourself.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    I don't know if they're good for you physically, but they mentally bring me down. If I didn't feel guilty after, then maybe I would have an occasional cheat meal... structuring my diet has really helped the rest of my life fall in place, though, so I'm more comfortable just sticking with my routine.
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 423 Member
    I think there is a definite difference between a "cheat meal" and "rewarding" yourself with food, with that said.... I allow myself a guilt free meal once a week, but find the further I come, the less appealing it is, or once it's in front of me, I want a few bites but don't make an actual meal of it... so... no, I do not think you should use food as a reward, but a cheat meal is ok in my book... one of my motto's.... There are times in life when the soul needs that chocolate more than the hips don't! :)

That's my 2 cents!
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    I think the odd cheat meal is fine. In fact a couple of times I have done this and strangely the next day my body let go of more weight. It isn't good to deny yourself things all the time anyway. Have the cheat meal, but i wouldn't make it a regular thing.
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 330 Member
    there is a difference between cheat day and/or meal and rewarding oneself with food... If I have a great weight loss I will buy a new pair of workout pants... something to REWARD myself lol

but once a week I have a cheat night (not in extreme here) because if we deny ourselves EVERYTHING we are more prone to give up in craving them and binge ... which isn't good either I don't think

but that is only my opinion
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    I tink a once a week treat is ok, if you really want it and will feel deprived or like you are "a diet" if you dont have it. Or just save it this week because of the holiday next week!
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    I think just calling it a cheat meal makes it sound dirty and forbidden. I eat whatever in moderation. Some things less often than others. I think having a meal to look forward to is defeating the point of having a healthy relationship with food and I have to keep it fair game mentally. Cheat days seem crazy to me. Who knows what's going on if you don't track it and give in to a whole day of forbidden stuff. I think if you don't have to limit yourself to the cheat meal/day thing/event then you're more likely to enjoy it along side healthy options on a more regular basis and therefore not feel deprived or think this sucks. Also, I think you're more likely to make eating healthy a permanent lifestyle change that you can live with instead of treating it like a diet.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    I agree with the other posters-- I have a cheat day, but I don't think of it as a "reward," just because I don't want the mentality of rewarding myself with food. But I do believe in the cheat meal/day. Maybe I'd lose 1.1 lb a week instead of 1 lb a week, if I didn't enjoy a bigger meal, but that's not worth it to me. Part of life for me is enjoying not worrying TOO much about this, and just relaxing about a meal once in a while.

I think upping cals a bit, and working more cardio/weights seems to be the best way for most of us to break plateaus, unless of course you are just at a healthy weight for your body now. Best of luck!
  • nrimas
    nrimas Posts: 83 Member
    This is very good advice. I think each month has a holiday or opportunity (birthday, wedding, office potluck) for a splurge and adding additional splurges does not help your cause. Remember the rule of 80/20. Do right 80 percent of the time! Each month has enough opportunities to make up the 20 percent splurge without adding more.
  • I allow myself to eat one baby chocolate frog a day, I never crave chocolate, and I dont feel like im missing out :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I don't do cheat meals on purpose, rewards of food are something that our society needs to get away from as a whole! I adore food and enjoy it every day in smaller portions than I used to. Good luck with your decision!
  • birdinho
    birdinho Posts: 86 Member
    Some really good points here. Thanks guys.

I must say that since counting only my protein I have allowed myself food that were seen as too strict when i looked at carbs, cals, fat etc. I have had the odd sandwich this week that I havent before, more fruit (previously worried by sugars) and it has made me happier and the weight lost!

I fancy Pizza tonight so im having Pizza, 2-3 slices and thats fine.

I do need to write up some goals and real rewards instead of food rewards. My ultimate goal is 180lbs and I WILL get a tattoo when I hit that!! I just need some mini goals to get going and focus less on strict food counting.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    Cheating can actually help you burn more fat when you do it correctly. If you're eating a pretty clean diet, it's a good idea to take a day once a week to eat whatever you want to keep your fat storage hormones (namely, leptin) in check. Google "strategic overfeeding" for more info.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Cheating can actually help you burn more fat when you do it correctly. If you're eating a pretty clean diet, it's a good idea to take a day once a week to eat whatever you want to keep your fat storage hormones (namely, leptin) in check. Google "strategic overfeeding" for more info.
    ^^ this
    you beat me to it :grumble: :flowerforyou:
    If you are in a calorie deficit for an extrendetd period of time, your leptin levels will drop by about 60%. That will encourage production of stress hormones that make you store fat. Having a day off brings them up to normal.
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    I have one indulgent meal a week, I feel it keeps me grounded and not one of these health dictator types that assume fast food chain x is a corporation designed solely for the purpose of killing children ;)

I kid, but in reality I have one indulgent meal a week to stop the chance of feeling like I'm depriving myself from the naughty things in life, we all have a naughty side and I think it's best I at least humour mine before it goes insane.